I'm pissed at sure fire mags!

Ok maybe I shouldn't be pissed but I have 2 surefire 30 round clear mags that I just got for my unconverted saiga 7.62x39 and neither will fit my gun or my friends unconverted either!!!!!

They just scrape the sides of the reciever, it just seems like they are too wide or something but comparing them with the factory mag they look the same, when really trying to get them to seat they get scratched up but there is no way to make them go.

Seems like a crappy product so far, anyone else have this experience, I guess these will go back to MAA unless there is some way to make them work, brute strengh won't do it lol.

Update, I had to sand, It takes a big man to admit he over reacted, I am not that man :)

It should of been perfect from the box!

Ok maybe I over reacted a little tiny bit.. :wub:

No so. Those mags are on the list of units I would never run. You should consider a bullet guide and some real com block mags.

Update, I had to sand, It takes a big man to admit he over reacted, I am not that man :)

No so. Those mags are on the list of units I would never run. You should consider a bullet guide and some real com block mags.

I do not want to drill my gun, why would you never run those mags? unreliable? or what.

I do not want to drill my gun, why would you never run those mags? unreliable? or what.

Well, they have the undesirable combination of having crappy followers, cheap materials, and terrible aesthetics. The only American magazine I run are a few tapco mags that came with a rifle I traded for a while ago. Even they have really bad springs.

If your gonna run plastic magazines the Bulgarian circle-10 "waffle" mags or the Polish/ Russian slabsides are the way to go. If your going to run metal, go with any surplus com block mag.

Dude,drill the damned gun,put in the feedramp/bullet guide and then you can find $10ea surplus metal mags that are 100% reliable and interchangeable with all of the other 2 billion Kalashnikovs on this planet.

Saiga 7.62+feedramp= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeAreLYHTxo

I have never,ever,ever had a mag fitting problem or malfunction in thousands of rounds from a Dinzag bullet guide and real AK47 mags.It's so simple that for the cost of 1 surefire magazine you can enter a whole new world of mags for your Saiga including 75rd and 100rd drums!!

I promise you will not regret it..

Edited by SOPMOD

Dude,drill the damned gun,put in the feedramp/bullet guide and then you can find $10ea surplus metal mags that are 100% reliable and interchangeable with all of the other 2 billion Kalashnikovs on this planet.

I have never,ever,ever had a mag fitting problem or malfunction in thousands of rounds from a Dinzag bullet guide and real AK47 mags.It's so simple that for the cost of 1 surefire magazine you can enter a whole new world of mags for your Saiga including 75rd and 100rd drums!!

Is it easy for a guy who is not to mechanical?

Is it possible to screw it up so you won't even be able to use the gun anymore?

sorry I'm a noob but that is my worries, what if I drill it wrong?

If you're uncomfortable drilling it, check the two help links in my sig, there are people out there who will help you :)

Worst case scenario is that you have a hole in the floor of your (a non essential area in an unconverted Saiga)trunnion that won't even matter if you are still using those surefire mags.

You will show us a picture of where you are going to put your trunnion and drill your hole.Then we will tell you to take a hammer and a pointy punch and then put the tip of the point punch(or even a large nail with a sharp point) and then whack the piss out of it one time with a hammer to make a small divot.Then you will take the small drill bit supplied with the Dinzag Bullet Guide Kit and place a drop of oil on the tip of it and put it precisely on the divot you made with the hammer and the pointy punch(or nail) and then looking at it from all sides to make sure it's at a right angle to the top line of the receiver you will drill it a very short distance and then when it's done you can take your tapered tap(also supplied in the dinzag kit) and turn it a 1/4 turn then back out and then a 1/4 turn more and back out again and do this a couple more times and you have a threaded hole to screw down your trunnion with the supplied button head cap screw.then you can take a file and finish the mag release edge for a perfect fit.Taking a real AK mag and insterting it and rocking it up until your filing allows it to clear.

This takes me all of 10 minutes after doing it a few times but if you are worried then let it take 2 days if you need to go slow then be patient and do it slow.

Thanks guys, you have talked me into it, I am going to get the kit and do it.

I'll let you know when I got it done..

Uh,when you get it in there you should take a pic and show somebody who knows what it's supposed to look like before drilling any holes,OK?

