was thinking about getting a sling, i know that there isnt a tremendous amount of variable here, but lets see the different set ups you guys are running. Which mounts, slings, and what not.

If you a regular AK stock and/or regular AK lower HG retainer, get the surplus AK sling on cheaper than dirt and you will be more than happy. If you have studs, get a set of uncle mike's QD swivels and the AK sling.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS633-1.html

was thinking about getting a sling, i know that there isnt a tremendous amount of variable here, but lets see the different set ups you guys are running. Which mounts, slings, and what not.

If you a regular AK stock and/or regular AK lower HG retainer, get the surplus AK sling on cheaper than dirt and you will be more than happy. If you have studs, get a set of uncle mike's QD swivels and the AK sling.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS633-1.html

Fuck "cheaper than dirt". They're assholes. Buy a surplus AK sling somewhere else. Plenty of other sites sell em.

I ordered, and expect delivery soon, of a sling made from ParaCord. At 54" X 1.5" there will be plenty of survival cord if necessary. It will have quick-release snaps on each end, and it will be non-adjustable. Total cost" $33.00 That's hard to beat. I will post some photos when I receive the sling.

For civilian use, nothing beats a standard 2-point sling - and nothing is cheaper than a surplus AK sling. I use the Israeli 2-point carry straps (I like the longer length) with one of these universal wire loops attached to the front (eliminates noise and won't scratch up your hand guards).

post-10946-1246374730.jpg

Single point slings are fantastic for swat/tactical operations and deploying from armored vehicles directly into action. Single point slings are also great for small/light rifles and subguns like MP-5s, M-4s and other SBRs.

But for Civilian use with full-size rifles, you will be fighting with the rifle out of sling, usually from cover or a stable position or from a ready position (just like a hunter would do). While working / walking for extended periods, a 2-point carry strap is much more comfortable than a single point sling. Trust me, an AK with loaded 30 round mags hurts the back and neck after a full day "strapped in" in a single point job.

Of course, there are exceptions and some people love single points and hate 2-point slings. I would master a cheap 2-point sling and all of the carry methods first (American, African, Israeli, cross chest, cross back), and then try other (more expensive) types of slings later and decide for yourself.

I use cotton(canvas) surplus Garand slings on all my rifles. These slings are 1 1/4 inch wide and dont slip from either hasty or loop fore shooting. Biggest thing it to have that sling as tight as possible without causing pull off and affecting accuracy.