Way off gun topic-where to rent a car with a manual transmission

I want to teach my daughter how to drive a manual transmission. But, I don't have a car with a manual transmission and it appears that the big car rental companies don't either. Does anyone have an idea as to where, or how, I can easily lay hands on a manual transmission car for a day or so? Some company must rent them in the Central North Carolina area.

I suppose I could be sneaky and test drive a mustang or something for a couple of hours and teach her, but that would not be very "Judicial."

Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

WJ.

Edited by WarriorJudge

There are no fleet vehicles that are manuals, only autos now, mostly because manuals are a dying art.

I had a friend learn on borrowed cars from dealers, never had a problem. I'd have her practice on something with a little less giddy-up, it's hard to control all that power when you don't really know what you're doing. Maybe a manual Accord or Camry, something under 200 ponies. When I was first learning, I used my dad's Mazda Protege, and I still managed to lay a patch with it.

Good luck, and practice on an empty stomach. Don't ask how I know this.

Do you know anyone nearby you that has one that might let you borrow it? If my truck was, you'd be welcome to borrow it. It'd be nice if you could spend a little more time teaching her and not be so rushed. I was 21 before I knew how to drive one. I was fortunate that my ex was a good teacher. And his truck didn't have as tight of a clutch.

So the major ones don't rent stick shifts. Hum. What if you wanted to rent a sports car? They don't rent them? I really don't know because I've only rented a car one time and that was a very long time ago.

I know, it is surprisingly difficult to find a stick shift now days. She may never "need" to know how to drive one, but I view it as a "life skill" which is worth learning if possible.

If I knew a used car manager at a dealer, I could probably get access to a trade in with a stick. This little project is going to take more effort that it should and way more effort than it would have taken 20 years ago.

Thanks for the kind thoughts about borrowing the vehicle if it had a stick. I appreciate it. Cobra and Racegal20 are good people!

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

Thanks yakdung! I'm going to follow up with Budget. My daughter already knows how to shift a motorcycle. I am hoping that skill/ability will make it easier for her to learn how to shift a car.

W

Edited by WarriorJudge

make sure you teach her how to stretch through 2nd and 3rd. :) wait a judge wouldnt do that! nevermind.

actually, you should demonstrate what happens when you shift wrong on a turn on dirt, if you can. I wiped one time holding the clutch in, and then shifting as I came out of a turn in the rain into the wrong gear when I was a kid and took a telephone pole out. Now, granted, later on, I used to do this intentionally in my camaro, but its an easy one to fuck up if you arent told about it.

The reason I prefer and drive a stick, is the extra control you have on the vehicle. And you can stop pretty freaking quick with a stick by downshifting fast and stomping the break when you have to.

anyhow, some of the things I was told and taught, but forgot quicker than hell when i got my "freedom" at 16. maybe demonstrating this stuff to your kid will help them remember it a little better, is all im suggesting. besides, if you find a rear wheel drive stick, you KNOW you gotta have a little fun, right :) just make sure she doesnt tell mom :)

speedtrap.com is also a little helpful too, if you are in a new area....for you I mean...but judges wouldnt look at that either, would they :)

LOL, Ah learning how to drive a manual....the first time I drove one was when I bought a Mustang, and I had to drive it home.....never had driven a stick before, it was a memorible and scary experiance...poor car...I'd guess call around to your friends/relatives first before spending $$, but if you have to, call up some local driving schools to see if there is one around.....good luck, and remember..always opt for the extra insurance LOL

Having been a cabbie for some years, I've gotten some unusual requests.

One was to teach a Polish immigrant how to drive. :o

It seems the driving school kicked him out. :(

Poor guy had coke bottle glasses and nothing weird about him (I think the school put him out because of personality conflicts).

Anyway, he paid for the rental car and my daily fee and had his license by the end of the week.

Thank heavens for the centrally mounted emergency brake . . . .

WJ, you're probably gonna have to borry one from an individual. Liability and all that keeps automatic trannys in the rental fleets. Hell, even the military gave up manuals years ago (sad to say).

Having been a cabbie for some years, I've gotten some unusual requests.

One was to teach a Polish immigrant how to drive. :o

It seems the driving school kicked him out. :(

Poor guy had coke bottle glasses and nothing weird about him (I think the school put him out because of personality conflicts).

Anyway, he paid for the rental car and my daily fee and had his license by the end of the week.

Thank heavens for the centrally mounted emergency brake . . . .

WJ, you're probably gonna have to borry one from an individual. Liability and all that keeps automatic trannys in the rental fleets. Hell, even the military gave up manuals years ago (sad to say).

Doing cabbie has always seemed to be sort of a "freedom" way of putting beans on the table. Sometimes dangerous for sure. Do you use gps a lot nowadays? Do you buy your own cab and equipment then contract out?

Take her to an arcade first.... Most games with sit down cabinets have an option for manual or auto trans...

you would be surprised how realistic some of them can be....

1181242155198.jpg

Doing cabbie has always seemed to be sort of a "freedom" way of putting beans on the table. Sometimes dangerous for sure. Do you use gps a lot nowadays? Do you buy your own cab and equipment then contract out?

Let's not hijack the Judge's thread.

Questions answered here.

I'm a firm believer that everyone should know how to drive stick, as well. I've taught every girl I dated. You never know when the skill will come in handy. I learned when I was 15. My aunt taught me.

Try: http://www.orbitz.com/App/DisplayCarSearch . They have "Automatic/Manual/No Preference" on a drop-down menu for "Transmission". Granted, it didn't find any manuals near me when I just searched, but maybe it will find something in your area.

Got any friend's or relatives who live in the "boondocks"? Some of their neighbors may have a work-truck (like an old pick-up or something) that they use on their land or something.

Lurk mode OFF

FWIW, Locate a 4WD club in your area and talk to them. I've taught several kids (family & friends) how to drive in my 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser. Find an empty parking lot, put the truck in 4 Lo and lock the hubs. They can shift through 4 gears and stay under 20 mph. I covered shifting, down shifting, braking, and stalls in about an hour. Everyone I taught enjoyed themselves and wanted to return the next weekend to practice. One girl reported back a year later that my efforts paid off when her dipstick boyfriend hurt his hand and couldn't drive his BMW back from the lake.

Just two cents...

Happy Trails!

Nick

Lurk Mode ON

WJ

Keep us posted on what you discover.

My daughter is turning 16 this year and both her mother and I drive manuals.

She will probably train on the wife's car. (4 cylinder rice burner) But I may want to go the rental route.

I think the manual transmission is one of the best anti-theft devices there is.

Most of the young perps who steal cars can't drive them. :haha:

You American's crack me up :lol::lol:

over here you'd be hard pressed to find an automatic to drive !

last visit to the States i "had" to hire a hertz Mustang as we Brits can only drive stick shifts.

all the best with the lessons.

Edited by gunfighteruk
You American's crack me up :lol::lol:

over here you'd be hard pressed to find an automatic to drive !

last visit to the States i "had" to hire a hertz Mustang as we Brits can only drive stick shifts.

all the best with the lessons.

If we come to visit you, can we teach her on your car?????

I trust you are doing well.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge
If you lose your nerve teaching her, you can always send her here:

http://www.skipbarber.com/driving_school/m...CookieSupport=1

:D

Yakdung

Yakdung: I just carefully looked that link over and it would be a good choice and it does have manual transmissions for the students to drive. Plus, it is not too far away from us.

Thanks!