WI / IL Gun Laws - transport in a vehicle

In either Illinois or Wisconsin, is it against the law to have loaded detached magazines in the same case with a firearm while transporting? Somebody told me this over the weekend, and I was't aware of that law. He said they can't be in the same enclosure, is there any merit to this?

I was searching for info on this and came up empty.

thanks!

In either Illinois or Wisconsin, is it against the law to have loaded detached magazines in the same case with a firearm while transporting? Somebody told me this over the weekend, and I was't aware of that law. He said they can't be in the same enclosure, is there any merit to this?

I was searching for info on this and came up empty.

thanks!

I'd always just transport your guns unloaded so you are legal anywhere you go... CCW or not.

If your reason for loading the gun or having loaded mags is for defense, that's what a pistol in the glove box, or on your person if you have CCW, is for.

Not sure about Illinois, but in Wisconsin, you can't have a loading magazine in the same case as the firearm...
Good info. Like I said, I always just transport all my guns unloaded with ammo in separate box/case. CCW pistol and home pump gun are the only loaded ones for me unless I'm at the range about to fire. Must suck not having CCW... I guess you have pistol in glove box and mag in console?

For IL laws, maybe try www.learnaboutguns.com ... it's a nice pro-gun site put together by a lawyer from Chicagoland. I've never lived in IL, but he has stuff about the gun laws there.