I bought a couple AK-Builder.com receiver flats. If I only bend it using his jig, I'm assuming it would be considered a firearm after that point. There will be no rails welded or heat treating. If the flat itself is 80% any work done to it after that (ie. bending) would now constitute it as a firearm? I'm wondering because I would like to bend a flat and then have a professional (someone who knows what they're doing) finish a build for me. Thanks.

Don't know the answer to your question, and unless you can know the answer with a very high degree of certainty first, fill out your Form 1 before doing anything to the flat.

80% is a term that is made up by people selling sheetmetal at a premium, it has no actual relationship to the law. The actual law says something like "fires a projectile by the use of a propellant, or can be readily converted to do so." Readily converted is the standard used, and not defined by law, but by executive judgment as exercised by Uncle BATFEcker. In the past, the industry consensus was that anything over about 20% of the total worktime of the peice being not yet done was enough to keep it from being "readily converted", but the ATF could change its mind at any time. The recent raid on Richard Celata (last year or two or so,) underscored that quite clearly. Celata sells, or rather, used to sell, 80% receivers, as normally recognized in the industry as being "not a gun", but unfortunately, he also is fairly politicaly active, and BATFE came and raided him, and charged him with a whole slew of crimes, starting with manufacturing and distributing firearms without a license. The charges were dropped, but Celata lost his entire inventory, and now can only sell 60% receivers, or he will likely go to prison for making not a guns. The upside is that he lives in montana and soon may not have to worry about all this, if SCOTUS doesnt show its tyrannical yellow underbelly in the next few months.

All that being said, yes, if you bend the flat i would think it would be considered a firearm. You can of course make your own firearms, (excluding NFA items, and subject to state law im sure) for your own use, all you want, without limit or permit.

Not sure that is a problem, but unless you mark the receiver, its going to be aweful hard to transfer it to a gunsmith to have him do the work. So either mark it, or finish it yourself (its fun and easy) or go with a inexpensive receiver from Nodak Spud. Thats my advice, for what its worth. IANAL, No Warranty exists, either explicit or implied, results may vary, Do not eat. Not a toy, Postage will be paid by addressee. If condition persists, consult your physician.

Edited by ReverendFranz
Don't know the answer to your question, and unless you can know the answer with a very high degree of certainty first, fill out your Form 1 before doing anything to the flat.

Why would he need a Form 1?

He hasn't said anything about bulding an NFA weapon.