Tapco Intrafuse Handguard

Well, I got the new Intrafuse handguard for the saiga today from Tapco. I was impressed by the weight, seems a bit lighter then the original handguard (but I could be wrong, I don't have a scale) The rails to install on the Intrafuse kit was really straightfoward and easy to install, but getting the front adapter lined up with the handguard was a pain in the ass. Took me probably 20 minutes of cussing to get it in, it would have gone smoother if the nut in the adapter didn't keep popping out as I was trying to fit everything together. Once installation is complete, it looks pretty good and feels light. The rails seem like they would be in the right spots and they are plastic but seem very sturdy. I don't have pics up yet, that'll be tommorrow. I did install the included sling nut which I assume is intended for a point style sling. Over-all quality seems to be good, I did have to file down the plastic in a few places to get it to fit just right though. I guess I can't expect too much, but it's way better then stock handguard's IMO...like I said, pics tomorrow...

Edited by Vultite

I think the bottom rail is decent enough, the rails are that super hard plastic, but it seems like they would get the job done like any other rails, But I have yet to try and accessories on it yet. I did loctite EVERY bolt while putting it all together, a lesson learned while building the gun to begin with so everything is ROCK SOLID ;) I like the positioning of the rail closer to the rear for better use of a VFG. the side rails being closer to the front seem like a good idea for light/laser or anything else. It is uncomfortable to handle with bare rails, but that can be easliy fixed. Overall it's a good cheap solution, but if I had more money I'd get something like a aluminum rail from one of our other vendors. BUT, it is very lightweight, so it's a give or take thing

EDIT: The rails fit perfectly fine and are easy to install, what needed filing to fit (i mentioned in the first post) is the rear tab area that goes into the front of the rifle, it looked to have too much material and needed some fitting.

Edited by Vultite

Well, the rear of it bolts in like the original handguard with one screw. The front uses an adapter that goes over the area where your gas block meets the barrel and they screw together in a rather neat, but aggravating way. The front was the hardest part for me, but i'm sure results may vary. It holds in solid, but remember, using anything that screws in place, loctite that bitch up. There's abosolutely no retaining plate or clamp or anything messing with the gas tube or barrel which is why I bought this product. BTW, I did buy this from a outside vendor, so where and how much I paid will not be discussed....sorry guys, but the vendors here do have them.

That's a nice looking hand guard. I am one of the few who like the Saiga handguard better than the AK one because it protects your from the hot barrel hands better than the AK one. The Tapco Intrafuse hand guard would be my second choice for my Saiga.

• 2 weeks later...
If you attached a sling to the side rail, how well do you think it would hold together? Also, Do you think someone could add a bottom rail further forward?

I don't see a reason why the sling attached to the side would be an issue, just remember to loctite the bolts when you assemble it. It seems like it would hold just fine, as far as a foward bottom rail....I dunno....i'd it would take more work then it's worth....but that IMO

• 3 weeks later...

The rails are not attached to the handguard when you receive it, so it's up to you if you want the rails on there or not (but please use 242 loctite when installing the rails...). As far as an ultimak tube, I believe there isn't an issue, but I'd contact Tapco first, I didn't have a Ultimak tube on mine.

Edited by Vultite

I got my Intrafuse handguard in but have not installed it yet. The handguard would have to be cut out to work with the Ultimak.

I'm also interested in a side sling but I have a hard time trusting the plastic compared to the metal AK retainer sling mount I have now. The screws holding the rail on are really small, and nothing prevents the side of the handguard from being pulled outward by the sling pressure. I'm considering drilling a hole in the handguard and looping a BlueForce Gear wire loop around the barrel. Heck, maybe I could keep the DinZag retainer inside the Intrafuse and hook onto that.

My goal with the Intrafuse was to shift weight to the rear with the addition of a Dog-Leg scope rail and losing the Ultimak.

Would this work with the Ultimak gas tube mount ?

Great writeup. I installed mine recently and had the same problems as you. Aligning the front adapter was the hardest part. Once that's done though the handguard will slide on and off like the original one. My installation was actually on an early Saiga that held the handguard in place with pressure from the gas tube, but the installation was still the same. I'm not sure why Tapco decided not to mold the nuts into the plastic or at least deliver the handguard with the nuts pressed securely into place. As it comes, you have to place the nuts in place and then insert the screw in from the other side. Most of the time you end up pushing the nut out of place before ever engaging any threads.

I'm a little curious as to why they chose to use a small round single point style attachment for the sling. At least they could have used a QD type sling attachment which would be easier to deal with.

