Recoil in slow motion

No, not here, but here:

This is a short youtube video shows the AK-47 firing in slow motion. Notice that his trigger finger does not move. Probably not your normal Saiga sporting rifle. However, REALLY take a look at the rebound spring. They are firing 7.62 x 39 Soviet rounds, that you can plainly see. The recoil spring lets the action barely make it all the way back on the stroke. Here, it is doubtful, that a recoil buffer pad is needed, nor desired.

I would bet the .223 and the 7.62 x 39 have the same spring. The .223 has different pressures than the 7.62 x 39 Soviet. Example: In my Hodgdon reloading book, the pressures are listed in CUP pressure.

.223 55 gr bullet, CUP from 47,600 to 53,000.

7.62 x 39 Soviet in 150 gr bullet, CUP from 39,300 to 43,600.

The difference in chamber pressures would certainly make the entire recoil take up more "aggressive" on the .223 if the same spring was used.

Does anyone know what the gage of the spring is on their 7.62 x 39? My .223 measures 0.0465" for thickness of the steel, or 1.21 mm in metric. O.D. is 0.451 (11.50mm) which means the normal .500 inch compression springs won't work as they are a little too large in OD.

My bet, is that the Russians are frugal, and as long as it worked between the .223 and the 7.62 x 39, they let it stand.

.308 Winchester is not much different in CUP pressures than the .223. Hodgdon Benchmark produces 49,300 CUP on a 168 gr bullet, and H335 produced the same of 49,300. Highest in the .308 Win. group was IMR 4320, which produce 59,300 CUP. So even the .308 might have a similar spring as the pressure ranges fall right in there with the .223.

BTW, Benchmark and BLC-(2) reloading powders are used in all 3 calibers. Might be nice if you have a caliber of each and for some reason shortages in bullets crop up.

Edited by Darth AkSarBen
  • Like 1

This thread has a section on springs that may add a little bit to your information. Sorry I don't have more to add, I'm curious too.

Now one thing I really need to stress since it's one of my pet peeves; folks putting buffers in AKs that don't need them!! The bolt carrier is designed to stop 3/16" BEFORE it ever contacts the rear trunnion, if you get marks on your rear trunnion you need a new $5 recoil spring, this rifle was used for years in full auto with that recoil spring and here is the only damage that was done

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic...122&t=31796

Edited by spoon

Great article you linked to. EVERY forum member here that posts, should take a look at this Romanian AK and what a good shooter can do with even a worn out rifle. Don't complaing about the 5 inch groups at 100 yards with you Saiga. You're shooting a new rifle. This AK is no different than our NEW Saigas, except have about 200,000 rounds on us for wear.

No, not here, but here:

I would bet the .223 and the 7.62 x 39 have the same spring. The .223 has different pressures than the 7.62 x 39 Soviet. Example: In my Hodgdon reloading book, the pressures are listed in CUP pressure.

The difference in chamber pressures would certainly make the entire recoil take up more "aggressive" on the .223 if the same spring was used.

While the pressures are higher for the .223, the bolt thrust is quite a bit lower.

• 1 month later...
No, not here, but here:

This is a short youtube video shows the AK-47 firing in slow motion. Notice that his trigger finger does not move. Probably not your normal Saiga sporting rifle. However, REALLY take a look at the rebound spring. They are firing 7.62 x 39 Soviet rounds, that you can plainly see. The recoil spring lets the action barely make it all the way back on the stroke. Here, it is doubtful, that a recoil buffer pad is needed, nor desired.

Does anyone know what the gage of the spring is on their 7.62 x 39? My .223 measures 0.0465" for thickness of the steel, or 1.21 mm in metric. O.D. is 0.451 (11.50mm) which means the normal .500 inch compression springs won't work as they are a little too large in OD.

My bet, is that the Russians are frugal, and as long as it worked between the .223 and the 7.62 x 39, they let it stand.

.308 Winchester is not much different in CUP pressures than the .223. Hodgdon Benchmark produces 49,300 CUP on a 168 gr bullet, and H335 produced the same of 49,300. Highest in the .308 Win. group was IMR 4320, which produce 59,300 CUP. So even the .308 might have a similar spring as the pressure ranges fall right in there with the .223.

BTW, Benchmark and BLC-(2) reloading powders are used in all 3 calibers. Might be nice if you have a caliber of each and for some reason shortages in bullets crop up.

That IS A Romanian AK47 Look At The Arsenal Marking! Plus Russia Issued The AKM Design With A Stamped Receiver In 1960 And Thats A 1964 Model..He's Got Some Money Sitting There!

Edited by DragunovGuy16

That was Destert Storm 1911 's rifle, aka as dstorm1911 in the forums. He had some domestic problems, and left the forums at AK Files forums back in 2007. Had hundreds of rifles, and had to crate them all up. Hasn't been heard from on the forum site for years at AK Files. Hope things worked out for him. His last post.... http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28812

Edited by Darth AkSarBen

Man - that's an awesome article!

The guy mentions an american made bolt and even shows pictures - does anyone know who manufactures them? I've been looking for them all over the place and never could find anything.

Since he has domestic issues, I guess we can't ask the original poster any more, which of course sucks :angry: