Cool write up! I live near an Airport called Dulles (IAD), the only cabbies who are allowed to pick you up work for Dulles Flyer, they are the worst fucking cabbies I've dealt with, always fucking assholes with no respect for anyone, these pieces of shit won't even take your suitcases out of the trunk. If you're driving near the airport any time there's a cabbie doing something stupid, 9-times-out-of-10 they're driving a Dulles Flier cab. I went out to lunch one day on my motorcycle, parked in a standard car spot, since there weren't any bike spots in the lot; when I came out from my lunch, there's a fucking Dulles Flier cabbie running across the lot to get into his car, which he has parked across two spots, blocking me in. When he gets to his car he says, "Don't judge me." I say, "That's not for ME to do." I don't think he got it, if he wasn't there I was going to kick the side of his door in and drive over the curb.

I've taken cabs in NYC, DC, and SF, no problems anywhere, all nice guys to talk to, from all over the place. I got a cab in DC one time, the guy was about to go off duty and I wound up talking to him for like a half an hour, after I got the the destination. The last NYC cabbie was a Russian immigrant who had been in the states for 10 years, gave me a synopsis of his career in 15 minutes, that was good times!

When you said "photogenic situation," I had something totally different in mind. :angel:

No, nothing like that. I'm not interested in taking pix of non threatening folks. I AM interested in getting the mugs on camera of folks who are up to no good (towards me).

That activity isn't unusual (what you were thinking), but it doesn't happen near as often as is portrayed on certain cable channels.

Besides, if it's on TV - it's fake.

My ex's biological father was a taxi driver for many years. He wasn't quite as lucky. Must not have knocked on wood! LOL He had to shoot a black guy that got into his cab and tried to rob him. Fortunately, he was fine. Unfortunately for the would be robber, he wasn't quite so lucky. He's dead. Glad you haven't had to go through that.

My ex's biological father was a taxi driver for many years. He wasn't quite as lucky. Must not have knocked on wood! LOL He had to shoot a black guy that got into his cab and tried to rob him. Fortunately, he was fine. Unfortunately for the would be robber, he wasn't quite so lucky. He's dead. Glad you haven't had to go through that.

Well (knock on more wood), the closest I've come to guns was when a young Mexican whipped out his nickel plated 1911 one day.

Seems he'd just purchased / traded / otherwise acquired it and was proud of it.

He just wanted to show it off . . . .

So I complimented him on his choice and asked him to put it away and we talked guns for the rest of the ride . . .

The saying "Taxi drivers and bartenders make cheap shrinks." is so very, very true.

So you don't get any ladies all stripping their clothes off in the back seat??? "Taxi-Cab Confessions" is a lie!!!!!!!!! :lol:

On a serious note............do you have some sort of glass between you and the back seat? I've seen it in some cabs, but not in most. Is it usually bullet resistant?

Do you carry when you're working?

Man this is coming as a shock to me. I totally imagined you as some kind of computer jock with all your google and rss comments

I was thinking along the same lines. It's funny how you start to make certain assumptions about people, after reading their posts for X amount of time.

So you don't get any ladies all stripping their clothes off in the back seat??? "Taxi-Cab Confessions" is a lie!!!!!!!!! :lol:

It's a lie, but there are reflections of the truth in it (you can't blink or you might miss them). I used to have an exotic dancer for a regular client who would sometimes change after work. We had a good relationship. She worked at a gentleman's club far away from the docks. She'd give me a stack of her business cards (glossy color cards of her in her "business suit" with her "working name" in gold print) and I'd throw one on the rear floor boards or back seat whenever I picked up sailors at the docks. I made money and she made money.

A lot of cabbies out there do not know how to operate successfully as a cab driver.

On a serious note............do you have some sort of glass between you and the back seat?

Nope. Just my winning personality :cryss:

No comment. If you ever get to Houston, I'll tell ya all about it.

It's a lie, but there are reflections of the truth in it (you can't blink or you might miss them). I used to have an exotic dancer for a regular client who would sometimes change after work. We had a good relationship. She worked at a gentleman's club far away from the docks. She'd give me a stack of her business cards (glossy color cards of her in her "business suit" with her "working name" in gold print) and I'd throw one on the rear floor boards or back seat whenever I picked up sailors at the docks. I made money and she made money.

Pretty sly with the business cards :D . Makes perfect sense, though.

A lot of cabbies out there do not know how to operate successfully as a cab driver.

On a serious note............do you have some sort of glass between you and the back seat?

Nope. Just my winning personality :cryss:

Well shit then...............you's screwed! LOL. J/K, man.

No comment. If you ever get to Houston, I'll tell ya all about it.

Fair enough. Now that I'm thinking about it, I probably wouldn't publicly answer that question either.

Edited by 22_Shooter

A lot of fun to read! Provides an interesting insight.

I always wondered why cabbies were a lot easier to deal with than the limo drivers. I used to work in the hotel business and those guys(limo drivers) were notorious for fighting for airport shots. I had one situation where two limo drivers got out and duked it out in the breezway of the hotel as to who was first for the pick up in front of the guest! Do you know if the rules are different for those guys from a license persepctive? Do you know why some of them can act as a limo or a taxi using the same vehicle?

