This is my first time converting a rifle and I just want to make sure I got this right.

I want to keep it in a draganov look so if I change the buttstock and forarm (US) than it's 922 comp as long as I use 10rd mags (US). Otherwise I'd have to change the FCG and than its all good. And if I change one, say the buttstock, than I have to change other things to be compliant ....correct?

Edited by Arik
This is my first time converting a rifle and I just want to make sure I got this right.

I want to keep it in a draganov look so if I change the buttstock and forarm (US) than it's 922 comp as long as I use 10rd mags (US). Otherwise I'd have to change the FCG and than its all good....correct?

Welcome Aboard!

we have the most comprehensive 922R section on the internet...

Please stare there.... there are some very good spreadsheets in the stickies....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=65

I want to keep it in a draganov look so if I change the buttstock and forarm (US) than it's 922 comp as long as I use 10rd mags (US). Otherwise I'd have to change the FCG and than its all good....correct?

Welcome Aboard!

we have the most comprehensive 922R section on the internet...

Please stare there.... there are some very good spreadsheets in the stickies....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=65

Thanks!

Would this be considered compliant?

http://www.saigastock.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=212

How is it that replacing a Russian stock with a Russian stock is non-compliant?

Only thing I can think of is that that spacific stock replacement is not a "sport" or "hunting" style. But I'm new to this so I'm prolly wrong

How is it that replacing a Russian stock with a Russian stock is non-compliant?

To be 922r compliant, there must be ten or fewer listed foreign parts. The Saiga-308 is imported with 14 listed foreign parts. Swapping one Russian stock for another still leaves you with 14 (not compliant).

Now the thing is, as long as swapping that stock all you do (and you don't use magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds), 922r doesn't apply. It's only when you want to add one of the 'evil' features (magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, flash hider, pistol grip, etc.) that you need to worry about 922r.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Manufactured by: Izhmash-Russian Manufacturer=No....

You're wrong. They import the rifle with that exact stock installed, and other AKs with the same style stock installed. It is a legal sporting configuration, therefore, he is still legal and does not have to comply with 922r, so long as he makes no other changes (hi cap mags, flash hiders, etc) that would put it in a non-sporting configuration. 922r doesn't say that you can't make any changes; it just says that you can't assemble an assault rifle from imported parts. So long as the finished product would be importable, he is good to go.

This is why my converted S-308 doesn't need to comply with 922r (even though it has enough US parts) until I lock a high capacity magazine into it. With the Choate thumbhole stock and standard AK trigger group, it is still a legal importable AK, since other AKs are imported in the same configuration, and 922r doesn't say anything about where the trigger has to be. The relocated trigger is just something Saiga does to make it work with the sporting stock that they usually use.

Edited by Netpackrat