Photo
- - - - -

Steel ball bearing load in a 12 gauge...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 -Indy-

-Indy-

Weapons GURU

• Super Moderator
  • 10,113 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

SO to all you 12 gauge reloading guys out there...

Lets say I want to buy a package of ball bearings the kind they sell for slingshot ammo... and load up some "buckshot" loads for the 12 gauge...

First of all... I would probably want to use STEEL SHOT load data, for starters, dont ya think?

I would also want to weigh out the pellets to find the perfect number for the perfect shot weight... ( 1 3/8th oz, 1 1/2 oz, 1 5/8th oz, etc...)

With that all in mind... would I want to use buffer? would I just treat this as a "steel shot" round and go with it?!?

I would think buffer would be a plus to keep the balls in place, if they were to be arranged geometrically in the shell... but then again, if theres the correct amount, the crimp should hold them snug...

Anyways... I am just thinking about it, and would like some input as to whether you would, you wouldn't, or HOLY FUCK! you moron!! NO freakin WAY should you do that?!?!?

Oh... The point??? No real point... other than to say " these are such and such a load... " Maybe shoot them at targets for effect... I am NOT planning them for hunting or HD loads...

Thanks!

:smoke:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
~ Thomas Jefferson

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it, hath it not.
Jeremy Taylor
English prelate (1613 - 1667)

"The AG has determined that you're a potential terrorist, because only potential terrorists are interested in buying guns."

#2 Glockmonger

Glockmonger

Glockmonger

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

I have done it. I used a standard wad. I used a friends loader (I don't have one yet). He set the powder measure the same way he did for 1.8oz shoot at 1300fps. I used his scale to get almost 1.25oz of steel (one more is over, one less was boring).
It was cool to see at night...SPARKIES
Right now I am working on a one solid steel ball (from a CV axle) round. The first one was boring.

I really need to get a reloader, scale and, and, and , and
I guess the old adage an armed society is a polite society does not apply to the internet.
It turns worms into rambo, nice guys into assholes and tough guys into whiny titty babies.

#3 Reveprend Franz

Reveprend Franz

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

shotshells are very forgiving, i would just try and load them up, and if it looks like just a crimp will do it, then you have it. Id love to get a shotshell loading press, theres tons of fun things that seem to fit just about perfectly in those hulls.

This thread is like watching Jerry Springer, but with shotguns.

"Could it all be a bad dream, or a nightmare? Is it my imagination, or have we lost our minds? It's surreal; it's just not believable. A grand absurdity; a great deception, a delusion of momentous proportions; based on preposterous notions; and on ideas whose time should never have come; simplicity grossly distorted and complicated; insanity passed off as logic; grandiose schemes built on falsehoods with the morality of Ponzi and Madoff; evil described as virtue; ignorance pawned off as wisdom; destruction and impoverishment in the name of humanitarianism; violence, the tool of change; preventive wars used as the road to peace; tolerance delivered by government guns; reactionary views in the guise of progress; an empire replacing the Republic; slavery sold as liberty;"

~Libertas Quae Sera Tamen~
http://cottonrevolt.blogspot.com/
Freedom Has a New Flag

#4 akastormi

akastormi

Eccentric Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

I can tell you, 12 dimes will fit nice. Short range ammo, but devastating results, almost scary.
Posted Image Posted Image

I know I did it, but I'm still blaming you.
Nailbomb > " When the SHTF, I got just enough ammo to make it to Stormi's house."

#5 Glockmonger

Glockmonger

Glockmonger

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:50 PM

I can tell you, 12 dimes will fit nice. Short range ammo, but devastating results, almost scary.

VERY SHORT RANGE. Dimes are sloppy and light for their size, They have a serious lack of penatration. They sound cool in flight though.
I guess the old adage an armed society is a polite society does not apply to the internet.
It turns worms into rambo, nice guys into assholes and tough guys into whiny titty babies.