I did have a problem with the handguard staying in place. The screw that holds it in place thorugh the hole in the receiver is very short and barely engagest the threads on the nut in the handguard. I actually ended up just buying a longer screw and cutting it to size.

The only thing I really wish Tapco had done was added the option to hold the cleaning rod in place. Yeah, I know the Saiga wasn't designed like that , but it would have been nice to add that as an option.

• 1 month later...

I dont know what you guys are doing to install these and having so much trouble with the front adapter....

You take the hanguard, put the adapter in, and bolt it up before you put it on the rifle, Took me less than a minute flat to do........................ use your finger to keep the nut in place and screw it together.

It took me less than 5 minutes to bolt on the adapter, install the rails, and bolt it up to the gun.

Overall, its a very light piece, i dont have a scale either but I would say that it weighs approximately the same as the stock handguard, no more no less really. I like the looks of it, as it lets you see the gas tube/ gas block more. The handguard bolted up tight to the rear receiver, didnt have to remove any material on mine, front to back its secured rock solid. The one thing I DONT like, is that theres a little bit of play where it attaches at the front. Side to side play that is, moreso than I had with my stock handguard. Its just enough to make noise when you shift the rifle weight from one side to the other while holding it, and I find it makes the whole handguard feel really cheap, thats more of a knock on how the saiga handguards attach in the first place. I was under the impression these attached differently than stock, but they attach exactly the same. I dont know why they didnt make a simple bolt on device like their galil hand guards... disappointing to say the least

Another thing is the bottom rail flexes A LOT!!! They shouldve used metal rails, with my flashlight mounted to the rail any pressure on the light will cause the rail to deflect and lift off the handguard, not good at all. I cant even imagine trying to use a forward grip with a flexy rail like that, what were they thinking????????

But overall for the price, its a better option than the stock guard, offers more ventilation, and the option to run rails. Just dont expect it to be rock solid or stand up to heavy abuse, because it wont. The screws and nuts they used are TINY, and not the best quality. So you get what you pay for.... honestly i think ill end up getting some kind of metal tri rail in the future, i would only run this if weight (or money) was the ultimate issue.

Edited by jabara572
I dont know what you guys are doing to install these and having so much trouble with the front adapter....

You take the hanguard, put the adapter in, and bolt it up before you put it on the rifle, Took me less than a minute flat to do........................ use your finger to keep the nut in place and screw it together.

It took me less than 5 minutes to bolt on the adapter, install the rails, and bolt it up to the gun.

Overall, its a very light piece, i dont have a scale either but I would say that it weighs approximately the same as the stock handguard, no more no less really. I like the looks of it, as it lets you see the gas tube/ gas block more. The handguard bolted up tight to the rear receiver, didnt have to remove any material on mine, front to back its secured rock solid. The one thing I DONT like, is that theres a little bit of play where it attaches at the front. Side to side play that is, moreso than I had with my stock handguard. Its just enough to make noise when you shift the rifle weight from one side to the other while holding it, and I find it makes the whole handguard feel really cheap, thats more of a knock on how the saiga handguards attach in the first place. I was under the impression these attached differently than stock, but they attach exactly the same. I dont know why they didnt make a simple bolt on device like their galil hand guards... disappointing to say the least

Another thing is the bottom rail flexes A LOT!!! They shouldve used metal rails, with my flashlight mounted to the rail any pressure on the light will cause the rail to deflect and lift off the handguard, not good at all. I cant even imagine trying to use a forward grip with a flexy rail like that, what were they thinking????????

But overall for the price, its a better option than the stock guard, offers more ventilation, and the option to run rails. Just dont expect it to be rock solid or stand up to heavy abuse, because it wont. The screws and nuts they used are TINY, and not the best quality. So you get what you pay for.... honestly i think ill end up getting some kind of metal tri rail in the future, i would only run this if weight (or money) was the ultimate issue.

I have this handguard on my S-12 with a vertical fore-grip and it has been rock solid with absolutely no flexing even with the 12 gauge recoil. I'm in no way trying to insult you, but are you sure it is installed right? I just cant see how it would be flexing under the pressure of a flashlight when it has held up to MANY rounds through my 12.

Edited by Tx1021

No insult taken, where is your foregrip attached? Is it right over a bolt? I have my flashlight attached to the very end of the rail, and sure enough if i push on the flashlight, the end of the rail will bend off the gun, everything is as tight as its going to get too. YMMV but thats what im looking at right in front of my face. The rail is on tight, but the way they designed the rail the bolts are too far from the end of the rails to be using plastic.

perhaps the plastic varies by batch, I know i have a tapco 30rd mag that has much different plastic than a tapco 20rder i just bought.

