ak 223 mag compatible with 223 saiga?

I purchased an ak 223 30 round magazine and heard it would work on a saiga 223 rifle as long as there was some minor modification, so i went ahead and mod the ak mag and it finally fit the saiga. I put a round in the mag and inserted the mag into the saiga and chambered a round and it worked fine but now i would like to know if anyone has ever done this mod and tested it. I havent had a chance to fire it so if anyone had done this please let me know the outcome. Thanks

In order for it to be legal for you to install the magazine on a Saiga, you will have to replace 4 Russian parts with 4 US-made ones, unless, of course, you are modding it outside the borders of the United States of Amerika. Otherwise, you are a victim of the AWB and the JBTs can haul you off to jail.

Those of us that live in the USof A think fondly of the good ole days when it was a free country.

Edited by Sheik Yerbouti

Depending on which Mag you used, you may have to modify the rifle some.

I used E German steel mags and you have to either install a bullet ramp and/or grind notch on the back side of the chamber edge or modify the mag to include a ramp or lip on it.

They do work, but on some mags the shells ride the bottom of the receiver into the back of the trunion or chamber.

I have heard something about some people using the AK74 bakelite mags and using a Robarm follower in them with success.