#6 turbo1889

turbo1889

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

Big steel balls have three major problems -- Barrel Damage, Explosive Pressure Spiking do to Shot “Bridging” and Ricochet Safety Issues. First two are some-what easily solved, you just find big enough balls that that you stack in layers of one (1) inside either a thick steel shot wad or alternately a home-made brown paper coil wad or combination of the two. For 410 gauge that’s easy 5/16 sling shot ammo is perfect inside a regular wad with a thin coil of brown paper inside it. For larger gauges those really big steel balls get harder and harder to find. Still have the third problem though – unless your shooting at a soft fleshy target (game animal) they tend to ricochet rather then penetrate. Shoot them at anything harder than a soft-wood tree and they will come back at you with enough energy left to kill you.

A load of 5@5/16 steel balls out of a 410 sure works wonders on ducks though, scared my buddies real good when my little old 410 blew them out of the sky better than there big 3-1/2” mag. 12ga. factory steel shot loads did. Granted it’s a real tight pattern and you have to aim like you were trying to shoot them out of the sky with a slug load using the red-dot scope. Apparently they now consider me like a “mad scientist” reloader guy capable of making home-grown ammo concoctions far beyond what is possible with factory loads.

I know a little bragging on my part but I earned the right to that one. :smoke:
What part of, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be INFRINGED" don't you understand ?!?!?

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.

#7 Reveprend Franz

Reveprend Franz

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:04 AM

Wouldn't shot bridging be solved by any shot cup?

This thread is like watching Jerry Springer, but with shotguns.

"Could it all be a bad dream, or a nightmare? Is it my imagination, or have we lost our minds? It's surreal; it's just not believable. A grand absurdity; a great deception, a delusion of momentous proportions; based on preposterous notions; and on ideas whose time should never have come; simplicity grossly distorted and complicated; insanity passed off as logic; grandiose schemes built on falsehoods with the morality of Ponzi and Madoff; evil described as virtue; ignorance pawned off as wisdom; destruction and impoverishment in the name of humanitarianism; violence, the tool of change; preventive wars used as the road to peace; tolerance delivered by government guns; reactionary views in the guise of progress; an empire replacing the Republic; slavery sold as liberty;"

~Libertas Quae Sera Tamen~
http://cottonrevolt.blogspot.com/
Freedom Has a New Flag

#8 Twinsen

Twinsen

Swamp Yankee

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:35 AM

Steel = ricochet.
Large and uniform steel = powerful, efficient ricochet.
I might end up being around a lot more.

#9 JK-47

JK-47

mmmm....Beer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

I'd agree it's fun to try and cook up new loadings, but steel is not an ideal projectile material. Steel shot only exists to keep lead out of wetlands.
Make yourself an asset, not just an ass.

#10 vbrtrmn

vbrtrmn

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

Per dimes, check this one...
The Box O' Truth #35 - A Load of Dimes Vs. The Box O' Truth
http://www.theboxotr.../docs/bot35.htm

I think flechettes would be fun to experiment with, you can buy them by the pound on eBay for less than 20 bucks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...p3286.m20.l1116

#11 aresv

aresv

ubi dubium ibi libertas

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

Sounds like a good load for giant mutant geese.

But seriously, buckshot works best with lead balls. Steel is a poor substitute.
To be rational is to look the universe in the face and not flinch.

#12 Ben Vampatella

Ben Vampatella

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,718 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

dude watch it with ricochets on those things. this aint your BB gun and rocks or walls.

you should load up some flechette loads for turkey season.....tomtom goes a gobblin behind the bush and wont come back out? (and you SAW it was a turkey and not another hunter) BLAM!!! I cant have those type of rounds down here in the south. they are too harmful and dangerous for us slaves to the system. Its too bad, Id like to dump a mag full of them into the woods, and see how clean a hole and how deep I can cut it in the woods/weeds down here
Rockin the Saiga world since 2003

