what is the best ammo

i just bought the saiga-12g iz109. i looked though all the posts but didnt find the answer i was looking for. i havent shot the gun yet. so my question is what is the best ammo to use in this gun. i found at sportsman guide 200rds 2 3/4"12g 7 1/2 shot silver bear at $69.97 and 250rds.12g 2 3/4 wolf 00 buckshot 9 pellets for $189.97. which is better and is there any other types of ammo that you all rec. thanks for help.

Edited by damyankee
i just bought the saiga-12g iz109. i looked though all the posts but didnt find the answer i was looking for. i havent shot the gun yet. so my question is what is the best ammo to use in this gun. i found at sportsman guide 200rds 2 3/4"12g 7 1/2 shot silver bear at $69.97 and 250rds.12g 2 3/4 wolf 00 buckshot 9 pellets for $189.97. which is better and is there any other types of ammo that you all rec. thanks for help.

Most saigas will not cycle winchester universal, but some will. I find that federal works best in all loads. Winshester slugs also works well as with winchester AA.

Most saigas will not cycle winchester universal, but some will. I find that federal works best in all loads. Winshester slugs also works well as with winchester AA.

i will look into that. i bought my gun at the local gun show over week end and one of the vendors told me to use the silver bear as a starter round due to the first round from he said gets crushed. is this a good way to go also even when stored loaded.

For the first 100+ rounds, you want to shoot heavy loads to break in your gun and loosen up the internal parts... buckshot or slugs.

Cabelas has 250rd Estate 2.75" buckshot for $170 with a free waterproof shell box... your choice of 4 buck or 00 buck. That's a tough price to beat, esp with the ammo box. Great range ammo. For HD use and high reliability, I'd say the 2.75" reduced recoil buckshot (might be called "managed recoil" or "tactical" buckshot) from a good US ammo maker. Remington managed recoil 00 buck is fairly cheap, highly accurate and reliable.

After break in is done, if you can shoot bird/target shot at your range (and you want to), maybe try Winchester AA Heavy Target 2.75"... should cycle better than most small shot.

Edited by slyguy

If u use slugs i recommend sabot style. Regular slugs gum up the ports with lead. I also give a +1 for estate buckshot. I just bought some cheap estate ammo from gander mountain or like 33$ for a case of 100.

Broke mine in some last week using mostly Speer 2 3/4" Lawman HP slugs and Remington 3" magnum Sluggers. I used them cause they were cheap {bought the Sluggers at Kmart on clearance for $2 a box}. Even shot some cheap remington Wal-Mart value pack birdshot afterwards. Had some turkey loads and 00 buck but will give them a try next time. My shoulder had enough after 40-50 rounds of slugs and about 20 of my 45-70 405 grain handloads I shot with my Marlin 1895G.

+1 on Federal Multi-purpose load, It's the only cheap(er) bulk ammo my S12 will eat and spit out. Winchester sux.

I finally got to shoot mine for the first time today, OMG. It's a 19" but I was out shooting my buddies Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel at skeet...I was shooting Remington Express long range at the target range, and the walmart federal bulk pack multi-purpose once we got to the skeet range. The Federal cycled pretty good on number 1 setting on the gas plug. I had 2 stove pipes and I think 1 FTE, that's it out of 100. MY shoulder is nice and bruised. We went through about 100 shells with my Saiga. I shot some sabot slugs, as well. I don't have a choke on mine but, I would imagine if you did try and put a slug through an incorrect choke it wouldn't be good.