Question on gas valve

I purchased my new Saiga 12 about a month ago and have been trolling these forums for a couple months. I put 100 slugs through it so far (75 2 3/4" and 25 3" slugs) and it shoots wonderfully but what a difference in that extra quarter inch! It seems as if there is some excessive contact between the rear of my bolt carrier group and the rear trunnion block. Now what I'm thinking is this isn't normal and maybe I'm getting too much gas back through the piston. So I would like to try shooting it with reduced gas setting. I've been shooting on setting 1. That's with the gas plug all the way screwed in and backed out about an 1/8 of a turn. If I back it out any further will that allow more or less gas back through? I understand I will need a certain amount to allow the gun to cycle and function properly, but I am hoping for a little less and prevent the bolt carrier from hammering the trunnion.

Chris

IZ-09 unconverted

thanks for the link. I looked at my gas knob and it makes a lot more sense. My next question is how much wear or contact is expected between the bolt carrier group and the rear trunnion block? Mine looks like I took a ball peen hammer to it.

Chris

IZ-09 Unconverted

thanks for the link. I looked at my gas knob and it makes a lot more sense. My next question is how much wear or contact is expected between the bolt carrier group and the rear trunnion block? Mine looks like I took a ball peen hammer to it.

Chris

IZ-09 Unconverted

Not that much wear you need to turn down your gas as you are going to destroy your shotgun. Make or buy a buffer to put in there too, just not too thick.

Yeah it sounds like you have been shooting heavy shot slugs,buck,magnum on the 2 wich if you pull the adjustment completly out you will see one side is slanted one is flat the flat is 1 slant 2 flat cuts most of the gas off so it does not slam into the rear trunion and destroy it on heavy loads 2 is slanted to allow more gas to get the bolt to make it back to eject if u keep shooting like that u will need to replace the bolt carrier rear trunion and the bolt if not the reciever if u happen to break that to

There's quite a bit of controversy over using a buffer. Some say not to. while others say it helps.

I know I use a buffer in my FAL, so I bought one for my S-12, thinking it would protect the trunnion.

It wouldn't allow the bolt carrier to move rearward enough though, so I took it out.

They aren't that expensive though, so you may want to try one. If your gun functions okay with it, I'd say leave it in. But if you get failures to extract, eject, or feed, take it back out.

Not sure if you've already damaged your trunnion too much, only inspection by a knowledgable Saiga/AK 'smith might answer that. I'm not that knowledgable about Saiga/AKs though, so I'm not sure what's involved in replacing it if it needs that. Maybe one of our members here can advise you on that.

Good luck.

Yeah the buffer can be cut in half in some cases and still be used but depending on the material some compounds cause a springing affect that makes the bolt spring backforward it should hit the back and the regular spring that is holding tention force it backforward and to replace the trunion you have to cut the rivits out and remove it from the reciever not to hard of a task that's not saying you have not damaged the carrier and bolt also