#13 csspecs

csspecs

Top Member

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

dude watch it with ricochets on those things. this aint your BB gun and rocks or walls.

you should load up some flechette loads for turkey season.....tomtom goes a gobblin behind the bush and wont come back out? (and you SAW it was a turkey and not another hunter) BLAM!!! I cant have those type of rounds down here in the south. they are too harmful and dangerous for us slaves to the system. Its too bad, Id like to dump a mag full of them into the woods, and see how clean a hole and how deep I can cut it in the woods/weeds down here

Not something I'd make.. But when was the last time someone opened up your reloads?

http://stores.csspecs.com/
For metal Saiga-12, Saiga .308 and Vepr .308 magazines.

http://www.facebook.com/csspecs

#14 Glockmonger

Glockmonger

Glockmonger

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

I found that flechettes suck worse then dimes, and that was at an even closer distance.

#15 Ben Vampatella

Ben Vampatella

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,718 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

they arent much good for point-blank or long range use, ill admit that...they do zip right on through brush like it aint there though....
Rockin the Saiga world since 2003

#16 Glockmonger

Glockmonger

Glockmonger

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

I would like to see a buck & ball load that is worth a shit. Like a 3/4 or 7/8 oz foster over some buck like 00 or 000, but would be happy with 0 or 4 in there too.

#17 THE_HUNTER

THE_HUNTER

Citizen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

When I was younger I opened up a magnum 3" 12 gauge load and added ball bearings. Cleaning the barrel after I shot it I indeed did damage to the forcing cone, sending 3 valleys through it but thankfully not ruining it all together. Not worth it.

#18 -Indy-

-Indy-

Weapons GURU

• Super Moderator
  • 10,113 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:21 PM

Cleaning the barrel after I shot it I indeed did damage to the forcing cone, sending 3 valleys through it but thankfully not ruining it all together. Not worth it.

That's pretty much one of the MAIN things I was wondering... and thats good to know... NO ball bearings for me, then... :up:

Thanks!!

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
~ Thomas Jefferson

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it, hath it not.
Jeremy Taylor

"The AG has determined that you're a potential terrorist, because only potential terrorists are interested in buying guns."

#19 Twinsen

Twinsen

Swamp Yankee

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

Yeah bud, you're not going to find something better for shooting until they invent something heavier and cheaper than lead.
I might end up being around a lot more.

#20 -Indy-

-Indy-

Weapons GURU

• Super Moderator
  • 10,113 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

Its not a matter of "better" but more of the fact I can buy the slingshot ammo ANYWHERE... and it might make for "interesting" loads if it was worth shooting... not that it would be the "next level" of shotgun ammo...

~ Thomas Jefferson

Jeremy Taylor

#21 doubledown

doubledown

• 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

I would like to see a buck & ball load that is worth a shit. Like a 3/4 or 7/8 oz foster over some buck like 00 or 000, but would be happy with 0 or 4 in there too.

Glockmonger are you familiar with theses guys, they make some nasty stuff. http://www.dixieslug...m/products.html

#22 lvjeffro

lvjeffro

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

I sure hope the gubment doesn't see the box o truth or he might get arrested for destruction of gubment property... Because there is nothing more pressing in todays issues than arresting and convicting someone of ruining some dimes...
My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack.
- Marshall Ferdinand Foch (1851-1929), supreme commander of allied forces in 1918.

#23 Azrial

Azrial

A Riddle, Wrapped in a Mystery, Inside an Enigma

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

I think that it would be hard to really get much of an armor piercing effect with shot, maybe slugs. However, I have an idea for a shell loaded with Lithium pellets that might be interesting.

It would be like a tracer, except it would light up after it hit and let you track your target... :huh:

Edited by Azrial, 30 August 2009 - 11:00 PM.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - I stand with Arizona!

Proud Member of the Top 10 9 posters of all time!

