My Conversion Experience (With Pics)

This was my very first conversion. Actually, it was my very first gun mod that involved breaking down a gun. So here we go...

Parts involved:

DPH-ALUM-TRI FOREARM-SAIGA 12, 20 ALUMINUM TRI RAIL

AG47 GRIP AK/SAIGA CAA AG47

MD-GP GUNFIXERS IMPROVED GAS PLUG SAIGA 12 ADJUSTMENT KNOB

JT-MAINSP JTE Performance Power Mainspring for All Saiga and AK variants

INT-BLK RECEIVER BLOCK- SAIGA INTERNAL STOCK ADAPTER

DPH-S12PHANTOM SAIGA 12 PHANTOM FLASH HIDER DOOR BREACH

TRX-SGP44B STOCK-TROMIX SAIGA

6PLUGS TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS

TRXSGP35 TRIGGER GROUP-TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUP

SGP59DIY TRIGGER GUARD-SAIGA 12 TROMIX D-I-Y

FFG2 VERTICAL GRIP - FOLDING

mod1.jpg

Everything laid out. As you can see the gun as been broken down already. If you can't figure that out send your gun to a gunsmith and don't go any further. LOL

mod2.jpg

The tools you need. Rubber mallet to remove stock, Dremel with cutting and polishing wheels, drill with 3/16" bit, flat head screw driver, Saiga tap tool, laptop w/ Saiga Forums running and plenty of smokes.

mod3.JPG

Here you can see the original FCG has been removed

mod4.jpg

The 4 holes you see are on the right hand side of the gun. The 2 towards the stock were rivets attached to the original trigger/lever pins. The rivets have to be drilled out with a 3/16" bit to remove the pins. You can then remove and discard those pins as you won't be needing them. The other two holes under the safety are where the pins for the original hammer and BHO were installed. Those pins get tapped out with the tap tool and saved for reuse.

mod5.jpg

Here you can see the original trigger gurad has been removed. You must remove the rivets from the 3 hole on the base of the gun (shown in this pic) that hold on the trigger guard. Cut off the tops of the rivets with your dremel and then drill out the remaining part with a 3/16" bit.

mod6.jpg

Here you can seen the tang removed. Notice that when I cut it off, I left a little extra so that I could grind it flush with the sides.

mod7.jpg

New receiver block installed.

mod8.jpg

Preped. for paint. May I suggest a flat black.

mod9.jpg

The glossy paint that I had lying around didn't quite match.

mod10.jpg

Here you can see the new FCG installed. That was a bit tricky. I suggest you use the dental floss method that can be found on YouTube to install the BHO spring. You should also know that the retaining clip that comes with the Tromix Modified Trigger Group is a bit of a pain in the ass to install. Especially since it comes with no instructions and I've never done this before. See clip below.

trxsc.jpg

Install Instructions: The small end slides under your trigger pin. You must keep the clip pressed up againts the left side of the gun, because you want the clip to lock into the grooves that run around each pin. As you push the clip forward you'll need to press down on the longer side of the clip so that it will go under the hammer pin. Once the clip is completely forward, the circular part of the clip will have clipped around the trigger pin and the longer side of the clip will be latched under the hammer pin.

mod11.jpg

Here you can see new the trigger guard in place and the old rivet holes plugged. You should know the the receiver block that I purchased did not have any holes drilled in it to allow the plastic inserts to be installed. So I had to install the block and drill 3/16" holes in the block using the original pin holes as a guide.

Saiga12-1.jpg

Saiga12-2.jpg

Finished product. The whole job from start to finish took approx 5 hrs. That's with a learning curve, a few breaks and paint delay.

Edited by Bridis

Thank you.

I really wanted a top rail, but I'm not so sure I want to remove the factory sights.

I also hope that I'll have better luck with the Federal Target ammo after this conversion, based on the lighter hammer spring.

Nice kitchen table project! I like the pic showing all the parts on the table with the laptop on the side showing the saiga-12 forum up and ready for reference as you do the build. That should be an example for all newbies to set-up before starting a build for the first time.

Nice kitchen table project! I like the pic showing all the parts on the table with the laptop on the side showing the saiga-12 forum up and ready for reference as you do the build. That should be an example for all newbies to set-up before starting a build for the first time.

What is your total spend with gun, stock, mags and all?

