Just got a hold of a local FFL who said he can get these NIB for $197.

Should I snag one up?

The other thread here says that Dicks had them on sale for $199. So I'm thinking I should jump on this.

Yay or nay?

You may also want to check out the Hawk 997 or 998 not sure what number. Same shotty but the reciver is the same profile as the 870. It is a norinco same as the pardner's. The weight is a little less without the hump the pardners have. I got one for around the same price ($179.00 + fees) with the ghost ring sights, Very nice for the money and then some. Great deal. Barrels will interchange between the two. Stocks from the 870 will also fit.

You may also want to check out the Hawk 997 or 998 not sure what number. Same shotty but the reciver is the same profile as the 870. It is a norinco same as the pardner's. The weight is a little less without the hump the pardners have. I got one for around the same price ($179.00 + fees) with the ghost ring sights, Very nice for the money and then some. Great deal. Barrels will interchange between the two. Stocks from the 870 will also fit.

Yeah, those Hawks kept coming up in my searching for info on the Pardner. The only thing though, is that I'm trying to keep this purchase local. As the cheapest I've found these scatterguns online, once I factor in shipping and a transfer fee, I'd be spending more if I bought online.

As far as compatibility of parts, everything I've read says the barrels won't interchange from 870's to Pardners without some work (something about the barrel lug ring being in a different location on the two). All other accessories and most parts will interchange.

Also, 870 mag extensions won't fit flush with the barrel on the Pardners, but there's a guy who is a member on a ton of different forums who custom makes +2 extensions for Pardners and they are flush with the end of the barrel. I think I'll pick one up. I know I could just pick up an 870 extension, but it will annoy me if its not even :ded: .

DANGERUSS, if you're looking for a +2 mag extension for your Hawk, the ones that I referred to above that are custom made, also fit the Hawk pumps.

Check this thread out to see it: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947272 . His email is in his sig. I emailed him, and he replied saying they are $65 shipped (includes spring and follower).

Well, the distributor my local FFL usually gets these from, doesn't currently have any in stock. But he's having one shipped in from somewhere else.

I'll post pics and whatnot when I get it. Hopefully within a week (I have no idea where he's ordering it from or how long it's going to take).

Here is a little info i on this pump. http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/...st-2009?photo=1 I just got this isue yesterday.Caint wait to see your report on this pump.This is my first post here great forum.Brad

That's the Pardner Pump, what I got was the Pardner Protector. Yes, only a slight difference, I know.

Here is picture from the manufacturer website:

zoom_pardnerpump_protector.jpg

I picked it up from my FFL yesterday. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet.

That being said, it feels rock solid, which is what I'd expect with a steel receiver. The rock solid feel, almost reminds me of my Saigas.

Hopefully I can get out with it soon. I don't foresee any problems, being that every review I've read on this thing, was positive. I'll probably be picking up a +2 extension for it soon.

Also, I'll try to get some pics up.

P7240139.jpg

P7240138.jpg

(I know PG's are mostly a novelty on pumps, but hey, for so cheap, I figured "why not?")

I'll try it out both stocked and unstocked/PG'ed, and see what I like.

Picking up a money order tomorrow to send out for the +2 mag extension.

BTW, this is my first pump, and I have to say, this thing was INCREDIBLY easy to completely disassemble. While I was taking out the mag "plug" that limits the tube to 3 rounds, I quickly found out that removing the mag cap is also how you remove the barrel. The barrel pretty much fell off, and I was thinking "Well damn, that was easy." :lol:

Edited by 22_Shooter
P7240139.jpg

P7240138.jpg

(I know PG's are mostly a novelty on pumps, but hey, for so cheap, I figured "why not?")

BTW, this is my first pump, and I have to say, this thing was INCREDIBLY easy to completely disassemble. While I was taking out the mag "plug" that limits the tube to 3 rounds, I quickly found out that removing the mag cap is also how you remove the barrel. The barrel pretty much fell off, and I was thinking "Well damn, that was easy." :lol:

This is the one weakness I have found in this pump, the damn cap will come loose with extended fire like shooting clay, I hated not being able to put some locktite on the thing.

P7240139.jpg

P7240138.jpg

This is the one weakness I have found in this pump, the damn cap will come loose with extended fire like shooting clay, I hated not being able to put some locktite on the thing.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it when I shoot it.

Do 870's have this problem? Because they have the same setup; loosen mag cap and barrel comes off.

superA, I was just fiddling with the gun...........I noticed there was a "clicking" sound when you unscrew the mag cap. There's that "black end plug" (don't know the term for it) that has serrations around the rim. Then there's the mag cap itself and it has the same serration in the inside.

When you tighten down the mag cap, those serrations should grab eachother, and give a little resistance to the mag cap unscrewing.

