Are there any suppressors available for sale for the S12. I was wanting something bigger and better at suppression. Maybe something w/ a breaching type accessory.

I heard that Tony messed w/ a can a little. Looking for something to put on a SBS.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16371 is the thread that covered Tony's venture with it. you said you heard of it, but if you hadn't read the thread yet, check it out

There's a few of us working on them......... :rolleyes:

Shottys take a new type can or they will fill up with "Crap" in a hurry.

There is some guy that made one, tactical operations.com, & apparantly it is not one that comes apart but cleaning is done by immersion in naphtha? That suppressor weighl like almost 4lbs! It is also a wet type & allegedly work very very well. Still not quite no country for old men good but rather good.

Are you saying that some of the wad will end up in the can, or is shotgun ammo just extra dirty?

thanks for the link to that thread

How about on an over under? http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

Interesting link: http://guns.connect.fi/rs/rifles.html

Video: The dischargs is about the same level as the sound of the slide racking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j5P0LXemAA

Info: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...17000813AAVxpKj

US Made version, posted in 2000: http://www.tacticaloperations.com/swatsep2000/

While I do applaud the research that others are doing, No one I know of has ever made one work satisfactorily.

I think that is a funny thing to say. They are suppressors not silencers. Even tony's first version eliminated the need for hearing protection, at least outside, w/ like a 8" barrel. I would be thrilled with that. I bet there might be some of the intetgrally suppressed euro models that are very good at it. Admittedly, hollywood quiet would be even sweeter...

The OD on that Tactical Operations can is 2.75". Wonder if that is too big to use factory S12 sights? I'll mic it when I get home.

While I do applaud the research that others are doing, No one I know of has ever made one work satisfactorily.

I think that is a funny thing to say. They are suppressors not silencers. Even tony's first version eliminated the need for hearing protection, at least outside, w/ like a 8" barrel. I would be thrilled with that. I bet there might be some of the intetgrally suppressed euro models that are very good at it. Admittedly, hollywood quiet would be even sweeter...

What is the difference? Do you know? How about break it down for me? :rolleyes:

The truth is if it was successful project I would imagine that we would be seeing more of it. He reported that he got differing results with different loads. I would think that Tony is as able as any European Firearms Engineer.

But think and read what you like, a suppressed shotgun has been tried and the results have never been satisfactory. It may happen, but I have seen two attempts and they were no where near worth the weight they added to the firearm. The other factor that might make them worthwhile would be a reduction in discharge temperate.

Now, any idea why?

What if you ported the barrel DRASTICALLY and then screwed a suppressor over it so you can keep the weight/length down...

Thoughts?

That would be callled an integrally suppressed barrel. That is how a lot of those english shotguns are suppressed, even double barrels believe it or not. There is little difference b/t doing that & attaching a perforated barrel extension & baffles etc aroudnd it to the muzzle of a short barrel shotgun. The advantage of the detachable can is that you can have your SBS. THe advantage of integrally suppressed is that you only need the one tax stamp for the suppressor.

THe difference b/t a silencer & a "sound suppressor" is sort of like the difference b/t a "clip" & a magazine in that it is a suppressor not a silencer. (notwithstanding that there is such a thing called a clip, but a magazine is not a clip) Silencer is a improper & misleading term for a suppressor. Some suppressors are more quiet than others depending on the design & the cartridge being fired etc.

BTW, I wouldn't suggest that Tony is lesser that some euro. I was simply stating that as opposed to europe where people have had a lot more of a market & time to evolve shotgun cans, tony was able to develop something that is satisfactory in his first try, which is to say that it is a good start & there is probably room for improvement still.

Satisfactory is a relative term. If you desire is to shoot your shotgun in town w/o your next door neighbors hearing it in their yard than perhaps no shotgun can is satisfactory. If you object is to prevent hearing damage & you &/or bystanders, or two reduce noise pollution in ranges in developed areas or whatever, than shotgun cans can be satisfactory.

So if you say that no shotgun can you have ever heard is satisfactory to you than you are absolutely right. At least you are actually speaking from experience. That is cool.

I would suspect, that a can that was near the silence end of sound suppression would be so big it would make the gun a special purpose tool only not fit for a fighing or upland game gun.

Edited by rightwingnut

If a person were to design a lightweight suppressor that works, the advantage would be that you can have a one ounce projectile(s) going around 1000 FPS (subsonic), instead of a smaller 147 gr - 300 gr projectile.

The knockdown power at subsonic speeds would still be devastating!

The suppressor project performed satisfactorily, at least to us.

Tony doesn't build or sell anything with a small market share, and the truth is that the S-12 silencer is a boutique product with a very limited market.

Bob, I am sure that you know what you are talking about, I have never seen the Tromix fire. I just know what I read.

I shot some 00 buck shot through it, and the sound was knocked down enough that I didn't need ear protection.

It's still not real quiet though. I am going to make a few more mods to it (as time permits) and see if I can get a bit more sound reduction out of it.

Tony

So how much db reduction did you achieve?

And this has been my experiences with the ones I have seen, quieter then the naked barrel, not quiet enough to be worth the weight and expense.

So how much db reduction did you achieve?

And this has been my experiences with the ones I have seen, quieter then the naked barrel, not quiet enough to be worth the weight and expense.

You can't really measure the reduction. That is, it's not trivial to do so; since the overall perception of sound pressure must be measured over time and analyzed it requires very specialized equipment.

That said, I thought it was pretty cool to fire a 12 gauge without hearing protection. Whether or not it's worthwhile is a judgement call, of course, but I would think that it would have CQB applications. Of course Tony made it just for fun.

I hear that a lot of tactical carbine shooters lately are using "short cans" for their guns. They are more compact than most cans. They aren't quiet, but they do remove need for hearing protection.

Yeah, this is the new trend. We've already made a few. Like this one on a PS90.

post-2775-1245420468_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobAsh

For me the biggest benefit would be taming the blast off of the 8" barrel. I shoot my Saiga in local matches and the suppressor would give a little more back pressure and allow me to wear just a regular set of ear plugs without ear muffs and not end up with ringing in my ears at the end of a full day of shooting.

I don't care if it is hollywood quiet, I just want to keep that concussive blast off of my face or I might end up loosing a tooth like Bob!

There are LONG barrel extensions that tame the blast and retort considerably. These are 30 -36" long, so they are not good for close quarters, but trap or range shooting woul be cool. They are also not regulated!

That movie is awesome!!! I recomend it. Still tring to figure out the the air powerd thingie was and why his "silencer" sounded like a laser beam!

The air power thingie is something that they shoot into cattle's heads when they are getting slauthered. It doesn't kill them just fucks them up big time, then the people haul the cattle into the air and cut the throuts.

That movie is awesome!!! I recomend it. Still tring to figure out the the air powerd thingie was and why his "silencer" sounded like a laser beam!

The air power thingie is something that they shoot into cattle's heads when they are getting slauthered. It doesn't kill them just fucks them up big time, then the people haul the cattle into the air and cut the throuts.

I also question the physics of how you can hold a little light pneumatic wand in your hand that doesn't weigh much & project those locks out of the door w/o the wand kicking back from the door w/ equal velocity.

Was that part in the movie that the TL Jones character tells that story about that guy getting injured while trying to slaugter a cow a way of informing the audience about what that pneumatic device was that the hitman was using? I wonder if that little scene was in the book?

• 2 months later...

are there any updates or has anyone found a screw on suppressor for the s-12? i saw a video of one on you tube i think or somewhere but it think the whole barrel was suppressed....thanks for any info

It was probably one of the Red Jacket videos that you saw. Those videos were of an integrally suppressed Saiga 12, but Red Jacket can make it as a screw on suppressor as well, but I think they only make the screw on suppressor for the 8 inch barreled Saiga 12s made by them or Tromix. Red Jacket is a business member here, so if you want more details you could send them a PM, or of course just go through the contact page on their website.