problems- please help

Hi. Brand new Saiga owner. (.308, 16") I shot it for the first time yesterday and everything went fine the first 15 to 20 rounds. Then at each shot the top sheetmetal cover that goes over the action would fly off. (this happened about 8 times and I then cave up.) It was securly on there each time and the button thingy that you press to disasemble was perfectly engaged. I don't see any wear marks or places that the topcover is getting wacked at. Right now at home I can cycle the action as hard as possible and pull on the top cover but it stays put . This is my first and only AK type of weapon so I'm not sure what is going on. Thanks for any help you can give.

Welcome to the board!

It sounds like you're assembling the dust cover to the rifle correctly... ;)

But, if you make sure the front edge of the dust cover is inserted into the grove just below the rear site and the release button is extended all the way out thru the corresponding square hole at the rear of the dust cover then it should stay secure. :smoke:

Does the release button feel 'weak', or was the dust cover loose the first time you held the rifle? Does the bolt handle look like it hits the dust cover during cycling?

Can you post a pic of how it looks when you have it assembled?

I've owned a buch of AK's (Saiga, Romanian, Chinese, Bulgarian) and I can't say that I've seen one do what you're describing. Of course, somebody else may have. :smoke:

Edited by AK-treO8

This topic was mentioned before here... its because the recoil is causing the spring to slide forwards just enough to pop the cover off... I forget what they did to fix it, but it was something along the lines of adding a set screw threaded into the tab... it made dissassembly a little more difficult... but it WORKED...

:smoke:

Thanks Indyarms, I was thinking along the same lines because the spring and button goes forward somewhat easily by hand. That set screw is a good idea and I'm sure I can rig something up.

Thanks for the reply AK-tre08. I can't pist pics but its in the grove your talking about. I'm preaty sure the problem is what Indyarms described.

Since I already have some peoples attention, I bought the rifle to basicaly be a cheap beater and wanted to try to make it into a rifle endurance test. Basicaly I striped it down and cleaned it completely before even firing it. I want to just shoot it from here on out without any matainance and see how things work out. (I hope I'm not offending any Saiga lovers out there.) My only other rifle for the last three years has been a transferable M16 and I baby/take care of it obviously. I like the idea of economical assault type weapons. Any tips or advice you guys can give me? Do you think it will last the same as a 7.62X39 AK? (I'm getting one of those next) Any advice/comments except "your a disgrace to AK owners" will be greatly appreciated. What is a good AK to get down the road? Thanks again.

Cool. I figured somebody would have heard of tooguns problem.

I own a nice Colt "16 A4, somehow it it get's left at home more than the Saiga's.

Don't be afraid to shoot the Saiga all you want, baby it or not it should always be a dependable, reliable rifle. Current issue aside of course. :D

Edited by AK-treO8

go with a saiga 7.62X39 instead of an AK.... convert it to a PG setup, you will be MUCH more pleased with its FIT AND FINISH than a standard romanian AK, or a US variant....

Its just BETTER MADE....

and will do anything a standard AK will...

Check out the April '05 GUNS magazine on the Krebs saiga conversion, I think you will be PLEASED with the result and you can do that by yourself. EASY...

:smoke:

ah... no offense taken, I geuss. ; )

Anyway, I wanted to comment on the next AK you plan to get. I think the one type I've seen that had the absolute, hands-down, best fit/finish I've ever seen was an Arsenal 223 AK, pre-ban configuration. I've never shot one of their rifles, but as I've heard it they are pretty accurate for an AK. I'm not sure if it's true, but I was told they are using Steyr made barrels.... hammer forged and chrome lined of course. I'm a sucker for hammer forged barrels. The trigger was good. The stock length was right. The rear sight was adjustable for windage (RPK type) and the standard slide adjustment for elevation of course. The price tag is a bit of a shocker, but if you're looking for top of the line, that's where I'd put my money.

The arsenal forged reciever AK's are sweet and accurate shooters and they do use steyr technology to hammer forge the chrome lined barrels. I have'nt been able to take my saiga to the range yet, but my experiance wwith other ak's is that the forged reciever models are generally more accurate than the stamped ones. My norinco forged model will shoot consistantly under 3" at 100 yards sitting or kneeling with the irons. With my aging eyes those irons are diffucult, so I'm very happy with that. Never shot it from the bench, but we did shoot a polytech "national match" with the long heavy barrel and 2 of us could not keep the thing on a 2' square target at 100 yards. It had a stamped reciever, and I shoot sub 1/2" groups on a reguler basis with my bolt rifle so it wasn't just that I'm that bad a shot. I just haven't seen the standard stamped reciever models show the same type of accuracy as the forged guns. When the russians first went to the stamped recievers, they had to redesign the fullauto firecontrol group, because of excess resonance in those guns. Now the saiga and vepr with the heavier recievers and three lug bolts are supposed to be a different story, and I have heard many stories of their accuracy potential.

toogun - You most likely can get away with shooting any SAIGA or AK without cleaning for a long time HOWEVER if your S-.308 has the one piece firingpin like mine, A DIRTY FIRINGPIN AND CHANNEL CAN CAUSE SLAMFIRES. It's most likely that they would have to be VERY dirty, but there is no excuse for taking chances.

G O B

Hi.  Brand new Saiga owner. (.308, 16")  I shot it for the first time yesterday and everything went fine the first 15 to 20 rounds.  Then at each shot the top sheetmetal cover that goes over the action would fly off.  (this happened about 8 times and I then cave up.)  It was securly on there each time and the button thingy that you press to disasemble was perfectly engaged.  I don't see any wear marks or places that the topcover is getting wacked at.  Right now at home I can cycle the action as hard as possible and pull on the top cover but it stays put .  This is my first and only AK type of weapon so I'm not sure what is going on.  Thanks for any help you can give.

You might try putting in a blackjack recoil buffer. It will keep the bolt carrier from slamming all the way back and might keep the top cover latch from moving. ??

Cheep fix...

I'd like to thank everyone for the help. Indyarms, I think what you said was the problem. I drilled a hole in the takedown button and put a cotter pin in it. It takes longer to dissasemble but held up under 100 rounds yesterday. Not a single problem. The guy I shot with is also now planning to get one. Kswordfish50, I with I would have heard or thought of the buffer thing before I drilled it but at least it now works. After shooting the Saiga 308 I'm defenetly getting a regular AK in the near future. It's pretty bad when we had more fun with a $300 Saiga than a $14,000 full auto M4. I guess I'm now officialy an AK junky. Aaron