New Saiga Packaging

Do you remember what your new saiga was like in terms of packaging? I've seen a youtube video where a saiga had some kind of chemically-treated brown paper wrapping all over the rifle. Now I've just received my rifle the other day and it was nothing like that. It came in a yellow plastic bag. Could the dealer be trying to pass off a used saiga as a new one?

Do you remember what your new saiga was like in terms of packaging? I've seen a youtube video where a saiga had some kind of chemically-treated brown paper wrapping all over the rifle. Now I've just received my rifle the other day and it was nothing like that. It came in a yellow plastic bag. Could the dealer be trying to pass off a used saiga as a new one?

both of mine were in a box from russia, neither were wrapped. long brown box with import info and the cleaning kit/oil container/mag were in heavily taped green bags. were they including all the extras with them?? cleaning rod comes with it too... never heard of a yellow plastic bag....

It came with the brown box from IZHMASH, but there was no brown wrapping paper inside. There was a delay on the NICS so I haven't gotten the chance to inspect the rifle personally yet.

both boxes of mine were opened, I assume the dealer just pitched the extra papers.... the new one I bought was the last one they had so it was sitting out as the display.... you'll probably be fine, just give it real good look over and check over everything

my saiga 223 came in the brown paper. it was marked on a safety warning card as "inhibitor paper". the warning advised to wash hands thoroughly after contact and not to eat for 30 minutes. it was advised also to discard after opening.

my saiga 223 came in the brown paper. it was marked on a safety warning card as "inhibitor paper". the warning advised to wash hands thoroughly after contact and not to eat for 30 minutes. it was advised also to discard after opening.

Every one I have ever received new or used came with the brown oil paper wrappers, except the used one, never have seen any plastic bags,..

The yellow bag may also be a form of VCI. The paper is actually somewhat expensive and some of the newer plastic products do a better job with less harsh chemicals... You could have just gotten whatever packing material they had on the packing table. There are a number of country's that won't allow imports with VCI paper as they consider it toxic.

Edit: Yep just found a "low tox" VCI poly bag that is 4 mil and has a light yellow color. Made for firearms packing. So thats probably all it is.

Check the bolt for paint wear, if it has most of the paint its pretty new. The rails the bolt rides on is also a good place to check, one of mine has 200 rounds through it and has a large number of scuffs. So if your paint looks good its new.

Edited by csspecs

My new '09 7.62 came in a plastic bag. The bag was open, the shop owner just looked to check serial numbers. I am sure that mine was new, maybe the Ruskies caught hell for shipping in toxic paper.......

My '08 223 came in the paper.......

mine came in a long carboard box with the brown papers all over it. Mine's an 06 dimpled gun tho. Did you gun come with the oil can, cleaning kit and offical papers? LOL , btw, your cat pic looks like she/he is about to shit themself :haha2:

Edited by Vultite
Those of you who got the evil brown.... Just whatever happens make sure you annihilate the toxic paper ASAP!!!! Your life may depend on it! :lolol:

maybe we can complain and say our kids got gential cancer and we'll get free guns :devil:

Every one I have ever received new or used came with the brown oil paper wrappers, except the used one, never have seen any plastic bags,..

this has been my experience as well..

Those of you who got the evil brown.... Just whatever happens make sure you annihilate the toxic paper ASAP!!!! Your life may depend on it! :lolol:

Yeah I found the Russian instructions on what to do with the inhibitor paper pretty hilarious. We are instructed to annihilate the paper! Not just discard, not even to burn, but to annihilate it. :lol:

I burned it and then shot the ashes for good measure. Annihilated. :D

To the topic, yeah my S-12 came wrapped in the evil inhibitor paper.. the factory mag in its own wrap of said paper, and the cleaning rod as well. I still have the cleaning rod wrapped in that paper in my closet.. I wonder if it's slowly poisoning me!? :eek::lol:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Yeah I found the Russian instructions on what to do with the inhibitor paper pretty hilarious. We are instructed to annihilate the paper! Not just discard, not even to burn, but to annihilate it. :lol:

To the topic, yeah my S-12 came wrapped in the evil inhibitor paper.. the factory mag in its own wrap of said paper, and the cleaning rod as well. I still have the cleaning rod wrapped in that paper in my closet.. I wonder if it's slowly poisoning me!? :eek::lol:

I have received 20 Saiga 12s in the last 2 months and a few Saiga 7.62x39s and every one of the S12s came wrapped in the brown paper......all of the x39s came in yellow plastic bags. Don't know what the difference is.

I have received 20 Saiga 12s in the last 2 months and a few Saiga 7.62x39s and every one of the S12s came wrapped in the brown paper......all of the x39s came in yellow plastic bags. Don't know what the difference is.

*shrug* I dunno. The two materials probably work very similarly. My S-12's came in the eeeeeeevilll paper and my rifle came in a clear plastic bag, (since it's an SGL20 and not straight from Izhmash/Izhevsk). I don't see any problem/concern here unless someone gets a NIB Izhmash product that has rust on it when they receive it.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

O no! My S-12 that I have kept NIB unfired is still in the evil brown paper!!

Nah...I picked up my Saiga 12K less than two weeks ago and it's exactly like what you said...in a yellowish plastic bag....which was in a brown cardboard box...The paper you speak of was wrapped around an IZHMASH 8 round magazine I picked up also that day...

All of my Saigas came in the brown paper, + cleaning gear, papers, etc.

I saved some of that chemically treated paper. Ya know, in case I'm ever in a situation where I need to poison someone at a birthday party or similar situation. I'll wrap the present in that shit. Or maybe fold it into the shape of an envelope, and then have someone lick it closed for me.

<----Always thinking ahead.

I hate to ruin your day but its much less toxic then lead, and we all know that stuff kills on contact :rolleyes: ... So you would have to make them an evil brown paper suit and get them to wear it everyday for a couple years for anything to even possibly happen.

The workers in the factory probably handle the stuff with their hands and with little ventilation every day and still live to a ripe old age of 40 or 45.

The yellow poly bags are probably better for ship transport then the paper. They probably only used the paper out of habit not because its better.

My russki side by side came covered in grease wrapped in VCI paper in a vacuum sealed bag inside another bag. But it was blued not painted so that makes a difference.

I just picked it up a while ago. It looks new.

On a sidenote, it has dimples :)

Anyone want to trade their fully converted saiga with mine? Still NIB, not a round shot through it.

I just handled it briefly a while ago and now my hand is really sticky after washing it with detergent a couple of times. Could it be the toxic compound?

Edit: It's starting to itch. I'm getting worried.

Edited by GoodFriendlyNeighbor
I just picked it up a while ago. It looks new.

On a sidenote, it has dimples :)

Anyone want to trade their fully converted saiga with mine? Still NIB, not a round shot through it.

I just handled it briefly a while ago and now my hand is really sticky after washing it with detergent a couple of times. Could it be the toxic compound?

Edit: It's starting to itch. I'm getting worried.

I received mine two weeks ago and it was wrapped in yellow plastic. The plastic is not as greasy feeling as the brown paper. that my older Saiga came wrapped in.

Whadda ya guys talkin' about? I've been using that bag for oven baking my turkeys on Christmas and Thanksgiving for over 20 years now! In fact, I have a really good recipe that I have concocted that I'll share with ya'll. For this special turkey recipe you will need:

* 1 15-20lb turkey

* 2 cups of Cosmoline

* 1 large bottle of CLP

* 2 boxes of 1000 count Federal primers (may be substituted for Winchester primers, or at half yield for large magnum primers). Soak in CLP overnight.

* 1-3/4 cups of VihtaVouri N-320 smokless powder

* 2 tbsp of minced onion

Prop up the bird in an aluminum roasting pan upright, using the Saiga bayonet. Cut the cleaning rod from the Saiga in half, and use both pieces to spread the inner carcass open. Combine the powder with the cosmoline until you acheive a wet dough-like consistency, and place into carcass as a wonderful stuffing. Use additional smokeless powder for a smokey char rub on the outside, and sprinkle on the minced onion. Check your pot of soaked primers, and discard any that have floated to the top. Drain primers, set aside CLP liquid, and uniformly press primers into skin of turkey, covering the entire bird.

Next, take that brown paper bag, and cover entire turkey, tucking loose edges under bird and bayonet hilt. Set pre-heated oven to 325 degrees, and bake at 12 minutes per lb. Frequently baste under brown Saiga packing bag with reserve CLP.

Enjoy!

I received two brand new 7.62x39 in April, manufactured in 2009. Wrapping was yellowish plastic bag with no noticeable oily coating. So, GFN, you got what I got. I think csspecs is correct, the yellow bag is determined to be more friendly to the enviro than the nasty chemically-treated paper wrapping.

I hate to ruin your day but its much less toxic then lead, and we all know that stuff kills on contact :rolleyes: ... So you would have to make them an evil brown paper suit and get them to wear it everyday for a couple years for anything to even possibly happen.

Looks like I'll have to buy more Saigas and get some more of that paper. I wonder how many Saiga packages it takes to make an evil brown paper suit.

I havent unwrapped nearly as many as Tom and Vicki have, but every new packaged gun was wrapped in the brown infused paper. All 7.62x39's now have the paper sliced with a razor to inspect for 3rd hole by ATF.