Edited by jabara572

Yeah, it is attached almost directly over the bolt. However, there are only two slots past the bolts on the bottom for mine. With two and 1 1/2 on the sides, depending on which end of the rail. Is this the way yours is set up to?

And is it solid if moved back a slot or two?

Yeah, it is attached almost directly over the bolt. However, there are only two slots past the bolts on the bottom for mine. With two and 1 1/2 on the sides, depending on which end of the rail. Is this the way yours is set up to?

And is it solid if moved back a slot or two?

It is pretty solid when i move it back 2 slots over the bolt, but mount anything outside of the bolts and it can flex away from the gun with light finger pressure

I can definitely see how that is possible. Guess if you're planning on mounting at the very end of the rail this handguard should be avoided.

That said, i have had nothing but good experiences with my VFG attached directly over the bolt.

• 1 month later...

I bought the same hand guard for my Saiga. I thought mine was really flimsy compared to the stock unit. It takes a bit of assembly and the nuts and bolts for the assembly are really cheap and strip out rather easily. Personally, I thought it was a waste of money and I put the stock unit back on.

• 8 months later...

"Another thing is the bottom rail flexes A LOT!!! They shouldve used metal rails, with my flashlight mounted to the rail any pressure on the light will cause the rail to deflect and lift off the handguard, not good at all. I cant even imagine trying to use a forward grip with a flexy rail like that, what were they thinking????????"

What if you glued the rails on in addition to the screws..would that stop the flex perhaps?I,m thinking about doing that with mine..maybe some 2 part heavy duty epoxy would work.

• 3 months later...

One thing that helps is that the S12 models attach with a screw under the gas block, whereas the rifle models use one screw at the back and a plastic block up front that fits the two "ears" on the gas block. That cheap plastic piece up front is where you get all the play.

So i imagine this works a lot better on the S12's than it does on the rifle models.

• 3 months later...

Do the saiga 12's need the adapter in the front?

If you mean the small piece of crappy plastic that attaches the hand guard to the rifle. -edited- (if im on the same level as you) This is a pretty old thread. If you have questions I would suggest just starting a thread and asking, you will likely get tons of help.

Also, I wouldnt suggest this Hand guard for a saiga 12. pretty cheap. You can spend an extra few bucks and get much better. Beast melting a piece of shit to your rifle.

Edited by Chevyman097

If you mean the small piece of crappy plastic that attaches the hand guard to the rifle. Yes. (if im on the same level as you) This is a pretty old thread. If you have questions I would suggest just starting a thread and asking, you will likely get tons of help.

Also, I wouldnt suggest this Hand guard for a saiga 12. pretty cheap. You can spend an extra few bucks and get much better. Beast melting a piece of shit to your rifle.

Nope. The S12 does not use the mounting block like the rifles, on the front or the back.

I've had good luck with mine. I have it on all 3 of my Saigas (132,240,109). Havent got to run the 240 yet.

Its an easy compliant part, looks good on the rifles but looks better on the 12's IMO because it doesnt have that front mounting block to throw the lines off.

I like it for the parts count and looks. I dont use the supplied rails (nor do i have them installed) on any of them.

Edited by Mullet Man

If you mean the small piece of crappy plastic that attaches the hand guard to the rifle. Yes. (if im on the same level as you) This is a pretty old thread. If you have questions I would suggest just starting a thread and asking, you will likely get tons of help.

Nope. The S12 does not use the mounting block like the rifles, on the front or the back.

I've had good luck with mine. I have it on all 3 of my Saigas (132,240,109). Havent got to run the 240 yet.

Its an easy compliant part, looks good on the rifles but looks better on the 12's IMO because it doesnt have that front mounting block to throw the lines off.

I like it for the parts count and looks. I dont use the supplied rails (nor do i have them installed) on any of them.

Ya after I read the post again I figured I was thinking of the roung HG, this is the x39 section and I was assuming that is what he was tlaking about at first. My mistake. But meh. It was late, i was too lazy to edit.

Mine is on there tight, and I didn't Loctite it....yet. I added a LaRue side sling mount and it's plenty solid. I'll add a flashlight clamp as well. One bummer was when I used PB Blaster to aid in removal of the FSB, it melted part of the forend and one of the rails. Made it look sandblasted. Strange.....eventually I'll replace it with an aluminum forend just to bump up the bling factor, but this is a functional handguard to be certain.