SGL20 or GP1975, which do I buy?

I like them both, but the SGL20 is expensive. However, it's made in Russia and the quality is far superior than the GP1975. But then again, the GP is half the price. What do you guys recommend? Is the SGL20 worth the money, or do I get the cheaper AK?

YOU MAKE GOOD JOKE, NO?

What are you thinking?

A cobbled-together Century abomination made from a parts kit versus a brand new (shadily imported and highly overpriced) Russian Kalashnikov?

Again, what are you thinking?

The only reason I ask is because of the price. So without a doubt, you recommend the SGL20. Okay. That's what my wife says also. I just feel strange paying 850.00 for an AK with a non milled receiver. But if you guys say it's worth it, then I'll get one.

Okay. SGL20 it is. What mags do you recommend?

The cheapest communist manufactured milsurps you can find.

Avoid US/commercially made mags at all costs (unless you need something for your "surprise immediate action" drills)

The only reason I ask is because of the price. So without a doubt, you recommend the SGL20. Okay. That's what my wife says also. I just feel strange paying 850.00 for an AK with a non milled receiver. But if you guys say it's worth it, then I'll get one.

Simple...

Hold out your left hand.

Now hold out your right.

....THAT'S ALL YOU GOT!

What do you want to have in your hands if it's really on the line? (or hit the hills/mad max/insert whatever reasoning here).

I have plenty of stuff in the safe. Plenty of things to go have fun with. But I also have particular "go to" items.

Just like some people would have various types of hand guns in the safe, but a particular reliable and effective gun for conceal carry, there's a difference.

Edited by whatmanual

It depends on how many you intend to carry. If you carry a lot of metal mags things get heavy real fast. If you end up going polymer, go with bulgarian "circle 10" waffle mags. You will have the fewest problems.

:smoke:

It depends on how many you intend to carry. If you carry a lot of metal mags things get heavy real fast. If you end up going polymer, go with bulgarian "circle 10" waffle mags. You will have the fewest problems.

:smoke:

+1

If you plan on stuffing a dozen 30rd mags into your webgear and carrying and using them the Bulgarian Waffle Mag is hard to beat as well as having less issue with the floorplates hanging up on each other when you draw them from a double pouch.

If you just use a commie mag pouch bag for a handful of mags then any milsurp metal mag will serve you just as well and American made mags are KRYPTONITE to your Kalashnikov's reliability

I still think you should convert a Saiga yourself instead of buying either of those and if you delete the AK74 Front Sight and Muzzle Brake you could build a functional rifle for about $600 if you buy the Saiga cheap enough

Edited by SOPMOD

Ordered my SGL20-41 on Friday. Let's see when it arrives. Going to order some Bulgarian steel mags for it also. I don't have 100% faith in the Bulgarian waffles. Not only that, they twice the price of the Bulgy steel. Even though my SGL has not yet arrived, my brother is already whining that I should have bought another AR-15 upper instead. That the AR shoots much better and blah blah blah. I just tell him yeah, the AR is a great accurate gun, but the AK is the best go to gun out there. That's why I sleep with my Saiga 223 next to my bed at night, and not the AR. I just hope that the SGL is every bit as good as my S223.

* Steel Eastern European mags have worked flawlessly for me in everything.

* I have have several Chinese steel mags that do not function well. I don't buy these anymore. YMMV

* Circle 10 bulgy waffle mags are tough, but I have had several that needed some breaking in before they functioned 100% and have never seen one break - these are the best polymer mags for the AK.

* I have had 2 of the Bullet pattern polymer Bulgy mags break, so I can not recommend them.

* American made AK mags are a waste of money. Don't trust your life to these.

Congratulations on your purchase of a SGL20, they are nice rifles.