Stock Options

Looking through the pic thread I noticed very few rock the TAPCO T6 - AK Folding Stock for Stamped Receivers, mostly the ace one. Is there a reason? If you are on a budget anything wrong with the T6 folder or should I go with the T6 M4 style?

The Tapco is a lot of stock for the money.

The Ace is more expensive, but a more robust stock.

You pays your money and makes your choices...

i would've bought the tapco folding stock if it folded to the left instead of the right. just my preference, but i want the ability to charge and fire with the stock folded.

went with the tapco t6 collapsable and i'm happy with it. i couldn't afford an ace folder. and i also wasn't excited with the idea of cutting off the tang on the back of the receiver. can anyone tell me if it's bad to use a standard ak stock on a tangless receiver?

eventually, i'd like to get a romanian folding stock. it uses the factory tang, and you can operate the gun with it folded

...If you are on a budget ...

Bottom line^^

I will probably catch hell for this from the full convert fans, but here goes....

IMO, Tapco M4 collapsable/pistol or a RAA skeleton stock is the way to go IMO. Reasoning is as follows:

1) Very cheap relative to full converts... under $60-90 versus $200+ in parts and much more in tools/time/gunsmithing for full converts

2) Easy DIY... about 30min or less you don't read any stories on having a screwed up gun (worst that can happen is maybe loose stock that's an easy 5min fix with Dremel and/or bigger screws)

3) 922r. The skeleton stocks keeps sport config, and the gun is compliant with any mags. For Tapco M4 collapsable, you have pistol grip and need US made mags to be compliant.

4) Easy to change back. Obama administration will likely try to reinstate the "AR ban" and other controls like the Aussies, Brits, etc have. If gun laws change in the future and you only added a DIY stock, you can easily switch your Saiga to the factory Saiga buttstock (and maybe 2rd mags depending on future laws). Hope for the best, but always plan for the worst. Join NRA and vote for Ron Paul... /soapbox.

If you really want a Saiga folding stock, you will need to add pistol grip and move the trigger group. That makes trigger pull lighter, but trigger pull is not bad to begin with, and the convert opens a whole new list of issues. First, you're gonna fork out a good deal of $ for parts and at the gunsmith... plus missed shooting time. If you try to do the pistol grip + trigger group conversion yourself, it's doable. However, parts are still costly, and if you are not experienced it will take a lot of time + frustration (hint: read a LOT on these forums and GL). You will read plenty of stories on these forums and others about screwed up Saigas after DIY full pistol/trigger conversions (sometimes even bad results with pro gunsmiths), and their warranty is void due to those alterations. Finally, if gun laws change and you have to convert your Saiga back to sporting config, get ready for much more $, time, gunsmith, etc than if you hadn't done the full convert.

If you have a big time and $ budget (for both the initial convert and potential back conversion down the line), then go for the full convert and have a blast. Many people like full convert to pistol grip + folder stock + advaced trigger group and feel it's worth the costs/risks. Personally, I'd rather use that $ for ammo, range, mags, and other guns/accessories. Again, JMO. As was mentioned, it's your gun, your $.

Edited by slyguy

I agree. No doubt a converted gun is better and worth the money, but I like the idea of easy turning my saiga back into a 5 shot "sporting" weapon in just a few minutes.

Add if the Zombie's attack, I convert it back into a tactical weapon easy also.

Bottom line^^

I will probably catch hell for this from the full convert fans, but here goes....

IMO, Tapco M4 collapsable/pistol or a RAA skeleton stock is the way to go IMO. Reasoning is as follows:

1) Very cheap relative to full converts... under $60-90 versus $200+ in parts and much more in tools/time/gunsmithing for full converts

2) Easy DIY... about 30min or less you don't read any stories on having a screwed up gun (worst that can happen is maybe loose stock that's an easy 5min fix with Dremel and/or bigger screws)

3) 922r. The skeleton stocks keeps sport config, and the gun is compliant with any mags. For Tapco M4 collapsable, you have pistol grip and need US made mags to be compliant.

4) Easy to change back. Obama administration will likely try to reinstate the "AR ban" and other controls like the Aussies, Brits, etc have. If gun laws change in the future and you only added a DIY stock, you can easily switch your Saiga to the factory Saiga buttstock (and maybe 2rd mags depending on future laws). Hope for the best, but always plan for the worst. Join NRA and vote for Ron Paul... /soapbox.

If you really want a Saiga folding stock, you will need to add pistol grip and move the trigger group. That makes trigger pull lighter, but trigger pull is not bad to begin with, and the convert opens a whole new list of issues. First, you're gonna fork out a good deal of $ for parts and at the gunsmith... plus missed shooting time. If you try to do the pistol grip + trigger group conversion yourself, it's doable. However, parts are still costly, and if you are not experienced it will take a lot of time + frustration (hint: read a LOT on these forums and GL). You will read plenty of stories on these forums and others about screwed up Saigas after DIY full pistol/trigger conversions (sometimes even bad results with pro gunsmiths), and their warranty is void due to those alterations. Finally, if gun laws change and you have to convert your Saiga back to sporting config, get ready for much more $, time, gunsmith, etc than if you hadn't done the full convert.

If you have a big time and $ budget (for both the initial convert and potential back conversion down the line), then go for the full convert and have a blast. Many people like full convert to pistol grip + folder stock + advaced trigger group and feel it's worth the costs/risks. Personally, I'd rather use that $ for ammo, range, mags, and other guns/accessories. Again, JMO. As was mentioned, it's your gun, your $.

Couldn't agree more. But I live in Mass., where we can't have the evil pistol grip. Just recently put on the skeleton stock and I like it to a point. It is much shorter, and has a metal plate. Recoil seemed much stronger with it, and the chicken wing seemed to stick up a bit higher than the Monte stock. That being said, the extra space is begging for a limbsaver.

My trigger is nice and smooth in its original state and I am not getting any trigger slap, so I am not currently planning on a conversion.

Bottom line^^

• 3 weeks later...

:devil: I call grandfather rule!!! Even the Obama man can't take it away although you may have to register it as an assault rifle, pay a fee and abide by rules of use and transport and own it all the way to the grave with the inability to pass it on to next in kin. I say convert it but then again CA has me all crazy talkin' and looking for loop holes!