S-308 mod to take G3 mags???

i was reading somewhere that some one on here... i think it was "BattleRifleG3" that said he was able to convert his S-308 to use G3 mags.... does anyone know anything about this? b/c i would love to convert my S-308 when i get it to use them.

• 4 months later...

You're best off to buy a G3, or buy US made mags for your S-308. It's an expert's conversion and has many drawbacks. If you have lots of time on your hands and cheap Saigas, or a mag ban in your area, it may be worth it. At current prices, and if you have the income to save for a G3 or US mags, it's probably not.

Now if you want to do something creative, that's another story, go for it, but be safe - don't mod the trunion. Better to junk the gun than to junk your face.

I looked into it at a point.. It was a half and half mod, that would involve some off the rifle some off the mags and welding parts on the mags.... In the end it was less work and more relible to make new mags for the rifle which is what I do. Other options are the surefires or older FBMG mags.

I think the G3 mod is best done by selling your saiga and buying a G3.

I couldnt make may S308 to take the aluminum G3 magazines.

But I made it accept the M14 magazines :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've modded one five round M14 mag too, making it fit and lock to the magwell was rather easy. No mods needed to the gun. I was having occasional fail to feed with it first, but then I removed that metal thingy (that looks kinda like a buffer) from bolt return spring and put a thin rubber buffer that sits on the rear trunnion so that the bolt still can't jump out of the cuts of the slide guide rails but the bolt/slide moves farther back. I'd try with a 20 round M14 mag but them are quite hard to find here and since US government is so paranoid (you never know about those Europeans) can't get them out of the US no more. At least not without a major PITA paperwork and money.

• 1 month later...

M14 mags are a better fit. FAL mags are NOT a good fit.

I chose G3 mags because they were cheap and with my system the mags could still work in a G3 after the mods. That was key to complying with the expired AW ban.

The expiration of the AW ban and the rise in Saiga prices (remember when they were all under $300?) ended the practicality of my conversion. It makes less sense to mod a $500 gun when you can now get $40 mags to fit a stock gun.

M14 mags are a better fit. FAL mags are NOT a good fit.

I chose G3 mags because they were cheap and with my system the mags could still work in a G3 after the mods. That was key to complying with the expired AW ban.

The expiration of the AW ban and the rise in Saiga prices (remember when they were all under $300?) ended the practicality of my conversion. It makes less sense to mod a $500 gun when you can now get $40 mags to fit a stock gun.

I see it this way:

Living in NY I cant have anything over 10 round capacity for my Saiga 308. If M14 conversion wasnt considered as "new manufacturing" I would be building them like pancakes. Converting 10 round M14 mags takes out all the incentives. The mag itself will go for $15-20, add tools, materials and time and you lose all the interest.

Nevertheless, $40 for a magazine is still a lot.

• 3 weeks later...