Saiga newbie with a delema (sort of)

Hi all ,I'm looking forward to many hours hanging out and reading on this board,I just got my first Saiga rifle,It's a used one and had one of those UGLY ASS tapco pistol grip butstock "conversion" things on it(what are people thinking?) luckily it also came with the factory stock which is back in it's rightful place at the rear of the rifle(and compliant)

Now the delema

I bought the rifle with full intent on doing a conversion and looking through the picture post i saw a few that I would like to copy

BUTTTT then I see these stock configuration ones that really have that SOCOM look to them and I really like it,,alot

heres the conversion rifle that I'd copy(i just love this gun) and the non-conversion "style" I'd be semi copying but with a little more M1 flair

Tell me what to do with my rifle :unsure: (actually help me decide)

post-19532-1247614533_thumb.jpg

post-19532-1247614549_thumb.jpg

I'll probably get a royal smack-down for saying this, but at this point I'm sort of liking the way my rifle shoots with this config (unconverted). I may just get tired of it and want to convert it for fun, but I've got no problems with the way it functions at this point. The only thing that would really compel me to convert would be if adding a pistol grip or some other component really gave a performance edge.

My advice would be to focus on the functionality edges, and treat it like a weapon that needs to function well for your purpose.

This is my SOCOM.. ;)

DSC01185.JPG

The look you guys are going for isn't bad...

I just hate the stock trigger. I converted with a red star arms FCG, and i'm pretty sure its the ticket for any saiga rifle conversion i do from now on. The shotguns... well you really don't need a fully adjustable trigger group.

I like the so-called socom scout look (with a forward mounted red-dot at 1x or 2x) just as much as the "converted" ones. The latter supposedly have much better triggers, but I'm betting with a dremel, some polish and some time, you could get the original trigger pretty smooth.

I think Dinzag makes a trigger group for the unconverted guns too. That should help with compliance if you want to use >10 round mags...

ETA: And trigger pull too.

Edited by Tacticool
That's what I'm talking about BUZZ,she' a beauty,Thats a UTG handguard right? and what scope mount is that?

Yes, UTG handguard and side mount. About $85 for the handguard and $35 for the scope mount. Side mount holds zero very well so far (I've only got about 200 rounds threw it at this point, so there will be a report on it shortly from me ((for what that's worth)). I'm liking it a ton so far.. the recoil pad makes it really comfortable to shoot too. Good luck with your decision.. Good news is, the Saiga's are so reasonably priced that there is no reason you couldn't do one now, save your pennies, and do another. That's what I might be doing if I don't go with an AR next.

Oh yeah, and I'de fill that buttstock too, suposedly thet makes them feel less cheap. I hated the factory buttstock from the second i touched it.

Word on that brother. The buttstock alone almost made me decide against getting the rifle. It really does feel like a piece of crap, but it IS a pretty solid polymer piece and could work as a dental tool if needed. I've been looking around for a non-wood buttstock that was made well, but no luck so far (I don't want to hiijack this thread, but if anyone knows of a good source with some choices, speak up). I thought about filling it (someone suggested using foam), but I don't want to add more weight to an already too heavy weapon. I also thought about cutting a little custom hole in it that could hold the cleaning kit.. I hate that you can't carry your cleaning rod and kit in the weapon (again, here suggestions would be welcome).

I think Dinzag makes a trigger group for the unconverted guns too. That should help with compliance if you want to use >10 round mags...

Nothing but a full FCG exchange will help the pull.

With Dinzags' "no mods" FCG parts, you still have that awful Rube Goldberg linkage (which is responsible for the sh****y pull).

Honestly, if you're not going to convert, that "SOCOM" config looks real classy, and remember that in the end they will both shoot a 7.62mm bullet at around 2500 fps.

As far as functionality, I would say that the converted rifle has a slight edge, simply due to the much improved trigger pull and better balance. I noticed significantly tighter groups after I converted. But really, if you're used to the trigger and you're diggin option B, it's your rifle; have your way with it.

Now personally, I would buy a 7.62x39 and convert it it, and then buy a .308 Saiga and rock Buzzkillin's config.

I'll probably get a royal smack-down for saying this, but at this point I'm sort of liking the way my rifle shoots with this config (unconverted). I may just get tired of it and want to convert it for fun, but I've got no problems with the way it functions at this point. The only thing that would really compel me to convert would be if adding a pistol grip or some other component really gave a performance edge.

My advice would be to focus on the functionality edges, and treat it like a weapon that needs to function well for your purpose.

This is my SOCOM.. ;)

DSC01185.JPG

If that is the way you like it go for it...

It looks good the way you have it.... I only converted because I like the AK look and feel.....

With Dinzags' "no mods" FCG parts, you still have that awful Rube Goldberg linkage (which is responsible for the sh****y pull).

Not to start shit in any way shape or form; but I had put a dinzag modded tapco fcg in a stock saiga and it improved the trigger pull significantly. I don't have the two side by side to tell you exactly how much better one is over the other, since I ultimately went to full PG conversion.