IMPORTANT: READ CAREFULLY – Azrial's comments are provided solely to reform, chastise, or replace existing opinions. Inasmuch, Azrial holds no title to said Azrial comments IF Azrial comments are used only for non-profitable thought enhancement. Any other use of Azrial comments are strictly forbidden without the expressed written permission of Azrial. In so obtaining said permission you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth in binding contract. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, you may not copy, repeat, modify, think, or in any way use Azrial comments. Once contracted, unless you acquired the Azrial comments on external media, you may make a single copy of the Azrial comments solely for archival purposes or rethinking of the Azrial comments in the same context that the Azrial comments were previously expressed. Azrial retains all right, title, and interest in and to the Azrial comments. All rights not granted are reserved by Azrial. THE LIMITED WARRANTY (IF ANY) INCLUDED IN THE APPLICABLE AZRIAL COMMENTS APPLIES TO THE AZRIAL COMMENTS PROVIDED THE AZRIAL COMMENTS HAVE BEEN LICENSED BY YOU WITHIN THE TERM OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY OF THE APPLICABLE AZRIAL COMMENTS IF APPLICABLE.

#24 dngrspot

dngrspot

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

It would be interesting to see something like a Kinetic Energy round scaled down to fit a 12ga 3in shell, and make the projectile out of say... Tungsten.

Design could be similar to this:
Posted Image

An would work on this concept:
Posted Image

Not sure about the legality of it (and I would not try it if it was illegal), but heck, it would be cool.
Lord, make me fast and accurate let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes, and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let NOT my last thought be, if I only had a gun, and lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

#25 usamark

usamark

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

Seven 69 grn 5.56 projo's fit neatly into a 12 Ga hull. Makes a 1 1/8 oz load....just say'in.
  • Reveprend Franz likes this

#26 7.62smith

7.62smith

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

"Seven 69 grn 5.56 projo's fit neatly into a 12 Ga hull. Makes a 1 1/8 oz load....just say'in."

I have heard stories of the government making shells that contained stacks of rifle rounds like this.

#27 Otto Kelly

Otto Kelly

• 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

SO to all you 12 gauge reloading guys out there...

Lets say I want to buy a package of ball bearings the kind they sell for slingshot ammo... and load up some "buckshot" loads for the 12 gauge...

First of all... I would probably want to use STEEL SHOT load data, for starters, dont ya think?

I would also want to weigh out the pellets to find the perfect number for the perfect shot weight... ( 1 3/8th oz, 1 1/2 oz, 1 5/8th oz, etc...)

With that all in mind... would I want to use buffer? would I just treat this as a "steel shot" round and go with it?!?

I would think buffer would be a plus to keep the balls in place, if they were to be arranged geometrically in the shell... but then again, if theres the correct amount, the crimp should hold them snug...

Anyways... I am just thinking about it, and would like some input as to whether you would, you wouldn't, or HOLY FUCK! you moron!! NO freakin WAY should you do that?!?!?

Oh... The point??? No real point... other than to say " these are such and such a load... " Maybe shoot them at targets for effect... I am NOT planning them for hunting or HD loads...

Thanks!

Well, golly gee,

I dun it n definatly do not reccomend it.

Had this, clever thought, Penetration.

Went to a beaaring shop n selected thru the loose balls.

Found the purfect size, laid them into WW AA wad n case, jus, sooo nice.

Layered um on up ta jis leaving a crimp space.

Bought a bag fulla bearings n headed home ta, load um up.

Finished, they were soo wunderful.

Went out ta shoot these pups. Patterned great, good range, boy, waz I smert.

Went ta clean da Ithica 37 and, Oops. Ugh Oh !!!

The firing chamber, wuz all dented from steel balls.

Bought another barrel n forgot steel shot.

Had similar experience with flachettes n they scratch up the whole barrel length.

Never found a wadcup they would not tear thru or a base wad they would not blow thru the side.

Leads good stuuff.

Anyone need about a foot sqaure boxa flachettes ?

ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users