I am new here and have finaly decided to buy a Saiga12. But I have been debating with myself if i should convert one myself or just buy one already done. I was just really wondering if there are any benefits to buying a full converted one (any additional changes they might do) when compared to a home conversion?

Edited by Diamond
I am new here and have finaly decided to buy a Saiga12. But I have been debating with myself if i should convert one myself or just buy one already done. I was just really wondering if there are any benefits to buying a full converted one (any additional changes they might do) when compared to a home conversion?

You have much reading to do on here. There is a thread about "why you should convert" under the saiga 12 section. However, the most important reason is simply because those naughty democrats may make it so you wont be able to later.

Bought fully converted: :dollar::dollar::dollar: with warranty

Converted at home: save - :money: no warranty

There's not much to warranty on these guns. There were some "vodka" specials last year but I think those no longer exists among the current crop of Saigas. Just imagine all the world's armies expecting Mikhail Kaleshnikof to give them a warranty for all the AK's out there. Not happening and not necessary.

I'd recommend that you convert on your own. It would give you a better understanding of the gun and its not that hard at all because of the gun's simplicity. On top of that, there's a back log for converted guns that may stretch out to the end of the year for some converters. So if you have the time and the money then buy a converted gun and wait.

Thank you for the input:) Yeah nothing could ever be wrong with a better overall understanding of how it all works with doing the conversion myself. cAnd i do like the fact i could get two for almost teh price of one. I have been looking on all the ones up for sale that are offered by the shops fully converted and the only thing i see on them so far that I wouldnt be able to do is tig weld the holes left over from the conversion. On a home conversion are these holes visable or do they hide underneath another part?

I had someone do my conversion as they were able to press my barrel off to give me a 4th hole and slightly enlarge the others to be able to run all types of ammo. And for that service, the new ftg, stock, parkerizing, duracoating, shipping and all was cheaper than i could buy it and do it myself. So it was a no brainer for me to go with a fully converted gun. I am buying another to do myself though. As far as the holes go, they will be filled with the screws that hold the stock mount in place.