So are you sure that your "black end plug" is sticking up out of the mag tube a little, so it can grab onto the serrations inside the mag cap? Because I noticed that it's possible to push the "black end plug" down into the mag tube a little bit, and if you give it a slight twist while you have it pressed down, it will catch on the dimples and stay slightly compressed. Meaning those serrations aren't protruding and can't grab on the mag cap serrations.

Am I making any sense with my non-technical terminology? :lol:

I took some pics to make it more clear.

So here is how the "black end plug" should be sticking out of the mag tube a little, and you can see the serrations:

P7250140.jpg

And here are the serrations that are inside the mag cap:

P7250141.jpg

So maybe you have the "black end plug" depressed and stuck on the dimples, therefore not grabbing onto the inside of the mag cap....and maybe that's why your mag cap keeps coming loose? Can you hear/feel the "clicking" when you unscrew your cap? I watched some disassembly videos on YouTube and you can hear theirs clicking too.

Edited by 22_Shooter
superA, I was just fiddling with the gun...........I noticed there was a "clicking" sound when you unscrew the mag cap. There's that "black end plug" (don't know the term for it) that has serrations around the rim. Then there's the mag cap itself and it has the same serration in the inside.

When you tighten down the mag cap, those serrations should grab eachother, and give a little resistance to the mag cap unscrewing.

So are you sure that your "black end plug" is sticking up out of the mag tube a little, so it can grab onto the serrations inside the mag cap? Because I noticed that it's possible to push the "black end plug" down into the mag tube a little bit, and if you give it a slight twist while you have it pressed down, it will catch on the dimples and stay slightly compressed. Meaning those serrations aren't protruding and can't grab on the mag cap serrations.

Am I making any sense with my non-technical terminology? :lol:

I took some pics to make it more clear.

So here is how the "black end plug" should be sticking out of the mag tube a little, and you can see the serrations:

P7250140.jpg

And here are the serrations that are inside the mag cap:

P7250141.jpg

So maybe you have the "black end plug" depressed and stuck on the dimples, therefore not grabbing onto the inside of the mag cap....and maybe that's why your mag cap keeps coming loose? Can you hear/feel the "clicking" when you unscrew your cap? I watched some disassembly videos on YouTube and you can hear theirs clicking too.

I don't have the gun anymore, but I do remember the clicking sound when I would twist the cap. The cap would only come slightly loose after putting a hundred rounds or so through it in one sitting, then I would ust give it a slight twist and it was back on tight. It wasn't something I worried about so much as it just irritated me a little. I do remember the plug having various positions and I can't honestly remember where mine sat.

• 2 months later...

On sale again at Dick's.

They have one less of them to sell today...

Very nice gun for the money. Sort of takes me back to the days when you could score a saiga 308 NIB for $265, or a 223 for $215.

The only bad things about it are the very same features I dislike about the 870 (safety and slide release locations, single extractor, and the unforgivable magazine dimples), but otherwise it's built like a tank and should serve as a nice trunk gun. Drilling out the mag dimples tonight. Since I want a 6 round sidesaddle, Mr For-end now has an appointment with Mr Miterbox. I compared it with the 870 express, and it seems the hawk/NEF is as good or better a gun in almost every way I could think to inspect.

Yep, very solid gun for $199. I like that Dick's doesn't charge a transfer fee too.

Once you drill out the dimples, do you leave that saw-toothed plastic piece in the mag tube or no?

It won't hold the cap on anymore since it will just spin without the dimples. SuperA made mention

of that cap spinning loose under repeated recoils, that would bug me a bit too.

As mentioned above there's a guy that sells a mag extender for the NEF. You can use an 870 piece

but it's a hair too long I guess. The custom piece this guy sells is $65.... not sure if I'll go for that or not.

GCPP-1.jpg

Google "nef pardner mag extension" and you'll find him.

Edited by Spartacus

Have to check with my local Dicks here in the Oxford Valley area.

If they got them for around $200 I'm grabbing one up this coming weekend and avoid the Xfer fees.

I may also add the 870 PG and have a home defense SHOTTY.. 022.gif

I want a damn shotgun and this fits the bill (and budget)

Yep, very solid gun for $199. I like that Dick's doesn't charge a transfer fee too.

Once you drill out the dimples, do you leave that saw-toothed plastic piece in the mag tube or no?

It won't hold the cap on anymore since it will just spin without the dimples. SuperA made mention

of that cap spinning loose under repeated recoils, that would bug me a bit too.

As mentioned above there's a guy that sells a mag extender for the NEF. You can use an 870 piece

but it's a hair too long I guess. The custom piece this guy sells is $65.... not sure if I'll go for that or not.

GCPP-1.jpg

Google "nef pardner mag extension" and you'll find him.

By simply drilling out the dimples and ditching the plastic plug on the muzzle end of the magazine tube you can squeeze one more 2 3/4 in shell in it. In an hour or so, you can have a 6+1 for free.

