I don't mind waiting at all.

Looking forward to hearing about it after you get it.

+1

Looking forward to pics Buckster!

TIA

Well the brown truck stopped by an hour ago with my replacement +1 for the too long +2. No joy. There are two problems with this one. First, it's not going to net me +2 (which I half expected), but the other problem with this one is that the sling plate is immovable. It should just move around on the tube in it's track, but it's stuck. This means that I'm not able to actually thread the thing on with the barrel on too. Not good considering the barrel is sort of an important part to have... I think it's maybe possible to loosen a split ring on it and get it to move, but I'm not going to scratch it and be unable to return it. Unless they come up with some sage advice on the phone, it's going back. With all the shipping I already have in on this, sort of a pisser that they sent me an unusable part. Had it worked I'd have kept it since I could have used a number of 3 in shells and still had a 6+1.

So, I may just have to be content with a standard 6+1 that I managed to get out of the stock gun. I'll consider the custom job from max100, but at this point it would be $65 to net me +1 on a $200 gun. Probably not worth it considering the rest of the 870 control layout still hasn't grown on me. I'll instead use the money to customize my mossy 835. I think I'll be happier with that end result. Still like the pardner, but it's proving to be a bit difficult to pimp this one out the way I want on any sort of a budget.

>>There are two problems with this one.

Bummer, I hate when that happens. It's supposed to be a fun time when the brown truck brings new toys!

>>I'll consider the custom job from max100, but at this point it would be $65 to net me +1 on a $200 gun.

That's kind of where I'm at on it too. The idea was to have a super cheap solid pump gun.

I may drill out the dimples and leave it at that too.

Has anybody had a chance to range test after drilling the dimples.... does the cap spin loose?

I don't mind waiting at all.

Looking forward to hearing about it after you get it.

+1

Looking forward to pics Buckster!

TIA

Well the brown truck stopped by an hour ago with my replacement +1 for the too long +2. No joy. There are two problems with this one. First, it's not going to net me +2 (which I half expected), but the other problem with this one is that the sling plate is immovable. It should just move around on the tube in it's track, but it's stuck. This means that I'm not able to actually thread the thing on with the barrel on too. Not good considering the barrel is sort of an important part to have... I think it's maybe possible to loosen a split ring on it and get it to move, but I'm not going to scratch it and be unable to return it. Unless they come up with some sage advice on the phone, it's going back. With all the shipping I already have in on this, sort of a pisser that they sent me an unusable part. Had it worked I'd have kept it since I could have used a number of 3 in shells and still had a 6+1.

So, I may just have to be content with a standard 6+1 that I managed to get out of the stock gun. I'll consider the custom job from max100, but at this point it would be $65 to net me +1 on a $200 gun. Probably not worth it considering the rest of the 870 control layout still hasn't grown on me. I'll instead use the money to customize my mossy 835. I think I'll be happier with that end result. Still like the pardner, but it's proving to be a bit difficult to pimp this one out the way I want on any sort of a budget.

Well at least, thanks for the update and info. You probably saved some people a few bucks. Much appreciated.

I might spring for Max's +2. We'll see. If I do, I'll report back.

Thanks again for the update.

Academy has these for $159.99 right now, trying to figure out a way I can spring for 1.

Hey Boob, I too have a mossy 835, what kinda mods you talking about on it, I have looked for stuff, most of the mossy 500 stock and what not will fit it, but I cant find a barrel less than 24".

Edited by mav

More info...

I called wilson today and they more or less told me that I was free to oil it up and beat the living hell out of it until the swivel part was moving again. I asked them twice if I could return it once I roughed it up (with a plastic mallet and a wood lined vise). They were more than OK with letting me do just about anything (including beating the hell out of it) and then returning it. Their customer service is very down to earth and nice to deal with. So, off into the vise it went and sure enough, it was spinning in a few well placed hits with a plastic mallet.

So, the next thing was to install it and see what it's good for. I now have a 6+1 that can handle 4, 3 inch shells (12 or 15 pellets vs 9 is alot more to toss). Not a 7+1 as I'd hoped, but that was more wishful thinking on my part. I'm happy considering I really like the sling setup, and absolutely will not go without a sling (and I don't like the screw on sling swivels). Pics soon. I also really like the 3 gun gear side saddle. The advantage is that since the serial number on the pardner is higher than on an 870, I can just cut out a bit of the velcro backer and it's all legal. In the end, a nice trunk gun for under $300 bucks (all dressed up for business).

