Saiga bbl length/gas system & parts ?

Hey Guys:

I have an older Saiga that I traded into the first year they were on the market in the US. I am a police officer so I can do pretty much anything I want to this thing. I have relocated the pistol grip and put a bunch of Galil parts on it, Galil folder, pistol grip, forend and safety/selector (operated with the left thumb). I had to modify the bolt to allow a magazine to be inserted by machining a shallower angle on the bottom where it contacts the first shell. I still have to put PSI ghost ring sights on it, but It,s getting real close to the parkerize and paint stage and appears that it will be a viable weapon system. I was teaching a shotgun class at the academy last week and took it out and ran it a little. It preformed well although it still has only a little stud for a front sight left over from the original sighting system. I was wondering about a couple of things. I assume the gas chamber is pressed to the barrel as I knocked the pin out of it and was unable to get it off. I also assume that the gas chamber has to be removed to get the "gas tube" off the gun, also I am considering titling this weapon and was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience cutting the barrel on these weapons without pressing the gas block off? This shotgun started life with a 24 inch barrel and I have cut it to 18 inches, but upon test firing it found that it would cycle only 2.75 inch high brass with the gas regulator set in the number 2 position. I also want to modify a Galil bolt carrier for this weapon, but I'm not sure it will fit. has anyone tried a standard AK carrier in their Saiga? I realize the gas piston portion of the Galil carrier will have to be cut, but I'm not sure It will fit the rails. I'm hoping you guys can build Saigas just like it after September of 2004.

I'll post photos of this weapon in a couple of months when it's finished,

Richard

Mine is a Saiga 12C so it has a 19" bbl. I can get it to cycle Winchester Super X field loads, which are medium strength, but it chokes on the Winchester Universal loads, which are the lightest they make (I think).

A Saiga 12K, with its shorter barrel, probably won't work without heavy stuff.

I've got a registered Class3 Saiga with a 13 in barrel and a poly choke. The gun runs fine with most field loads but likes the Remington heavy game load. It'll function with the Remington Nitro gold also, but even with the Poly choke, the pattern is way to wide (at least with #7 shot). I'd be interested to see some of your Galil parts modifications as I'd be interested in trying that with mine. Also, if you have any pics of the modification to the bolt that allows you to load a full mag with the bolt closed, I'd be interested in seeing them. BTW, I'm a LEO from Florida.

Gunman:

Was your Saiga barrel cut down from a longer barrel, what was the original length?

were the gas ports enlarged? I'll post photos of my Saiga when its completed. The bolt modification is fairly simple. The bolt is a two piece affair. Look at the angle on the piece closest to the chamber (the bolt head) and look at the angle on the piece farthest away from the chamber (the locking bolt). The angle on the locking bolt is designed to perfectly contact the mouth of a shotgun shell when attempting to insert a magazine and to stop it. I copied the bolt head angle on the locking bolt making a shallow smooth angle on the entire bolt assembly which allows a loaded magazine to be inserted almost as easily as placing the magazine in a standard AK. I also lightly beveled the magazine opening (mag well) especially at the back on either side of the mag catch. The bolt is hard and you must use a carbide end mill in your milling machine you can't file it. This is a fairly simple mod any machine shop could do for you. Make sure the new angle is machined on the side of the locking bolt that is visible through the mag well with the bolt closed I smoothed the machining marks off of mine with emery cloth. It works great.

Richard

I believe that it actually was imported as a LEO only 12c with an 18 inch barrel, pistol grip and folding stock. My local Class3 guy cut the barrell back and had it registered. I've never had any functioning problems with it but I'm not sure if the gas sytem has been modified from the original. The Poly choke seems to work fairly well. The rifle sights that I had installed work well also, but I'm considering replacing the front sight with the AK style

post-2-1072227988.jpg

Hey 12gGunman:

Who was your local class 3 dealer? I live in central Florida myself and have seriously considered doing the same. The $200 tax stamp is not so much to pay to legally have exactly what you want. Besides, most of us pay a lot for modifications that only marginally approximate what we really want in a gun. I say you did a pretty smart thing going ahead with the class 3.

Anyway, if you give me your dealer's contact information, I'll probably give him a call and see what he can do for me. I like the idea of working with someone who has done this particular type deal before.

Thanks in advance.

Billyjobob

I do all my Class3 business with Tim Smith of Tims Guns in Winter Haven. Tim's been feeding my "addiction" for years LOL. I saw the Saiga just before I went to Kosovo back in 1999/2000 and had to have it. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with Ghost ring sights. The front one I have is a little sharp, but it does allow for pretty tight groups with slugs. I was actually surprised at how well the gun shoots with real sights on it. It came stock with the narrow AK-74 type grip which was scrapped after the first shooting session for the FN grip thats on it now. Just wish that I worked for an agency where I could carry it. With a tac light, it'd be a great entry gun (Keep your MP-5!). I'll look up Tim's number but his AOL is AUTOGUN.