Info needed on the Norinco NHM91

Greetings. I'm a recent convert to the AK world, and after getting my S12 coverted to proper AK form I'm looking at buying an AK rifle. I've read quite a bit about the different variants on the US market, read Poyer's book "Kalashnikov Rifles and Their Variants", and done a fair bit of browsing different AK boards.

Recently I ran across a Norinco NHM91 at what I felt is a very good price, but I have been able to glean very little info on this gun. The particular rifle I found has wooden furniture, the stock being the wooden thumbhole variety seen on other export models. No bipod or flashhider is present on this gun, and from the pics I can't tell if the barrel is threaded on its end to accept a flash hider.

All I've been able to find out about this model is it's Chinese, supposedly has a match grade 20" barrel, and the seller claims it will accept all standard AK mags though I've read it prefers Chinese mags and will not accept Russian or German AK mags, which if true leaves me a bit wary.

I would appreciate it if someone with more expertise or first hand info could fill in the blanks on the NHM91 for me...

Edited by Jpanzer

I love mine... shoots great, has nice trigger.

Will accept any mag, but you may have to grind a rivet in the mag catch (if it hasn't been done yet). I've put many rounds through mine, converted it to AK furniture (for 922r), only wish it had a side rail.. but wouldn't mod it to have one.

Go here to see what I'm talking about with the rivet: http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/page_2.htm Page down till you see the NHM-91

Bipod sucks.. don't shoot with it down, unless you don't like accuracy..LOL. But cool to see it propped on it.

100_0273-1.jpg

don't see that many around.

Edited by Madcat455

Norinco NHM's haven't been imported since the early 90's but they're decent. I've got an NHM-90, the 16" barrel version of your NHM-91.

The NHM 90 was the weird cousin of the MAK 90. They have threaded barrels, but to meet the Bush ban all NHM's sold in the US had caps welded over the threads, had their bayonet lugs cut off, and wore wooden butthole stocks. I don't know what quantity they were imported in, but you tend to see mostly either long barrel NHM 91's or NHM 90's with angle cut receivers. So a straight cut NHM 90 w/ 16" barrel is less common, at least to my limited experiences.

2992946277_c93ab29515_b.jpg

2993791614_487b3b8a73_b.jpg

2993793318_42816fd5b7_b.jpg

I found this one at a local shop in good physical shape, but questionable 922r shape. It now has Red Star internals and an A2 hider (all US-made, of course). Furiture is new old stock Polytech. The receiver is stamped from thick 1.6 mm steel and still has the original Chinese bluing. Bolt and carrier have a unique plum colored blue. Barrel is chrome lined with lots of life. The original bayonet lug is still neutered, but I kinda like the lean and light style. In the pictures above it's got a 30 round Chinese flat back magazine (with US follower). European spine-backed mags and plastic US ones all run flawlessly as well. No wobble.

Edited by aresv

I own an NHM-91, it's a nice weapon. Long barrel with the factory bipod, straight back stamped receiver. i haven't found any problems with it taking mags or drums of any origin. What it does lack is a side rail scope mount. I cant bring my self to rivet one on. For long barrels I enjoy shooting my Maddi RPM, weight is the same, just as accurate, alittle uglier than the NHM-91, but it shoots just that bit nicer.

So overall consensus is, this is a good medium range weapon? I can pick one up for $570. Good deal?

It's a decent AK in a configuration that's not too common these days. What do you want it for?

So overall consensus is, this is a good medium range weapon? I can pick one up for $570. Good deal?

It's a decent AK in a configuration that's not too common these days. What do you want it for?

I'm looking to buy, not sell. I have found a seller who has one for $570, in excellent shape-minus the bipod. Was wondering if that was a decent price, as I'm new to the AK market...

You know it probably is a good price. Today's market, in excellent shape, what about mags? I'd try to knock it down for lack of the factory bipod. JMO. I just remember when they were $300 NIB and no one wanted them because of the thumbhole stocks. I also remember when you could buy 30 Rd Chinese mags new in the plastic for $4 each/ 3 for $10, 75 Rd drums for $35 and 1000 Rds Golden Tiger 7.62x39 for $68 shipped.

Seeing as they're going to $700 on Gunbroker(inflated prices I know).. I'd pick it up. Can't seem to get an AK in any condition for under $500 anymore. :( Cept an unconverted Saiga.. then do the work yourself.

Pick it up.. shoot the hell out of it. It'll love you forever.

100_0290.jpg