Looking for more positive ejection(Gas Port Size)

I will start off by saying that my 18" S308 conversion has been a totally reliable rifle and is holding 2 MOA even with fairly crummy ammo but it's ejection cycle has always seemed pretty soft since cutting it down and recrowning it and I decided after shooting today to take a stab at curing this by opening up the gas port to 1.6mm.A very modest amount of material was removed but since the original gas port was so tiny it must have more than enough pressure going on even with the tiny gas port to still cycle reliably up until this point.

Does anyone her have any experience with gas ports on a Saiga 308?Has anyone measured the gas port sizes on a 22" vs a 16"? I just can't bring myself to trust a rifle that doesn't throw the brass at least 10ft preferable 12-18 feet with every other semi auto rifle caliber weapon I have ever used.

I will be testing it later this week and we shall see if the very conservative increase in gas will make the ejection of empty cases "authoritative"

I wouldn't fix what ain't broke, soft ejection, reliable, no problem.

+1

When building my 74 pistol I at first had soft but reliable ejection, but not strong and flingy like an AK. So I got the bright idea to "fix" it. I drilled the gas hole through the barrel out only .008 bigger. Now I had strong forceful ejection, but also my carrier was now hitting my rear trunion hard enough to mar it, trigger slap where there was none before. So I ended up having to put an extra power recoil spring and a recoil buffer to "fix" the "fix" that wasn't needed in the first place.

I already drilled it out and the amount of material removed was about the same as the difference between clicks on a FAL gas regulator and I am actually expecting to have to ream it even more to reach my goal of 12+ feet of ejection.

Worst case scenario I drill the gas block and insert a restrictor bushing like my long barreled krinkov..

Hell, if you get drill happy and go all the way through, you now have the option for a SBR .308. =P

What size drill bit did you use?

1.6mm the hole was more reamed than actually drilled out but I have already been shopping 16" S308s and thinking about a 308 version of an AK104 for about 3 months now so don't tempt me :D

The ejection seems to have improved ever so slightly but it is still weak enough that if a smaller framed person mounts a shooting position without a great deal of firmness that the rifle could still short stroke.Doesn't do it with me but it did with my friend and that means that when it's real dirty or starts getting a tiny bit of blowby that it will choke for sure.Has anyone here measured their gas port?I need a measurement from a 16" S308 for comparison very badly.

Here is a video of me shooting it with a fairly loose shooting stance and no compensator trying to get a malfunction and it seems to be holding steady while only throwing the brass 5-8 feet(it was throwing the brass right beside me) but when my wife shoots it it will short stroke because it throws her around too much.

Is a Saiga 308 recoil spring stronger than a regular 7.62x39 spring?Is there a low power recoil spring made for rifles that way they are for Saiga 12s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1kJPH7GGK0

Edited by SOPMOD
  • 6 months later...