I spent approx. $530.00 on the gun, approx. $530.00 on the parts, I think $230.00 for the drum and $200.00+ on the combo laser/tack light. So add that all up and you're looking at somewhere around $1,500.00 minus shipping and labor.

Why, you want to buy it? :D

Very nice job, how do you like the folding vertical grip? I've read mixed opinions, some people like them, some say they have a little wobble. Your opinion please.

I llike them. I've got this one and a different one on my L1A1. I haven't noticed any wobble. They're both pretty solid.

I finished my first (2) conversions a couple weeks ago. My converted S12 is basically identical to this one:

saiga12tac2.jpg

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct423.aspx

Selling there for $1149.

Based on some quick calculations for my gun:

$525 - S12

$65 - Ace stock

$45 - MSA internal block

$65 - Ace (or was it Tromix?) folding mechanism

$15 - Tapco SAW grip

$25 - Tapco G2 FCG

$45 - Tromix bolt-in hand guard

$30 - GunFixr's gas adjuster (not on gun listed above)

Total: $815 for my gun as built, $785 for gun as built above. Prices do not reflect FFL fees, or shiping on parts.

First conversion took me about 3.5 hours. I then immediately converted one of my 7.62s as well (except for bullet guide installation, which isn't required on the S12 conversion anyway). Same processes on 7.62 took about 1.5 hours, due to being familiar with the steps involved.

I finished my first (2) conversions a couple weeks ago. My converted S12 is basically identical to this one:

saiga12tac2.jpg

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct423.aspx

Selling there for $1149.

Based on some quick calculations for my gun:

$525 - S12

$65 - Ace stock

$45 - MSA internal block

$65 - Ace (or was it Tromix?) folding mechanism

$15 - Tapco SAW grip

$25 - Tapco G2 FCG

$45 - Tromix bolt-in hand guard

$30 - GunFixr's gas adjuster (not on gun listed above)

Total: $815 for my gun as built, $785 for gun as built above. Prices do not reflect FFL fees, or shiping on parts.

First conversion took me about 3.5 hours. I then immediately converted one of my 7.62s as well (except for bullet guide installation, which isn't required on the S12 conversion anyway). Same processes on 7.62 took about 1.5 hours, due to being familiar with the steps involved.

NJ...

Man, I just completed my first conversion..... OMG that was EASY, I know that it looked a little daunting, but WOW... I could have gotten it done in 2-3 hours MAX if I had've sat down and done it all at once.

Now mine was a simple, basic conversion, Tromix DIY TG, Tromix FCG, CAA PG (with the interchangable inserts), Tapco Folder, Chaos Puck, and Gunfixr plug. I still plan to file the inside of the PG a little more so that it fits nice and super-flush to the reciever, but even now with a small gap it is ROCK SOLID and shoots the REALLY LOWbrass Federal Walmart bulk-pack on the 1+ setting. OMG I'm just so fuckin stoked right now.... YEA!!! Knob Creek Matches here I come... LOL

I completly, whole-heartedly agree.... it is a great feeling everytime I look at it and see that I DID THAT.....

and its not even dinished yet, I'm still workin on getting the gaps JUST right before I paint it up with all the duracoat that's sitting in the box next to it on the futon in my office.....

it did remind me of 1 thing though, I put a limbsaver slip-on on the sporter stock SHORTLY after buying the gun a few years ago.... well, I now remember why, WOW does that Tapco folder sting when it wallops ya.... gonna have to shoot more so that my shoulder toughens up for the recoil before the Knob Creek Match

• 4 weeks later...

Well I must say I had a great day at the range today. It was the first time out after I completed the mod.

I guess the reduced tension front recoil spring, reduced tension hammer spring, gunfixer gas valve and bolt/bolt carrier/hammers polish was exactly what my Saiga needed.

Federal Target ammo would FTE on setting -1 and +1, FTE every 4 to 5 rnds on setting 2 and cycled perfectly with no FTE on setting 3.

Winchester "Super Speed" would also FTE on -1 and +1. But it cycled perfectly on setting 2.

Which leads me to beileve that I should have some headroom to shoot heavier brass with the -1 and +1 settings.

It's always funny to see how people react to a drum fed shotgun. :lol:

This forum's life blood is people taking the time to explain things in detail and posting pictures of their experiences. I've learned everything I know about the Saiga 12 from this forum. I can only hope that I can be as much help to others as other have been to me.

Thanks again guys.

• 3 months later...