I have shot a few informal 2 and 3 gun matches and enjoy them.

I recently bought a Saiga 12 and after the conversion I would like to use it in some matches.

I know that USPSA sponsors matches and I thought I read that there were a few more sanctioning body's that do or, will be offering matches.

I'm not sure about the magazine capacity limits that the different organizations rules allow. I also would like some advice as to what classes the Saiga falls into and how the gun should be configured to be legal.

I plan on buying some magazines but don't want to buy mags that will be illegal for competition. I also don't want magazines that are way to big ( say 12 round capacity ) to be loaded with only 8 rounds if that is the limit.

Thanks for your help.

I have shot a few informal 2 and 3 gun matches and enjoy them.

I recently bought a Saiga 12 and after the conversion I would like to use it in some matches.

I know that USPSA sponsors matches and I thought I read that there were a few more sanctioning body's that do or, will be offering matches.

I'm not sure about the magazine capacity limits that the different organizations rules allow. I also would like some advice as to what classes the Saiga falls into and how the gun should be configured to be legal.

I plan on buying some magazines but don't want to buy mags that will be illegal for competition. I also don't want magazines that are way to big ( say 12 round capacity ) to be loaded with only 8 rounds if that is the limit.

Thanks for your help.

Armored,

According to the 2009 USPSA Rulebook http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2009ShotgunRules2-5.pdf "Maximum of eleven rounds loaded (I understand this to be one in the chamber and ten in magazine). Exception is rule 8.1.1.2 which is ten in magazine and chamber empty. So, it seems that it depends upon how the stage is started, either empty chamber or one in chamber. USPSA is a good starting point and try other 3-gun matches that use different rules such as IMG or modified IMG. USPSA matches are usually well executed, but can get somewhat tedious due to the limited stage designs and inflexible rules. So-called "Outlaw" rules matches don't fit either USPSA or IDPA narrow definitions and can be some of the most fun and challenging matches to participate in. Just remember, whatever match you may attend that has divisions that you will be in "Open" class due to the Saiga-12.

Edited by Ronswin

I agree mostly with what Ronswin posted, but we are NOT always OPEN. Saiga is definitely OPEN in USPSA, but in "Outlaw" matches it is up to the particular match rules to determine what division you shoot. Some are allowing them to be shot in tactical classes provided they are not using optics or compensators. If you plan to compete with your Saiga then a conversion is a must and if you can swing it then add a magazine well and an extended mag release.

Thanks for the help.

My understanding is that the Saiga can't be topped off, say using a full 10 round mag then putting 1 round in the chamber for a total of 11 rounds. If that is the case the 12 round mag loaded with 11 rounds would seem the only option. Is this correct?

I have never handled a Saiga with any mag but the factory 5. I thought I would get 1 clear 12 round Surefire, then a 10 round and a 8 round. I thought that combo would get me through any stage. I'm a bit worried that the reported length of the 12 round mag might be a problem (awkward).

I did plan on the Mag well for the Surefire mags. I guess I'm just not convinced yet to buy Surefire mags. The mag well seems to be made for only one specific brand of magazine. I want to pick the best functioning mag before I commit to that Mag well.

Philg80,

You are indeed correct as a few matches do not make that much of a distinction between divisions or have divisions at all (i.e. NC Recon). I also agree that a pistol grip conversion will greatly help you as it will at the minimum, give a much better trigger pull if the conversion is done right.

Armored,

My suggestion is to go with AGP ten-round magazines for now as they are a proven product and until a match director tells you ten rounds only or one in the chamber and a full magazine, you won't know how that MD is interpreting the regulations for his particular match. The twelve round stick magazines are going to be heavier and little more awkward to load than ten round or eight rounders IMHO. I have been using six ten-round AGP's and occasionally, an MD-20 drum in all my matches and have zero problems with either equipment or regulations.