Bullet guide or adaptor

Been kicking this around for awhile and can't make up my mind. Pros and Cons on both sides! The bullet guide is relatively inexpensive and you can buy mags anytime. I really like the look of the galil mags. The price is what makes me second guess the AR adaptor, but mags are dirt cheap. Looking for someone to sway my decision.

I know there are others about this same topic. I'm just venting

Depends on how many mags you'd like to have IMO.

Quality AR mags can be bought for $15. AK style Bulgarians for $30.

So if you want at least 10 mags, I'd go the adapter route.

Galil Orlites are becoming hard to find since all those Galil sporters came into the country.

I just installed the MSA adapter. It works great.

I've also installed bullet guides. They work great too and are much less expensive and require a lot less modification to the rifle.

The main reason I went with the adapter however was because I have an AR and lots of mags for it. It just seemed to make sense to reduce my mag budget and use the same mags for both.

The adapter is no where near as easy to install as a bullet guide. It's really best left to a gunsmith or done by someone with access to a mill. You can do it with a dremel, but it would take a long time and the chance of messing it up is pretty high. Even after you've milled your rifle you'll still probably need to trim the adapter a bit for a perfect fit.

As far as price goes, buying a dozen AR mags instead of a dozen .223 AK mags will easily make up for the cost of the adapter.

Edited by dftc

Ok,I have a buttload of M16 mags and ammo and my wife coopted my M4 but I also have a few 223 Galil mags.Can I run an adapter and a bullet guide simultaneously?Will Galil mags still work after cutting the mag well for M16 mags?

+1 on the AR mag adapter

I once thought the AR Mag Adapter was a little pricey but soon decided it was the best way to go. Now if I get an AR I will have the mags for it also. Went to a gun shop grand opening a couple of weeks ago and picked up 10 AR mags for $89.90. With the Mag Adapter at 10% off over the 4th at $143.... that comes to about $233. Ten surefire mags would have cost about $400. All of course plus shipping and taxes. Think I made out on my first purchase of mags and an adapter......

Edited by Lakedweller

I don't know the Galil orlites just look better in the gun. IMO. I do not have access to a mill so the adapter would be done by dremel and I figured it would take along time. I'm also not looking to have 100 AR mags in my closet taking up space (If I had the adapter this is what would happen), just alot of ammo and 6-12 galil's/bulgarian waffles would work for me. I'm leaning to the BG. I can always do the adapter later, maybe it will get cheaper and only time will tell how it works out, it is still in it's infancy.

See what I mean "this shit's been going through my head for the last 2 weeks"

I have the Saiga .223 with the standard 10 round factory, 1 Sure Fire (30rd) and 1 Pro Mag (30rd). I personally think the Pro Mag is not beefed up enough in the bullet guide area. My thought was to put in a bullet guide just for that reason.

I have the Sure Fire in 30 round, and the Pro Mag as a back up to the Sure Fire and also, of course that 10 round factory.

I believe one more Sure Fire in 30 would be sufficient for me. Should SHTF, and there was a war in this country, the mags can be reloaded rather quickly. Consider if I am any good, and survive a close encounter of the worst kind, there will be other weapons to "collect" in the field from those that do not need them any longer. The Native Indians were quite resourceful at gathering up all the rifles, and pistols left behind by dead soldiers, as they could be used for another day. Same here. Leave no useful tool behind. 60+ should garner me enough free "tools" that I really don't need to have 10-20 magazines just lying around. I mean, you are supposed to be good shots aren't you? I hunted since I was 8 (1961) back in Nebraska on the farm. Most of the time with a single shot .22 and later with a 30-30. I'm a lot older now, but I can still drop Bambi at over 100 yards with a .22 rim-fire. The .223 with a 30 round magazine is just extra gravy.

You will be served well by either route. It depends mostly on how you want your rifle to look -- classic or more modern. If you've got an AK conversion with AK handgaurds you want the guide and AK mag setup. If you've kept your factory Saiga HG or kept the full length of HG out to the gasblock the AR adapter completes the look really well. In terms of ergos, it makes for an outstanding rifle along the lines of what Armalites AR180B should be w/o any of the drawbacks. A select fire Saiga w/ one of MSA's adapter, maybe the more permanent type, and a LRBHO would be a damn fine combat rifle. In my opinion there'd be nothing more reliable. Any lefties out there should know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

MSA should build a rifle around their adapter and submit it for military trials. B)

...Can I run an adapter and a [Galil] bullet guide simultaneously?

I would guess, NO. I can't even insert my factory Saiga mag with my "bullet guide" in place. Other experienced input requested here, quite obviously...

...Will Galil mags still work after cutting the mag well for M16 mags?

I would guess, YES, if you install a "bullet guide" for the Galil mags. Experienced input once again requested here, even more obviously (I've never cut my .223's mag well for an adapter)...

Bob, The adapter can be modified to lock up under the feed ramp so yes it will work.............. And Galil mags do work after the trunnion mod..... in fact they (Galil mags) don't need modification like shaving the sides like they once did.

• 2 weeks later...
Bob, The adapter can be modified to lock up under the feed ramp so yes it will work.............. And Galil mags do work after the trunnion mod..... in fact they (Galil mags) don't need modification like shaving the sides like they once did.

So will these Gali Mags work in our Saiga .223's?

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/...1461980a2e9da04

1%20MAG%20GALIL%20223%20VG%2035RD%20(4-660).jpg