Saw a wierd Scope mount today

It was on an unmarked AK a guy just bought. Was a side mount, but at the rear of the mount was a large thumb screw at around a 30 degree angle. Just in front was two set screws, one up and one down. Beneath that area was what looked like another screw for adjusting tension against the receiver. This seemed to be loose, but the up and down set screws were basterdized that we couldn't get 'em loose to check. Looked like the thing hinged at the front of the mount. I never saw one of these. Anyone else?

The Chinese made two versions one for the SKS and the other for the AK. Both are based on the Russian PU scope mount for the WW II sniper versions of the M-91 Mosin Nagant rifle. The SKS vesion doesn't have the ears that hang down with the screw holes for mounting like the AK version. The SKS version has screw holes in the part mounted on the receiver of the rifle where the slot is on the AK version. In the pic is the AK version mounted on a AK rifle. As you can see the ears are needed to due the way the internal parts are mounted in the receiver of a AK vs. the SKS rifle. Notice the large screw and two small screws in front of thumb screw that holds the scope braket on the mount. These screws allow for vertical and horizontal adjustment of the rear of the scope bracket to allow for any errors when the holes for the mounting screws were drilled. Also it makes it easy to align US scopes with the bore as they have less internal recticule adjustment than Russian/European scopes.

scopemount25cm.jpg

Edited by J A
  • 3 weeks later...

These were "Red Star" brand chinese made items.

They are very much a modified Mosin-Nagant rifle PU scope mount. Of coure it it made to fit (sorta) a AK & use 1" rings (the PU scope is of larger diameter).

Further, the PU mount was all steel -these are steel lowers (that tap on the weapon) with aluminum uppers.

I used a Russian PU mount & scope that I modified on a SKS for grins. Worked well. I note that they now have a Mosin-Nagant aftermarket mount of this type that sports a picatinny rail...neat!

Lollygagger :unsure: (I need that rail -just the rail.)

Edit: Mosin-Nagant PU mount & scope on SKS...

26095sks_pu_3.jpg

Edited by lollygagger

Are you looking for something like this

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...ARY+SCOPE+MOUNT

I think this is the maker of the mount, call them and see if you can get just the rail.

SMITH ENTERPRISE, INC.

1701 West 10th Street, Suite 14

Tempe, Arizona 85281

Phone: (480) 964-1818 FAX (480) 921-9987

MON - FRI 9:00am TO 4:00pm MST

Email: smithent@qwest.net

Edited by vjor