Buck

Academy has these for $159.99 right now, trying to figure out a way I can spring for 1.

That is a smokin' hot deal!

I didn't see it even listed on their site though......

IS it listed on their site someplace, or is that a B&M only deal?

Buckster, as 22 Shooter (err... Boobies) said thanks for the update, and good to hear that you are happy with it now.

That is a smokin' hot deal!

I didn't see it even listed on their site though......

IS it listed on their site someplace, or is that a B&M only deal?

Buckster, as 22 Shooter (err... Boobies) said thanks for the update, and good to hear that you are happy with it now.

here ya go

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=catalog&target=weeklyad&pgNum=1

Hey Boob, I too have a mossy 835, what kinda mods you talking about on it, I have looked for stuff, most of the mossy 500 stock and what not will fit it, but I cant find a barrel less than 24".

$159???? I don't care what you gotta do, but you better snag one up at that price!

As far as the Mossy.........I don't have one. I think you read one of the posts that I quoted.

Thinkin you may have meant buck there... Anyhow, I've heard that you can call mossberg directly and they will produce an 18.5 in smoothbore barrel with a basic bead front sight. The standard 500 mag extensions will work on an 835, as will most of the other parts. My idea with that project would be to do almost exactly the same as I did for the pardner and have low cost guns for the truck and the commuter car. I got my 835 for $90 about 9 years ago when a local store was closing (also got a $45 muzzleloader which has held up nicely too). I'm a constant scrounger. Anyhow, I like the tang safety, and it's been my turkey gun. Somehow, the idea of a mossberg 835 with a rifled deer, xx full choke turkey/duck/goose, and shorty smoothbore really is appealing to me if I could build a case to keep all those barrels from rattling into each other in the trunk. In the southern part of the state I live in, the 835 is sort of the cadillac of slug guns. It's been a couple years since I slug hunted, but one of my relatives keeps inviting me down to hunt on his farm and sometime I'm going to take him up on the offer. Won't be this year. My freezer is full already :smoke:

Anyhow, check directly with mossy for a shorter bbl on your 835.

Buck

• 1 month later...

The gun desk rep at Academy hinted today the the H&R Pardner Protector will be back on sale again before Christmas, my fingers are crossed, maybe I can figure out a way to get one if they do.

The gun desk rep at Academy hinted today the the H&R Pardner Protector will be back on sale again before Christmas, my fingers are crossed, maybe I can figure out a way to get one if they do.

Got any lines on some odd jobs you can pick up? I work full time, but one time when I needed some extra cash, purely for spending money, I worked with my uncle who did repair/maintenance type stuff for apartment complexes. He paid me in cash, and I was more than glad to be the "gopher" (go get this, go get that) for him and his partner, to get some extra dough.

Was at Dick's today for other stuff and wandered past the gun counter.... it's on sale again.

It's $209 instead of $199, but still a decent price.

Looks like Academy is the way to go if they still have it super cheap though.

More info...

So, the next thing was to install it and see what it's good for. I now have a 6+1 that can handle 4, 3 inch shells (12 or 15 pellets vs 9 is alot more to toss). Not a 7+1 as I'd hoped, but that was more wishful thinking on my part. I'm happy considering I really like the sling setup, and absolutely will not go without a sling (and I don't like the screw on sling swivels). Pics soon. I also really like the 3 gun gear side saddle. The advantage is that since the serial number on the pardner is higher than on an 870, I can just cut out a bit of the velcro backer and it's all legal. In the end, a nice trunk gun for under $300 bucks (all dressed up for business).

Buck

Buck,

So you drilled out the dimples, put on the Wilson extension and only got the same capacity out of the Pardner as you'd've gotten if you'd've only drilled out the dimples?

Derek

More info...

Buck

Buck,

So you drilled out the dimples, put on the Wilson extension and only got the same capacity out of the Pardner as you'd've gotten if you'd've only drilled out the dimples?

