Steel ball bearing load in a 12 gauge...

SO to all you 12 gauge reloading guys out there...

Lets say I want to buy a package of ball bearings the kind they sell for slingshot ammo... and load up some "buckshot" loads for the 12 gauge...

First of all... I would probably want to use STEEL SHOT load data, for starters, dont ya think?

I would also want to weigh out the pellets to find the perfect number for the perfect shot weight... ( 1 3/8th oz, 1 1/2 oz, 1 5/8th oz, etc...)

With that all in mind... would I want to use buffer? would I just treat this as a "steel shot" round and go with it?!?

I would think buffer would be a plus to keep the balls in place, if they were to be arranged geometrically in the shell... but then again, if theres the correct amount, the crimp should hold them snug...

Anyways... I am just thinking about it, and would like some input as to whether you would, you wouldn't, or HOLY FUCK! you moron!! NO freakin WAY should you do that?!?!?

Oh... The point??? No real point... other than to say " these are such and such a load... " Maybe shoot them at targets for effect... I am NOT planning them for hunting or HD loads...

Thanks!

:smoke:

I have done it. I used a standard wad. I used a friends loader (I don't have one yet). He set the powder measure the same way he did for 1.8oz shoot at 1300fps. I used his scale to get almost 1.25oz of steel (one more is over, one less was boring).

It was cool to see at night...SPARKIES

Right now I am working on a one solid steel ball (from a CV axle) round. The first one was boring.

I really need to get a reloader, scale and, and, and , and

shotshells are very forgiving, i would just try and load them up, and if it looks like just a crimp will do it, then you have it. Id love to get a shotshell loading press, theres tons of fun things that seem to fit just about perfectly in those hulls.

dude watch it with ricochets on those things. this aint your BB gun and rocks or walls.

you should load up some flechette loads for turkey season.....tomtom goes a gobblin behind the bush and wont come back out? (and you SAW it was a turkey and not another hunter) BLAM!!! I cant have those type of rounds down here in the south. they are too harmful and dangerous for us slaves to the system. Its too bad, Id like to dump a mag full of them into the woods, and see how clean a hole and how deep I can cut it in the woods/weeds down here

dude watch it with ricochets on those things. this aint your BB gun and rocks or walls.

you should load up some flechette loads for turkey season.....tomtom goes a gobblin behind the bush and wont come back out? (and you SAW it was a turkey and not another hunter) BLAM!!! I cant have those type of rounds down here in the south. they are too harmful and dangerous for us slaves to the system. Its too bad, Id like to dump a mag full of them into the woods, and see how clean a hole and how deep I can cut it in the woods/weeds down here

Not something I'd make.. But when was the last time someone opened up your reloads?

Cleaning the barrel after I shot it I indeed did damage to the forcing cone, sending 3 valleys through it but thankfully not ruining it all together. Not worth it.

That's pretty much one of the MAIN things I was wondering... and thats good to know... NO ball bearings for me, then... :up:

Thanks!!

Its not a matter of "better" but more of the fact I can buy the slingshot ammo ANYWHERE... and it might make for "interesting" loads if it was worth shooting... not that it would be the "next level" of shotgun ammo...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sure hope the gubment doesn't see the box o truth or he might get arrested for destruction of gubment property... Because there is nothing more pressing in todays issues than arresting and convicting someone of ruining some dimes...

I think that it would be hard to really get much of an armor piercing effect with shot, maybe slugs. However, I have an idea for a shell loaded with Lithium pellets that might be interesting.

It would be like a tracer, except it would light up after it hit and let you track your target... :huh:

Edited by Azrial

It would be interesting to see something like a Kinetic Energy round scaled down to fit a 12ga 3in shell, and make the projectile out of say... Tungsten.

Design could be similar to this:

600pxobus501556fh000022.th.jpg

An would work on this concept:

sabotseparating.th.gif

Not sure about the legality of it (and I would not try it if it was illegal), but heck, it would be cool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

SO to all you 12 gauge reloading guys out there...

Lets say I want to buy a package of ball bearings the kind they sell for slingshot ammo... and load up some "buckshot" loads for the 12 gauge...

First of all... I would probably want to use STEEL SHOT load data, for starters, dont ya think?

I would also want to weigh out the pellets to find the perfect number for the perfect shot weight... ( 1 3/8th oz, 1 1/2 oz, 1 5/8th oz, etc...)

With that all in mind... would I want to use buffer? would I just treat this as a "steel shot" round and go with it?!?

I would think buffer would be a plus to keep the balls in place, if they were to be arranged geometrically in the shell... but then again, if theres the correct amount, the crimp should hold them snug...

Anyways... I am just thinking about it, and would like some input as to whether you would, you wouldn't, or HOLY FUCK! you moron!! NO freakin WAY should you do that?!?!?

Oh... The point??? No real point... other than to say " these are such and such a load... " Maybe shoot them at targets for effect... I am NOT planning them for hunting or HD loads...

Thanks!

Well, golly gee,

I dun it n definatly do not reccomend it.

Had this, clever thought, Penetration.

Went to a beaaring shop n selected thru the loose balls.

Found the purfect size, laid them into WW AA wad n case, jus, sooo nice.

Layered um on up ta jis leaving a crimp space.

Bought a bag fulla bearings n headed home ta, load um up.

Finished, they were soo wunderful.

Went out ta shoot these pups. Patterned great, good range, boy, waz I smert.

Went ta clean da Ithica 37 and, Oops. Ugh Oh !!!

The firing chamber, wuz all dented from steel balls.

Bought another barrel n forgot steel shot.

Had similar experience with flachettes n they scratch up the whole barrel length.

Never found a wadcup they would not tear thru or a base wad they would not blow thru the side.

Leads good stuuff.

Anyone need about a foot sqaure boxa flachettes ?

ok