Whats a good optic for MBR purposes?

Okay, the S308 makes a great platform for an MBR.

There's a lot of scope options out there. Just wondering what you guys recommend for MBR purposes?

A red dot with magnifier, like and Eotech or Aimpoint?

A fixed mag scope? What power? AO?

A scope with variable magnification? What range is most suitable for the S308 16" barrel? 21" barrel?

Thanks for your input guys.

I switch between my POSP 4x fixed and my PKAS-V, both work reasonably well. I can get decent groups with both at 100yds (3-4") using 150gr Australian surplus ammo. My Saiga has a 16" barrel and I have not shot past 100yds with it so I can't give any input on long range shooting.

First you have to identify what function the rifle will fill.

MBR is a rather loose definition outside of caliber, rate of fire, durability, and reliability. Counter sniper function could be served well by a traditional scope while fast target acquisition would fall more in the realm of a red dot with co-witness of iron sights. What it is not is a target rifle and people get way too hung up on making holes in paper.

Is it best to invest 500.00 in optics or 100.00 in good sights and 400.00 in ammo or training? I love the high end electronic optical systems available to us today but at 500.00 and up its a trade off of limited resources. One thing to consider is that any complex system will fail from either impact or environment (they dont like mud for instance) at the worst possible time. Murphys Law isnt just a quaint phrase, its reality.

My solution is a low light front sight and a good peep sight for the rear and use the saving to buy ammo but Im kind of conservative about the matter. That why I use the AK/Saiga platform instead of the M1A or FAL, that rifle must work no matter what.

So it seems like the preferred magnification is 4x maximum. Is the expected range for an MBR 100yds? Or is it more, like 200yds?

True, target shooting is just that, target shooting. It does not take into consideration real life situations. Thats why when I am at the range I only use the bi-pod and not a "Lead Sled" or other similar resting device.

I appreciate the use of irons but... it is always preferrable to use optics, which is why I pose the question. About the Trijicon, nice scope but wow incredible price, more than what I paid for the rifle. Are there any other similar alternatives to the Trijicon's features for less?

I have the NcStar 2-7X32 Mildot on mine and I love it. It has the quick release mount, but I use the dust cover scope mount, which allows use of the irons without removal.

I also have a NcStar redot on my carbine that works great also.

I have been very happy with the NcStar product.

Well this one is reported to be very durable and not as expensive not cheap either and works well in scout mount. Has its own blade sights for backup.

Bushnell Tactical Elite 1x32 Red/Green T-Dot

Red Dot

Hunt around you can find it for about 165.00

A scout mount just seems to work better for an AK. The mount has a iron sight built into it and replaces the rear sight. This allows a good mount not using side or receiver mount. If you do go with a magnifier this makes so much sense for the Saiga allowing a quick change to iron or optics.

Like this mount for a scout config...

Scout AK Mount

Edited by Rhodes1968