I've been messing around with mine, and have found the 3 Gun Gear velcro sidesaddle to be the cat's ass for this gun. Two reasons, it holds seven extra shells at the ready, and the shell holder portion is removable. They managed to stamp the serial number on these guns up higher on the receiver than normal 870's, so the velcro backer allows me to cut out a small oval in the loop side of the velcro that would otherwise cover the serial number with a normal plastic or steel/aluminum sidesaddle. I took out a corner of the fore-end plastic to accommodate the 7 round holder, but it's hardly noticeable.

Still toying with the idea of a mag extension for mine. I'm not crazy about the custom one you're looking at because it has no sling attachment point. I may go with a scattergun technologies mag extension due to their slick integrated sling loop, but the +2 is too long, and a +1 appear so short that it might not buy me 2 extra rounds (as compared to what I've already managed with the stocker). I might just leave it as is, and call it done (but probably not). In the end, I may pimp out my mossy 835 and see if that end result is more to my liking. I certainly prefer the 835's tang safety for a traditional stock gun. Might just have to put a PG style stock on the H&R since the safety would then actually be in the correct location. Not much can be done about the mag release location though, and I hate the way 870's pinch the hell out of you when you reload them. Anyhow, it's still a damn nice $195 gun (plus $25 for the sidesaddle).

>>I may go with a scattergun technologies mag extension......

You might want to consider this:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=363639

I want to make sure there is a way to keep the mag tube cap (or extension) from working loose before I drill the dimples. If you look at the reviews for the Scattergun Tech extension tube on Midway, the one guy says it fits tight and doesn't loosen on his 870. So for one guy it keeps getting loose and another guy says it's no problem.

I don't think I'd go with this one because of the 2 rounder being too long (as you said).

One of the other reviewers took out the dimples by pounding metric sockets into the mag tube to pop them out, very cool idea.

WontHearItComing, did you pick one up?

Edited by Spartacus

Spart..

Waiting on my paycheck today and see where its at +/-. Does anyone have a picture of the 'dimples' that need to be popped out or drilled out???

The dimples are covered by the barrel when the barrel's installed, so you need to take the barrel off to see the dimples. You'll also notice them by removing the mag end cap. Also, I tried the socket deal on the dimples, but drilling them out wound up being smoother and actually much easier to do. I wouldn't recommend the socket thing based on my experience. You'd need the exact correct socket, and if it was as big as the mag tube, I could see having issues with it getting really stuck in the mag. To drill them out, just use a pilot bit, then a bit just slightly larger than the dimples. Use a round file or dremel to remove the burrs on the inside of the mag tube and then hit the area with just a bit of metal paint (tape off the rest of it first). The paint isn't noticeable since the barrel hanger covers up the holes. Paint the inside of the tube's bear metal too to prevent rusting. It's an easy job, maybe a half hour.

I can tell you the scattergun technologies (wilson combat) mag extension is absolutely rugged and far better than the others that I've seen (the custom max100 one I haven't seen though). The other big upside (IMO) of the scattergun mag extension is that it has a sling swivel or sling loop hole available in left, right, or bottom mounts. It's rugged and matches the gun really well, recommended. I considered cutting it down and using epoxy to redo the end cap, but after contacting wilson they are sending one out even before receiving my old one back. That's outstanding service, and the product was so nice I'll give the +1 a look before doing anything myself. I hope the +1 can be worked into a +2, but even if it gives me more room for 3 in 00 buck shells in a 6+1 configuration it's an advantage. As I already mentioned, you can get a "free" +1 out of the existing mag tube by ditching the plastic cap (I did a similar thing on other 870's I've owned). I'm not worried about either the stock cap or a mag extension working loose. Just wrap it with a rag and use a channel loc pliers to tighten it down. There really shouldn't be a need to take the mag apart in the field, as the parts are pretty unlikely to have any issues.

If either of you guys do get an 870 +2 extension. Please post some pics.

I want to see how far they stick out on the Pardners.

The +2 I tried stuck out at least two inches too far. Too far beyond the end for anything close to reasonable.

Thanks for the heads up.

I guess I'll just finally get on ordering the +2 that guy makes for Pardners.

The +2 I tried stuck out at least two inches too far. Too far beyond the end for anything close to reasonable.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a +1 scattergun tech model headed to me in the mail. I suspect I'll actually get +2 out of it (as compared to a fully stock pardner protector). It's $45 as compared to the $65 the other guy is getting and it has multiple sling options. I'd be happy to give you a report on if it's a real +2 if you don't mind waiting until mid next week (probably) so I can get it on the gun. Gotta run though, I'm headed out to kill bambi's parents this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a +1 scattergun tech model headed to me in the mail. I suspect I'll actually get +2 out of it (as compared to a fully stock pardner protector). It's $45 as compared to the $65 the other guy is getting and it has multiple sling options. I'd be happy to give you a report on if it's a real +2 if you don't mind waiting until mid next week (probably) so I can get it on the gun. Gotta run though, I'm headed out to kill bambi's parents this weekend.

I don't mind waiting at all.

Looking forward to hearing about it after you get it.