Saiga firing pin for a 7.62x39 can a ak74 pin replace it?

I'm also curious about this subject. I'd like to get a spare firing pin for my Saiga and was wondering if the 7.62x39 from K-var will work.

The 7.62x39 pins are too short. The 5.45x39 pins appear long

enough. The saiga is more like the ak74 pattern rifles, but

I am not sure if the pin is the same. My saiga bolt has a free floating

pin (no spring). I think I have read somewhere that a free floating pin

will work inside of a spring loaded bolt but not the other way around.

Free floating

AK-178.jpg

Spring loaded

70-03-5.jpg

I am also interested in another pin for my 7.62x39 Saiga I have contacted Kvar and got an initial response that they were looking into it and in the last week nothing back from them. Someone said to contact Rifle Dynamics and ask, so far no response from them but it has only been a few days. I have contacted probably 90% of the businesses on this Forum and no one has any answers what will interchange either. Some one somewhere has to know the answer please let us know too...........

I am also interested in another pin for my 7.62x39 Saiga I have contacted Kvar and got an initial response that they were looking into it and in the last week nothing back from them. Someone said to contact Rifle Dynamics and ask, so far no response from them but it has only been a few days. I have contacted probably 90% of the businesses on this Forum and no one has any answers what will interchange either. Some one somewhere has to know the answer please let us know too...........

Sorry to hijack the thread, but isn't it fantastic that no one knows this answer! Shows how reliable and durable the AK pins are when not even experienced smiths and builders have had to change them. Go to AR15 forums and every one there carries several spare pins for their ARs.

What a fantastic platform the AK is when we need to know so little about firing pins, bolts, or bolt carriers. No browbeating for magnetic particle tested this or chrome lined that. We just shoot the hell out of them and don't worry about such things.

The reason I'm looking for a replacement is that I messed up the face of my hammer and the angle causes the hammer to hit the firing pin in a way that the end of the pin peened over some and is no longer flat. It still fires but I'd prefer to change them both out and start over.

The reason I'm looking for a replacement is that I messed up the face of my hammer and the angle causes the hammer to hit the firing pin in a way that the end of the pin peened over some and is no longer flat. It still fires but I'd prefer to change them both out and start over.

How did you damage the hammer face ? Just curious.

I'm also curious about this subject. I'd like to get a spare firing pin for my Saiga and was wondering if the 7.62x39 from K-var will work.

Firing pins are something that can potentially

break and having a spare or a few is not a bad idea. I don't think

RAA is going to bother importing spare parts. This is a do it yourself

type of thing.

Edited by my762buzz
If you still have your saiga cleaning kit then you do indeed have a drift pin punch small enough for the bolt. It is included from the factory for just this purpose.

I found a spare kit and removed the retaining pin from my bolt.

I compared the saiga factory firing pin with a surplus ak74 firing pin.

I couldn't see any real difference.

I inserted the surplus ak74 firing pin in my saiga 7.62x39 bolt

and it fit perfect. I examined the pin protruding into the breach face

and it worked flawlessly. I left the surplus pin in my bolt and

and hammered the retaining pin, and it fit fine.

Finally, I reinstalled the assembled bolt into the saiga and

pull the trigger. All worked fine. The firing pin was rechecked

to make sure it wasn't wedged after the hammer smacked

the pin upon firing and it was fine.

Conclusion: In my 7.62x39 ak74 pins are a drop in replacement.