Thanks guys, you have talked me into it, I am going to get the kit and do it.

I'll let you know when I got it done..

Uh,when you get it in there you should take a pic and show somebody who knows what it's supposed to look like before drilling any holes,OK?

I will do that, thanks for taking the time to give me that good advice, I will place it and take pix then do the drilling and take more pix. I have been reading the instructions on dinzag's site.

Thanks.

I suggest a drill press , I used a hand drill and the hole came out a little crooked it was a little tuff to get the screw in but I got it done.The most common thing to go wrong is to brake the tap in the hole but as suggested to me by Mr. Cobra76two just get center punch and smack the shit out of it the broken pieces will fall out.

I suggest a drill press , I used a hand drill and the hole came out a little crooked it was a little tuff to get the screw in but I got it done.The most common thing to go wrong is to brake the tap in the hole but as suggested to me by Mr. Cobra76two just get center punch and smack the shit out of it the broken pieces will fall out.

just installed the dinzag bullet guide today

Definately recommend the drill press, i picked one up at sears for $120.00 when i started my conversion, make sure you get a good centered divot, even with the drill press my first hole was a bit off when i removed the trigger guard becuase i didnt get a deep enough divot . if you havent done the pistol grip conversion yet, it makes that a breeze so by the time you get the bullet guide, you'll have the starter punch and drilling down, I found tapping the hole much more difficult because i broke the tap, but was also able break it apart with my starter punch and it came right out. So dont panick if you break the tap, I bought a kobalt tap which seems to be a bit stronger and took it slower than the first time, lots of oil, 1/8 turn till i had a full 360 degree turn and removed the tap to free up the chips and repeated the process and the install came out great. I had the same concerns but at worst you'll end up having to use saiga mags as previously mentioned, you can do it, we can help :)

Now, just waiting on my $10 Romainian Mags i ordered.

I have a clear 30 from surefire, it works flawless for me. Yes, it does fit tight, but it has no wobble which is kinda nice. I also have 2 metal surefire mags which they no longer make, they also run flawlessly but wobble like regular ak mags do.

I have a clear 30 from surefire, it works flawless for me. Yes, it does fit tight, but it has no wobble which is kinda nice. I also have 2 metal surefire mags which they no longer make, they also run flawlessly but wobble like regular ak mags do.

I'll give you a dollar if you drop a fully loaded clear surfire mag from a hight of 6' or more and video tape it for me... My bet is it will break in half or at the least crack at the feed lips.

I did one Saiga bullet guide with a drill press, the other with a hand drill. Just brace the weapon well in a vise (use something between vise and Saiga to protect finish) set the guide in, center punch the trunnion through the hole in the guide, and drill with the drill in the DInzag kit. Not high speed, but medium, with medium pressure. Tap 1/8 turn at a time, back off, the repeat. Use oil. 15 minute job tops.

I was one of the morons that broke the tap when I did my bullet guide, but eventually I got the little bastard installed. I'm running Master Molder mags until I can get some decent Com-bloc mags; the guys at the local surplus store are asking a little too much for steel surplus 30-rounders.

I'll give you a dollar if you drop a fully loaded clear surfire mag from a hight of 6' or more and video tape it for me... My bet is it will break in half or at the least crack at the feed lips.

lol, well duh, all the mags would break or be damage to point of not working (except maybe Arsenal) but these mags aren't made for combat, just plinking....like the other ones out there...

If you do it carefully you can use either the saiga or AK mags. There is a thread on this already.

The surefire mags feed perfectly and have a place if you are trying to stay 922r compliant. Not a long term solution though but short term its fine as i doubt many of us drop loaded mags on concrete as a hobby. The 308 guys are getting along very fine with US mags.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have to sand down the magazine to fit then they used the same mold to make them as the black ones. The material shrinkage after molding is different for the clear mags and sometimes predicting shrinkage is a black art for the molders. I've had to sand down some Eagle magazines (for the Mini-14) to fit the rifle which worked nicely until the rolling spring attachment broke off.

Slight sanding down is not so bad once you get the mag to fit. Trouble with most transparent magazines is that the material is more brittle than colored plastic mags and they are more likely to crack. I can't speak for the Surefire but that is what happened with the Eagle ones.