what's your intended use for your 308?

Aside from target shooting, what purpose or purposes do you have in mind for your Saiga 308? Hunting, home defense, SHTF weapon, something else?

I'm wavering between purchasing the 308 or the 7.62x39 version, and would like to hear your thoughts on the potential roles for this weapon.

Thanks.

Jim

Aside from target shooting, what purpose or purposes do you have in mind for your Saiga 308? Hunting, home defense, SHTF weapon, something else?

I'm wavering between purchasing the 308 or the 7.62x39 version, and would like to hear your thoughts on the potential roles for this weapon.

Thanks.

Jim

The 7.62x39 has far more available and cheaper mags than the .308. The ammo is also lighter to carry and cheaper (last I checked). You really won't go wrong with either one. Of course if your budget can take it, get both. I have a .308 and I love the damn thing, the 7.62x39 is on the top of the buy list (literally).

Zombie repellent for ranges past 100 meters.

No really...stop laughing...I mean it!

Seriously I got it because it can do everything I need a rifle to do (within its limitations). I'm not looking for 1/2 mile head shots but I did not want to be limited in ability to punch through cover.

Seriously I got it because it can do everything I need a rifle to do (within its limitations). I'm not looking for 1/2 mile head shots but I did not want to be limited in ability to punch through cover.

True Dat. .308 will make any kind of a cover into mere camoflage. You just can't beat its penetration. Gotta love shooting a big bullet in a rifle. Just went to the range and I was able to hit a metal swinger at 300yds. Woo Hoo!

If you don't see yourself packing all that ammo on you and hiking with it for 50miles a day then go for the .308

For me, aside from the range, it would be for TEOTWAWKI.

Sorry Officer, I respectfully decline to answer that question on the basis of the Fifth Amendment and my right of personal privilege and privacy, that any answer I may give may tend to

incriminate me. :blues:

Don't answer this narcs question.

Whatever dude.

+1 The Undead require massive tissue damage to cease ambulation and the 223 just wasn't up to the task at 500M.

I actually use my Saiga 308 in the same role I would have used an M16A2 years ago.It is similar size,similar weight but packs much more punch out to 500M.I can actually hear the rifle popper targets at 500 when using active hearing protection.In contrast when I was a lad working the target pits at DCM matches I could pluck the 5.56 projectiles out of the wooden target frames where they had barely penetrated about 1/3 of the time :D

For UO the 7.62x39AK is king but once you are in the country that little bit of extra range and power can mean a lot.

For UO the 7.62x39AK is king but once you are in the country that little bit of extra range and power can mean a lot.

Sorry, what's "UO"?

Thanks.

Urban Operations when fighting in built up areas instead of out in the sticks.Anything from an industrial facility to a suburb all the way up to a major city comes under UO donctrine.

+1

Urban Operations when fighting in built up areas instead of out in the sticks.Anything from an industrial facility to a suburb all the way up to a major city comes under UO donctrine.

Between the S-12 and the S-308 I felt I had all the ranges covered. The .308 round may seem like overkill in urban settings but if I only had one rifle, its the only one to have. My .308 carbine with 16" barrel has become my favorite rifle.

With the metal .308 mags that are coming out, I've been thinking more and more about building a 16" .308 and maybe ditching one of my X39 AK's. Of course I still love the X39, but I'd like to have a maneuverable .308, my 22" is pretty cumbersome.

I'd have to agree, 16" .308 is near perfect to carry on a hike thru the canyons or elsewhere. I've been spending quite a bit of time out at friends house using a natural berm to break it in and really get a feel for the weapon. From time to time I'll pickup a hunters permit and go stalk a few coyotes, it's sick for the task.

:)

oh lets see...

when the time calls for it, home defense, idiot killing, OH wait... i mean terrorist hunting, hog hunting and of corse, when i have a daughter and she brings home a boy friend, got to keep the boy in check.

and yeah the zombie thing is good too.

Let's see.....When the government bans importation of firearms and ammunition the 7.62x39 will no longer be plentyful. Look at the prices of domestically loaded 7.62x39. It is not affordable. 308 is not cheap, but it is plentyful. Our military still uses 308. The last time I checked I don't think they field any firearms that chamber the 7.62x39 cartridge. The 308 is extremely accurate and effective way past the point where the 7.62x39 has give up the ghost. Besides....who doesn't like the bark of a Saiga 308? It's like small artillery. :killer: