I have a little extra time on my hands since the Phone/Cable Company said that they will arrive between the hours of 8am & 5pm. I pulled the camera to snap a few pix. We all compare/argue the 9mm and the .45 ACP stopping power, and it will be a debate till the end of time. So lets take a look at.....

LEFT to RIGHT

9mm

45 ACP

454 Casull

The Ruger Alaskan, a 2 1/2-inch version of the Super Redhawk chambered for the powerful .454 Casull cartridge with a 6 round cylinder. You can also run 45 Colt Ammo through it.

Now...if I could get someone (hint,hint Tom :angel: ) to convert a Saiga 410 to 454 Casull then I would have my Rifle/Handgun Combo.

Edited by Norty

I don't think there is much debate about stopping power with 9mm vs .45, I think most of the debate lies with how much stopping power you need in different scenarios plus the fact that stopping power is not all there is to the equation. If it were, all you would need are one of these .50 BMG revolvers. :D

50rev2-1.jpg

Edited by DogMan

Love the alaskan...I use to have the .480 version but traded it in for a .454 casull just because i wanted more stopping power...My own currently has the crimson trace laser grips on it..works really well..I see that you are using a Barnes X bullet Loaded by Reeds Ammo..or by Federal i am assuming..I also use that same bullet its projected FPS is 2000 from a full length barrel..My preferred dangerous game bullet is 400grain DoubleTap Bear Tooth Hardcast Load 1400fps,I have enclosed a photo of it...Here is a Youtube video of mine when i had it in .480 Ruger using the Crimson Tracer Laser Grips.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy8h-1fOStE

post-16872-1245785073_thumb.jpg

post-16872-1245785088_thumb.jpg

post-16872-1245785103_thumb.jpg

post-16872-1245785117_thumb.jpg

Edited by voonman

When I picked up my EAA AK from my FFL last Friday he showed me the S&W 500 (50 cal) a customer had ordered.

Now that's a handgun. Had very nice sorbothane (spl) grips, too. We both wanted to take it out "plinking". :rolleyes:post-18159-1245786612_thumb.jpg

Edited by VincentYGB
I have a little extra time on my hands since the Phone/Cable Company said that they will arrive between the hours of 8am & 5pm. I pulled the camera to snap a few pix. We all compare/argue the 9mm and the .45 ACP stopping power, and it will be a debate till the end of time. So lets take a look at.....

LEFT to RIGHT

9mm

45 ACP

454 Casull

The Ruger Alaskan, a 2 1/2-inch version of the Super Redhawk chambered for the powerful .454 Casull cartridge with a 6 round cylinder. You can also run 45 Colt Ammo through it.

Now...if I could get someone (hint,hint Tom :angel: ) to convert a Saiga 410 to 454 Casull then I would have my Rifle/Handgun Combo.

That's an awesome "little" handgun there Norty! A buddy of mine brought his over one day and we went out back to let me try it out....wow...

He loaded it up with 45 ACP and we both traded it off a couple times. Then he loaded it back up for me and put one 454 cartridge in it and spun it...lol.

Needless to say it was a huge difference when that big boy came around! Damn thing just about jumped out of my hands!

What's fun as hell is to take the Raging Bull 454 out at night and shoot it. The flames from the barrel ports and out the end will light up the back yard, not to mention shut up the drunks down the road. :):):) But 5 shots is all I can stand, then it's an ice bag on the wrist for a while.

And after you burn through your 6 rounds of 454 flinching through most of them, my 10mm will still have another 10 rounds left to deal out... :smoke:

Absolutely! The 10mm is the champ of combat loads, followed by the .45 ACP!

The .454 is intended for hunting, silhouette and having the biggest pistol among your friends. It is not a combat gun.

Still I have no argument about its one shot stopping power! :D

And after you burn through your 6 rounds of 454 flinching through most of them, my 10mm will still have another 10 rounds left to deal out... :smoke:

Absolutely! The 10mm is the champ of combat loads, followed by the .45 ACP!

The .454 is intended for hunting, silhouette and having the biggest pistol among your friends. It is not a combat gun.

Still I have no argument about its one shot stopping power! :D

What about the .460 rowland? it moves a bit faster than a 10mm (in underpowered factory loads) and will fill out any single or doublestack 1911 mag with style.

I know of at least two people who carry it the winter up north as a defensive (im reluctant to say combat) pistol. Its no 460 s&w magnum, but its hardly a slouch in the one shot KO department.

heres the factory option Wilson Combat offers, or of course you can have any (quality) 1911 converted to it.

1.jpg

What about the .460 rowland? it moves a bit faster than a 10mm (in underpowered factory loads) and will fill out any single or doublestack 1911 mag with style.

I know of at least two people who carry it the winter up north as a defensive (im reluctant to say combat) pistol. Its no 460 s&w magnum, but its hardly a slouch in the one shot KO department.

heres the factory option Wilson Combat offers, or of course you can have any (quality) 1911 converted to it.

1.jpg

Well I have no problem saying "Combat Pistol" as mine has saved my life that way.

The .460 Rowland is an impressive load, but then again it is just a wildcat.

The FBI spent a HUGE amount of money evaluating and deploying the 10mm, without taking into account that some of its wimpier agents could not handle it. So births the .40 S&W.

1.jpg

Well I have no problem saying "Combat Pistol" as mine has saved my life that way.

The .460 Rowland is an impressive load, but then again it is just a wildcat.

The FBI spent a HUGE amount of money evaluating and deploying the 10mm, without taking into account that some of its wimpier agents could not handle it. So births the .40 S&W.

And instead of inventing the .40..all they had to do was use water down 10mm loads

And instead of inventing the .40..all they had to do was use water down 10mm loads

True, but at least they had enough money to buy SAAMI approval, or it would be considered "just a wildcat." Im still leaning towards the .460 rowland, wildcat or no, theres off the shelf ammo for it, and an off the shelf gun, i think its gaining a fair amount of legitimacy, though im very doubtfull it is designed with the wimpier in mind, at all. If i recall, the recoil spring on that wilson runs upwards of 18lbs, so ill have to shoot one and see if i can still feel my hands after.

Not to derail the thread, though, that looks like a very nice revolver, and id love to get my hands on one of the large frame S&Ws, if i can ever find a decent price on one.

45 ACP and 9mm have the same kinetic energy. 9mm gets it on account of KE = 1/2 * m * V^2, ie its velocity compensates for lack of mass in situations where KE matters. 45 ACP has it beat on momentum.

Interesting factoid is that some 9mm hollowpoints mushroom out to 45 diameter. What that generally means is that for shallow, soft targets (ie center of mass, not necessarily bone or dense muscle), a 9mm hollowpoint would approximate the performance of a 45 FMJ.

Against hard/brittle objects, or thick, or dense objects, it gets more complicated.

In the real world, a pistol you're comfortable with and that works well makes more of a difference. I happen to be very comfortable with a full size 45 in 1911, and a mid-size Steyr M40. I'm not as comfortable with any particular 9mm.

Call me a puss, but I absolutely hate shooting my Glock 23. :cryss:

Give me a Ruger Redhawk with 7.5" inch barrel stoked with Federal Premium 240 grain FMJHP's, and the enjoyment is about the same (without the torn-up hand web afterwards). :031:

The logical side of me wonders about the proliferation of monster handgun rounds, what the hell is the point? Massive recoil, limited accuracy (in the short barreled models), expensive ammo, etc.

My fun side says "hell yea!"

But in the end, if I go big it will be a 10mm. It would work as a sidearm even in bear country.

• 1 month later...