Magazine Catch Lever Issue

I recently acquired a Saiga 7.62x39 in like-new condition, for 125 bucks. It was at a gun show, and I made a very thorough evaluation of the rifle before I purchased it. Unfortunately, examining the mag-catch lever was not something on my list of things to examine. Doh.

The lever has been filed down, but no bullet guide has been installed. This leaves me with a rifle that will allow standard magazines to fit (but not load the rounds), and Saiga magazines to loosely fit (causing jams left and right).

I think I have a couple of options here: 1. I can install a bullet guide and my rifle can accept standard AK mags, 2. I can either repair or replace the mag catch lever, and use the Surefire magazines.

I would prefer to use the Surefire magazines, because it's 3 compliance parts, and I love the wiggle room for any future mods I might want to make. Not to mention I try to reduce weight anywhere I possibly can.

Is there anywhere online that I can buy a magazine catch lever for an unmodified Saiga 7.62x39? I've been looking for a couple of hours now, to no avail. If not, I can always repair the lever I do have, but it would take more time than I really want to spend on it.

Any comments on or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you :]

*EDIT* Other than this issue, the rifle works perfectly. For the longest time I thought that it was just my Surefire magazine causing these problems, but upon further inspection, it's VERY obvious that the mag-catch lever has been filed down a bit.

Edited by essemgy
Find a good welder and add some material to the mag catch then file to catch the Surefire mags ....

I work at a Boat dealership, which has a very well equipped machine shop, and a welder with 40 years of experience. He's offered to do it for me at no charge (after hours), and claims that this would be a very quick and easy fix to make. I was just making sure there wasn't a vendor that I could purchase a new mag-catch-lever from, before I ask someone for a favor. It's starting to look like repairing the lever is my best bet.

I don't know what the man I bought this rifle from was thinking. Why would someone file the lever down, and not add a bullet guide? Maybe he just didn't know any better? Who knows. I suppose at 125 bucks, something was bound to be wrong with it, I should consider myself fortunate that it wasn't something serious/expensive.

Either way, thank you VERY much for your input :]

Hmmm. $30 and 20 minutes will give you a bullet guide and the ability to use: Com Block Military Surplus metal, Chinese, and Korean (indestructible and can replace follower and base plate for about $5 from KVar for 2 US compliance parts). ALso allows Bulgarian circle 10 Polymers, Russian Bakelite, Tapco, Thermold, Promag, and other standard AK mags.. If you go back to stock, you are limited to Surefire (which cost more than Bulgarians!), since Promag Saiga mags suck.

I don't know what the man I bought this rifle from was thinking. Why would someone file the lever down, and not add a bullet guide? Maybe he just didn't know any better? Who knows. I suppose at 125 bucks, something was bound to be wrong with it, I should consider myself fortunate that it wasn't something serious/expensive.

Whoever probably was going to convert it, then realized that they didn't have the skill to actually install the bullet guide... not that it takes an extreme amount of skill, but that's my best guess.

You got a good deal, especially since you have an in-house welder who will fix it for free!!

Hmmm. $30 and 20 minutes will give you a bullet guide and the ability to use: Com Block Military Surplus metal, Chinese, and Korean (indestructible and can replace follower and base plate for about $5 from KVar for 2 US compliance parts). ALso allows Bulgarian circle 10 Polymers, Russian Bakelite, Tapco, Thermold, Promag, and other standard AK mags.. If you go back to stock, you are limited to Surefire (which cost more than Bulgarians!), since Promag Saiga mags suck.

Which bullet guide would you recommend? Through Google, I found "Dinzag", who makes them, but I couldn't find any feedback on the quality of this piece. I was a little weary of purchasing this piece, and making changes to my weapon without really knowing whether or not the part was a quality piece. The 922r compliance parts of the magazine really aren't an issue either way, my current parts count allows me to use any magazine I wish.

I've replaced the stock, handguard, gas piston, trigger group, and added a pistol grip and muzzle break. All of these parts are made in America, so I think I should be able to use foreign magazines.

Which bullet guide would you recommend? Through Google, I found "Dinzag", who makes them, but I couldn't find any feedback on the quality of this piece. I was a little weary of purchasing this piece, and making changes to my weapon without really knowing whether or not the part was a quality piece. The 922r compliance parts of the magazine really aren't an issue either way, my current parts count allows me to use any magazine I wish.

I've replaced the stock, handguard, gas piston, trigger group, and added a pistol grip and muzzle break. All of these parts are made in America, so I think I should be able to use foreign magazines.

DInzag Bullet guide is AAAAAA++++++. Put one in a 223 and one in a 7.62x39. Feeding 100% with all magazines. Takes about 15 minutes to install. In the 223 ita used Galil mags, and in the 7.62x39 , it uses ANY magazine! The $30 kit comes with the guide, the correct size drill, the tap, the screw, and if I remember right, the allen wrench.

Edited by imarangemaster
DInzag Bullet guide is AAAAAA++++++. Put one in a 223 and one in a 7.62x39. Feeding 100% with all magazines. Takes about 15 minutes to install. In the 223 ita used Galil mags, and in the 7.62x39 , it uses ANY magazine! The $30 kit comes with the guide, the correct size drill, the tap, the screw, and if I remember right, the allen wrench.

I went ahead and decided to go with adding the bullet guide (now that I have a couple of people confirming that it's a part of quality [and exceptional quality at that]). Thank you very much for the input, it definitely swayed my decision. The shipping time says 4-6 weeks, and I'm sure I'll install it the day it comes in the mail, so I'll make a post confirming as to whether or not this solved my problem (which I'm more than sure it will). Thanks again, Imarangemaster!

Your welcome. Brian at Dinzag is a great guy. Shipping on the bullet guide kits is usually much faster. He ususally does his packaging on week ends, if I remember right. You will be very happy! Welcome to the Siaga addiction!

Your welcome. Brian at Dinzag is a great guy. Shipping on the bullet guide kits is usually much faster. He ususally does his packaging on week ends, if I remember right. You will be very happy! Welcome to the Siaga addiction!

It says on his website that it's because of the large amount of orders (which is a good sign, because it just means his parts are popular!), but I don't really care all that much. 4-6 weeks is well worth the wait, when it comes to a quality-made part. I'm very excited :]

I'll vouch for Brian as well. I had a small issue with a couple of his bullet guides and he told me to ship them back to him and he would not only replace the

B.G. but kicked me back the shipping + a few bucks. He overnighted the B.G. to me, and explained why they wouldn't work (not his fault, Izmash changed some dementions on the front trunnion). Brian is a stand up dude and i'll buy his parts with confidence, they'll fit or he'll make it right.

I've been using Dinzags parts for a few years, he's a member here too. The quality of his stuff is great, excellent products at fair prices. I've installed a few of his bullet guides and they all fit beautifully, especially some of the newer stuff I've ordered from him.

Order the whole kit with the drill and tap and you won't be disappointed.