.308 Sure Fire Mags

Just ordered some 15rd mags from Sure Fire, only 15rds allowed in fucking Nazi new jersey....

I probably should have asked before I ordered them, but eh...I'm drinking beer. :beer:

How are these mags? Anybody got problems with theirs? It said it holds the bolt back on an empty mag, hows that?

Just ordered some 15rd mags from Sure Fire, only 15rds allowed in fucking Nazi new jersey....

I probably should have asked before I ordered them, but eh...I'm drinking beer. :beer:

How are these mags? Anybody got problems with theirs? It said it holds the bolt back on an empty mag, hows that?

Considering they are the only 15rd magazine you can buy for your S308 currently they are pretty much awsome.

There are 2 kinds of mags for the S308 Surefire mags which are kind of brittle and can be tight some mag wells and FBMGs which are kind of soft and can swell to that they are hard to get into the mag well they were loose in just days before.

I like the FBMG mags the best but they don't make a 15rd mag for NJ but I am about to invest in some surefires as well for hot weather use after a recent shooting session where the heat caused my FBMG mags to swell so much from load compression that they were very difficult to seat in the weapon.

You will be alright with the surefires,just don't go dumping them on the concrete when practicing your speed reloads and you'll probably do just fine.

Howdy neighbor!

I used these 15rdrs for a year now and absolutely no issues. Put 100s of rounds through them.

Wouldn't you run into 922r issues w/ the 15-rounders on a stock .308?

I have the 15-round mags (2) for my 7.62. They SUCK, would jam (FTF) about every 3-6th round, on my 922r compliant 7.62...

who said anything about stock?

mine is 922r compliant

The bolt stops on the follower. And it hits it HARD, like on my early prototype steel mags the bolt would put a dent in follower.

The factory mag has two small tracks on each side that stop the follower from over traveling, my steel mags have stopper that contacts the feed lips on either side to keep the follower from being struck by the bolt. I don't think Surefire has anything like that in their mags, follower stops against the feed lips and gets smacked by the bolt when empty.

My only thing with the mags (and I have the same issue with all plastic mags) is that the rounds always wear down the plastic feed lips. Plastics also have a chance that they could become brittle over a few years, my dad has a single shot .22 thats something like 40 years old every plastic part is very very brittle. If it was a .308 they would shatter off with the first shot, now imagine thats your last "pre 2015 ban mag" and now all you can get is a 2 rounder.

Edit: Duh.. See your in jersey so your kinda stuck with surefire or if your lucky surefire. At least until either FBMG or "someone else" B) makes their mags in 15 round or under sizes.

Edited by csspecs

Actually,the Surefires have a steel stop in the follower to make the BHO work,and the way they look,that piece won't come out too soon.

I've got a few of the Surefires and Ruskie and the csspecs,none of either has ever given me troubles and my Surefires have hundreds of rounds through them each already.

As for the old 22 mags,40 years ago they didn't have anywhere near the plastics they do now.Most were made from Phenolics,which is what pot handles are made of,and I have an old Marlin mag that was made of

acrylic,which was and still is brittle.Now,some of the aftermarket ones for my rugers were Polycarbonate which they wont break or be brittle probably ever.

Good info guys, when I get my mags i will try and fire them this weekend and I will update this post and give a good review. I can't fire to much ammo for a dependable/credible review, I'm just going to test a full mag load on each because of this damn ammo shortage. I only shoot what I can replace now a days..... :wet_eyes: I'm going to keep drinking to forget my miserable ammo blues, I think I know now how grandpa felt during the great depression.

Actually,the Surefires have a steel stop in the follower to make the BHO work,and the way they look,that piece won't come out too soon.

I've got a few of the Surefires and Ruskie and the csspecs,none of either has ever given me troubles and my Surefires have hundreds of rounds through them each already.

As for the old 22 mags,40 years ago they didn't have anywhere near the plastics they do now.Most were made from Phenolics,which is what pot handles are made of,and I have an old Marlin mag that was made of

acrylic,which was and still is brittle.Now,some of the aftermarket ones for my rugers were Polycarbonate which they wont break or be brittle probably ever.

Note that I said "chance". I know that plastics do have a few advantages, they don't rust, won't dent and they have softer edges that don't poke you if you have them in a pocket. They also are somewhat self lubricating.

I did not know about the metal insert in the follower, still not something that is going to encourage long service life of the product but even still it would probably take a good number of whacks before anything even starts to happen.

Well I just got the Surefire Mags in the mail, I will update this weekend on if they feed properly.

But so far: The Surefire's are not very tight at all, just a little more snug then the original factory mag. They slip effortlessly in. Maybe the company has recently been working on their quality control? They don't seem to be brittle at all and are just as tough as the original. The metal plate at the bottom of the mag that holds the bolt back seems perfectly adequate for the forces applied to it. The bolt only travels about half an inch before it strikes the mags base plate "metal insert". I doubt the bolt will dent the mags stopping base insert by the way its designed. Overall it actually looks like a good quality mag. Yet it still has to prove itself on the range, I will have to get back to you guys on that test soon.

• 4 months later...

I tested out the 15rd Surefire mags and they are flawless. Used Wolf ammo and no complaints at all. The only complaint about these mags is that they are costly and dig into my beer budget, other then that, the mags attach smooth snug and where just as reliable as the original 8rd mag. They are as good as Kalashnikov would have wanted...Cheers!

Side note, These mags seem just as strong as the original plastic polymer 8rders that come from Izhmash. I did throw both mags around and kicked the Surefires for testing and fun to prove them. I didn't run them over with a car, but they can certainly take abuse. I wound not underestimate them, then again metal dents and plastic cracks. I'm not willing to test my shit until it breaks but this seems damn good enough. I'll publicly state that if the world comes crumbling to its knees and the sky falls, The only gun I would consider grabbing is my saiga .308 and these plastic mags...

I tested out the 15rd Surefire mags and they are flawless. Used Wolf ammo and no complaints at all. The only complaint about these mags is that they are costly and dig into my beer budget, other then that, the mags attach smooth snug and where just as reliable as the original 8rd mag. They are as good as Kalashnikov would have wanted...Cheers!

Side note, These mags seem just as strong as the original plastic polymer 8rders that come from Izhmash. I did throw both mags around and kicked the Surefires for testing and fun to prove them. I didn't run them over with a car, but they can certainly take abuse. I wound not underestimate them, then again metal dents and plastic cracks. I'm not willing to test my shit until it breaks but this seems damn good enough. I'll publicly state that if the world comes crumbling to its knees and the sky falls, The only gun I would consider grabbing is my saiga .308 and these plastic mags...

amen brother!