A lot of fun to read! Provides an interesting insight.

I always wondered why cabbies were a lot easier to deal with than the limo drivers. I used to work in the hotel business and those guys(limo drivers) were notorious for fighting for airport shots. I had one situation where two limo drivers got out and duked it out in the breezway of the hotel as to who was first for the pick up in front of the guest! Do you know if the rules are different for those guys from a license persepctive? Do you know why some of them can act as a limo or a taxi using the same vehicle?

I can only speak of Houston city ordnances.

I'm licensed for both taxis and limos, but you have to drive an actual limo to be a "limo driver".

Limo drivers don't have any airport hassles, because there's no "waiting area" or "queue system" for them at the airports. If a customer wants a limo to pick them up at the airport, the customer picks up the phone and makes arrangements with the limo company of their choice.

great cab tour, i need to pick your brain so to speake ,we are going the 15th on i35 sb to lachland afb how would you get there if it was you driveing? my oldest is graduating form there,thanks very much i havent left ok in i think20 years

great cab tour, i need to pick your brain so to speake ,we are going the 15th on i35 sb to lachland afb how would you get there if it was you driveing? my oldest is graduating form there,thanks very much i havent left ok in i think20 years

Well, San Antonio is a not quite a Houston suburb, but I think I can help you out.

You'll need to stay on I-35 south until you get to San Antonio (it'll split into I-35E and I-35W near Dallas/Fort Worth - you can take either one as they resume a single route south of D/FW).

When you get to San Antonio, this google map will be of service.

After getting all of the Pope's luggage loaded into the limo ( with REALLY DARK tinted windows...), Nalioth notices that the Pope is still standing on the curb.

"Excuse me, your Eminence, " he says, "Would you please take your seat so we can leave?"

"Well, to tell you the truth," says the Pope, "they never let me drive at the Vatican, and I'd really like to drive today."

"I'm sorry, but I cannot let you do that. I'd lose my job! And what if something should happen?" Nalioth protests.

"There might be something extra in it for you," says the Pope.

Reluctantly, Nalioth gets in the back as the Pope climbs in behind the wheel.

Nalioth quickly regrets his decision when, after exiting the airport, the Supreme Pontiff floors it, accelerating the limo to 105 mph.

"Please slow down, your Holiness!" pleads the worried Nalioth, but the Pope keeps the pedal to the metal until they hear sirens.

"Oh, dear God, I'm gonna lose my license," Nalioth moans!

The Pope pulls over and rolls down the window as the cop approaches, but the cop takes one look at him, goes back to his motorcycle, and gets on the radio.

"I need to talk to the Chief," he says to the dispatcher.

The Chief gets on the radio and the cop tells him that he's stopped a limo going a hundred and five.

"So bust him," said the Chief.

"I don't think we want to do that, he's really important," said the cop.

Chief exclaimed, "All the more reason!"

"No, I mean really important," said the cop.

The Chief then asked, "Who ya got there, the Mayor?"

Cop: "Bigger."

Chief: "Governor?"

Cop: "Bigger."

"Well," said the Chief, "Who is it?"

Cop: "I think it's God!"

Chief: "What makes you think it's God?"

Cop: "He's got the Pope for a limo driver!

:lol: I know a limo is not a cab.... but... Sorry... I just COULDN'T RESIST!!!! :lol:

:smoke:

Well, San Antonio is a not quite a Houston suburb, but I think I can help you out.

You'll need to stay on I-35 south until you get to San Antonio (it'll split into I-35E and I-35W near Dallas/Fort Worth - you can take either one as they resume a single route south of D/FW).

When you get to San Antonio, this google map will be of service.

Doesn't he have to take the NAFTA hiway at some point? LOL. BTW funny ass story IndyArms!

Edited by BronCobraJet

I drove a taxi in Cincinnati and it sucked. The City of Cincinnati makes drivers get taxi driver licenses. Most of the fares were welfare recipients who took a taxi to the supermarket so it was cyclical. At the beginning of the month they got their welfare checks and went on a spending spree (beer) but at the end of the month they were broke and out of beer. The taxis in the waiting area lose a lot of time in airports and have to pay the airport a fee to pick up fares in addition to the airport taxi license. One time I sat for four hours waiting for a fare there. I also took a family with a lot of smelly children and got a cold which kept me and my parents in bed for a week with high fever and took three weeks to heal from. I did okay during conventions and the Newport Jazz Festival when I had a lot of fares and tips. The company I worked for paid a commission then they closed down and reopened and as Nalioth described the driver had to lease the cab from the company.

The winter of 1977 where the extreme sub zero weather and bad economy made me give up taxi driving because I made very little money and was cold. The taxis were not as reliable as the cars today and you risked being stuck in the cold waiting for the service truck to either give you a jump start of tow you back while not being able to make money. At the time I left there were some stickups where drivers were held up for the little they made.

I did get one couple which I think were getting it on while I drove, the woman's head disappeared from the inside rear view mirror she sounded hot and I was thinking lucky for him. I tried to peer but the guy said keep your eyes on the road so they must have been doing something in the back seat.

Edited by uzitiger