Derek

Well yes it's a 6+1 same as you could have with the stock gun. But by only drilling out the dimples you're going have to use 2.75 in shells in it (usually with 9, 00 pellets per). With the extension I got the sling setup exactly as I wanted and it can hold 6+1 with the majority of the shells (5 if I remember correctly) being 3 inch shells (with 15, 00 pellets per). Much more payload down range (67% more per round). I always load the last two with slugs anyway as I figure by the time I get that deep in a mag I'm bound to be aiming closely at something. The max 100 setup can probably net you a +2, but I really liked the wilson sling setup.

Buck,

Thank you for the confirmation on your process as I have been toying with the idea of getting a Pardner/982 as a low cost companion to my 870 tactical and I was looking @ the Wilson setup exactly as what you were talking about doing! For capacity I had been looking @ going with the 20" version Moss or Maverick, and losing the parts commonality.

Now the Parnder or the 982? Decisions, decisions!

Derek

Edited by Viesczy

Now the Parnder or the 982? Decisions, decisions!

I think the only difference is the ghost-ring sight on the 982 vs the bead sight on the Pardner.

Check this page out: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/norinco-982-pardner-pump-protector-info-review-6488/ . I didn't read it all, so there may be some other differences. I'm not sure.

• 1 month later...

Got my no-frills Pardner Pump today at Dicks over in Oxford Valley (Bristol PA) today for $199 and $5 PICs.

Also got a box of shells (25 Remington 7shot 1 1/8 Ounce 2 3/4) for $6 as there computer was wrong and was priced at $9 on the shelf. Total was $222 with sales tax and the PICS.. 027.gif

This is the 28" ribbed with removable choke tube and WOOD. Now I can go hunt and have my first shotgun.

VERY nice finish and has tapped holes on top of receiver for scope option...

post-8775-12660979704662_thumb.jpg

Took out the plug for now as hunting season for 4 legged animals is over.. 021.gif

Next is my AK74 5.45x39 Saiga..... Love my tax check... Paid OFF my car also.. 027.gif

I picked up the protector model about 2 years ago, shoots well, not as slick an action as my 870 wingmaster, but heck i got the thing for $135 OTD (so it is a bit of a tinkering shotgun). It only has the front bead sight and while fine for close range, i wanted something better. I just put an ATI heat shield with ghost ring sign on it last week, not convinced this will be a super accurate set up but felt it was worth the try. may throw some OD green gray, paint on for a cheap camo pattern. For deer i'll likely scope it with a low cost 2x.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked up the protector model about 2 years ago, shoots well, not as slick an action as my 870 wingmaster, but heck i got the thing for $135 OTD (so it is a bit of a tinkering shotgun). It only has the front bead sight and while fine for close range, i wanted something better. I just put an ATI heat shield with ghost ring sign on it last week, not convinced this will be a super accurate set up but felt it was worth the try. may throw some OD green gray, paint on for a cheap camo pattern. For deer i'll likely scope it with a low cost 2x.

I'm looking to spring for the Protector model Dick's has for $180 this week. As if I need much of an excuse at this price, but I know that out of the box it has a cylinder bore choke, any chance it's threaded to accept screw-in chokes in case I decide to use it for something other than some fun at the range or home defense? (nothing too serious, maybe for squirrels/rabbits eventually, so a farther effective range, as for birding, wouldn't really be too much of an issue)

I'm looking to spring for the Protector model Dick's has for $180 this week. As if I need much of an excuse at this price, but I know that out of the box it has a cylinder bore choke, any chance it's threaded to accept screw-in chokes in case I decide to use it for something other than some fun at the range or home defense? (nothing too serious, maybe for squirrels/rabbits eventually, so a farther effective range, as for birding, wouldn't really be too much of an issue)

The Pardner Protector model doesn't have threads for screw-in chokes. It's streamlined for HD purposes.

I was hoping it was threaded, too. But for the price, I couldn't complain.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just saw the ad for tomorrow's sales at Dick's Sporting Goods. They have the Pardner listed for like $175ish. That's a pretty good deal. 'Bout $25 off the normal price. Just figured I'd give a heads up.

I left mine with my dad up in NY before I moved. I'm thinking about picking up another.