I'm looking for a good 308 bolt action rifle. (currently, I'm leaning towards a Savage 11 or a Remington 700)

Ultimately, I'd like to take it hunting and some longer range paper punching - I'll plan to use the "good stuff" as far as ammo especially for the hunting part. I would however like the option to use cheap ammo (Brown bear or Monarch - it will share with the Saiga) when I just want to break stuff at 100 yards.

Does anyone have a Remington 700 or Savage 10 or 11 that shoots cheap Russian ammo (well, cheap in comparison)? Are there any "commercial" bolt actions that eat up this type of ammo much better than others?

What kind of groups can I expect? What's the range of those rifles? etc.

Thanks!

-as a note, I get about 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with Brown bear/Monarch stuff. It seems about worst when I use the $1/round ammo (Federal blue box or Remington CoreLoct). For this, I'm wondering if Russian guns like Russian ammo and US guns like US ammo?!?

You will not be disappointed in a Savage.

I have a Savage 111FCNS (long action 11, Box Mag, Blued, No Irons) in .270 Win.

i can call my cold bore shots @ 200 yards every time. It's a weird feeling knowing EXACTLY where the bullet is going to hit each time you pull that trigger.

The Savage and Remington are both great guns, also look at the Brownings; a buddy of mine picked up an old Browning A-Bolt for around a grand, it has a custom scope mount and single set trigger. There are also a lot of Mausers in 7.62NATO caliber, which can be had starting around $200, search gunbroker for 308 mauser or 7.62 mauser. In the end, you've got a lot of rifles to choose from, I'm actually talking to another friend about getting a 308 (though I'm sure you have more shooting experience than him); the good thing is that you already know the good brands, so just set your budget, and keep your eye out for a really good rifle.

Per using corrosive ammo, just keep your bore clean and you'll be fine.

Surplus Rifle - The Clean-Up After

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/corrosive/index.asp

so... a remington core loct round and a brown bear round is essentially the same... just differences in quality/consistency/clean-dirty powders, etc.?

I mean, the bullet shape/sizes are essentially the same and I should still get 'decent' groups shooting russian ammo ammo from a commercial rifle?

With decent, I mean - i dunno - 3-4 inch groups at 100?

so... a remington core loct round and a brown bear round is essentially the same... just differences in quality/consistency/clean-dirty powders, etc.?

I mean, the bullet shape/sizes are essentially the same and I should still get 'decent' groups shooting russian ammo ammo from a commercial rifle?

With decent, I mean - i dunno - 3-4 inch groups at 100?

By 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards I sure hope you're referring to a rifle with iron sites. If not (e.g., if your rifle is scoped).... any modern day .308 caliber bolt action rifle shooting that large of a grouping (pretty much regardless of the ammo you're using).... well, I'd send it back to the manufacturer.

-_-

Edited by Gary

i picked up a remy 700 varmint in 308. for 560$ scoped it and with hornady 168 bthp im 3 shot groups all touching. once in a while i will get fliers that will be 3/4 to 1" out but im sure this is due to either me or lack of bedding on this rifle. all and all for the money i like it a lot. i think aither the remy or savage will do well for you.