Full pg makes mag changes easier and allows you to balance the rifle better with one hand durring those mag changes. with the AK's rock and lock style magazines, a pistol grip is an advantage.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to start shit in any way shape or form; but I had put a dinzag modded tapco fcg in a stock saiga and it improved the trigger pull significantly. I don't have the two side by side to tell you exactly how much better one is over the other, since I ultimately went to full PG conversion.

Full pg makes mag changes easier and allows you to balance the rifle better with one hand durring those mag changes. with the AK's rock and lock style magazines, a pistol grip is an advantage.

I have a Dinzag modified FCG in an unconverted Saiga as well. It is in fact slightly smoother than the factory abomination, but is still SIGNIFICANTLY worse than a converted FCG. Nalioth's Rube Goldberg analogy is spot on; trying to make the factory trigger into a good trigger is like polishing a turd.

But if the factory trigger is what you want and you cant tell the difference, more power to you. Shoot often and enjoy.

This is my SOCOM.. ;)

DSC01185.JPG

Man, I don't mean to be a dick, but that looks terrible. The UTG rails, the airsoft scope mount, the retarded factory stock.... It all tells me you need to sit down and seriously think about whether or not the saiga is the right weapon for you. I mean people like you are the reason these shit companies keep making this crap. People like you are ruining my favorite website. People like you are whats wrong with america.... :haha:

This is my SOCOM.. ;)

DSC01185.JPG

Man, I don't mean to be a dick, but that looks terrible. The UTG rails, the airsoft scope mount, the retarded factory stock.... It all tells me you need to sit down and seriously think about whether or not the saiga is the right weapon for you. I mean people like you are the reason these shit companies keep making this crap. People like you are ruining my favorite website. People like you are whats wrong with america.... :haha:

Personally I like the look of the UTG rails, haven't heard anything bad about them, and I use the same "airsoft scope mount" with absolutely zero problems. It even holds zero after being removed and put back on, quick release and all.

And aren't you being a little high and mighty when calling the stock many of our rifles come with "the retarded factory stock"??? Just cause someone doesn't make the exact same choices as you, doesn't make your choices any better. :)

Edited by stix213
Oh yeah, and I'de fill that buttstock too, suposedly thet makes them feel less cheap. I hated the factory buttstock from the second i touched it.

The factory stock can be made to feel a lot less cheap if you wedge and hot glue a 1" or better wooden dowel in place cross wise to brace it and then fill it with foam. Or you can make a wooden insert to mount a recoil paid to instead of the dowel.

But personally, I prefer the pistol grip!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my SOCOM.. ;)

DSC01185.JPG

LOL, I just got back to reading this thread. I love it when people are too chicken shit to just come out and "be a dick", so they try to qualify their comments with statements like "I don't mean to be a dick". Fact is brother, you ARE being a dick in this post, and that's totally cool as far as I'm concerned, but at least have the sack to just be what you are and not put girly qualifiers in there. I know we've been through this discussion about your attraction to the 'looks' of your rifle before my man, and I'll paraphrase my response to you from before: I'm looking for a rifle that I can depend on, bottom line. I don't want it to sit across a table at dinner and look pretty so I can take it home and bone it. I want something that I can rely on, potentially even for survival, so whether it meets your standards of looking pretty or not is about as important to me as my grannies morning dump.

Ultimately, I did decide to convert it, but only because I wanted an improved FCG, to have a horizontal trigger pull, and to make faster mag changes. And for the record, the improvements to the stock trigger etc. are undeniable. I IS a much better rifle, but not because it's prettier.

To your comment about me being the reason "these shit companies keep making this crap".. I'm not sure which "shit companies" you are referring to.. Saiga? I think they make a pretty good product, and I think their dumbing down of the product has more to do with the LAW than my choice to purchase the product.

To your comment about me being what's wrong with this forum... I don't know how to respond to that. I've tried to acquire as much knowledge here as possible, and to be a good member and even put in my .02 for what its worth. That is what I believe this forum was all about... Most of the people here are EXTREMELY helpful and imho very cool people. But there will always be those who use ANY forum to flex their egos, rather than working in the spirit of helping others.

To your comment "you're what's wrong with America"... no comment.

Also, the sidemount is a UTG. Most of the posts that I have read here from people who use it, actually like it quite well.

Cheers.

Ah, don't mind Sal. He is a dick, but an OK one. :haha: He is the high priest of Saiga conversions. He is just being his usual, outspoken self. Hey Sal, If I have to move back to Kalifornicate, I will probably put the factory stock and FCG back on. Tried a MMG and didn't care for it. Oh well, the front half will stay "Kool"

That UTG mount you have on your SOCOM Saiga, I have seen those on some auction sites, I was wondering if its the one with a lever on the bottom of it, and if so do you need or did you need to have any other part to attach to the side of the rifle (I am slowly trying to figure this stuff out ;) )

Thanks

Cel