What Made You Decide/How Did You Come By Your Saiga 12('s)?

I've been in many fields. I am a licensed stockbroker in the Philippine Stock Exchange. I was a live television stock market analyst. I read the eleven o'clock news. I have experience in Marketing. I've worked as Night Editor for a national daily broadsheet (twice). I'm now a food entrepreneur and I've found myself mysteriously Press-Ganged(excuse the pun) into the nation's oldest and widest circulating national daily broadsheets.

In the Philippines if you have a lot of money it goes a long, long way. That said, the pay scale here is no where near that of the United States. Through the last decade and a half through all sorts of economic catastrophes, personal misfortunes, and a series of dead and jobs and rip-offs...I've had to put many of my personal aspirations on hold...

I still haven't gotten that motorcycle...

Today I find myself in a strange and unfamiliar place. I have two pick up trucks...one just over a year old, and the other in excellent shape despite the fact I bought it used 7 years ago and it's now 12 years old. For the first time in my working career I no longer worry about household bills and I am debt-free. I actually have a very modest savings.

I always wanted to get a gun...but I never had a clear idea what...nor when I would be able to...

Late last year I had a couple of college buddies over my place for beer and BBQ...one of them mentioned and inexpensive Russian semi-automatic shotgun based on the AK platform...

I'm a student of military history...

It was that epiphanous moment when for sure I KNEW I HAD TO GET A SAIGA 12. Few things in my life have ver been so clear.

Let's hear your stories Gentlemen! :)

-Jah Ras Ta Far I

Edited by rastamanila
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in my late 50's and have a LOT of guns and have been buying about 4 or 5 a month the past 2-3 years. I have held a CCW for over 37 years.

I was buying a Soumi 9mm semi-auto form Centerfire Systems and So far it has been a 2 month wait. Each time I call them to check on the status of my Back Order I see one of their flyers I get on line and in the E mail.

First I bought a demilled spanish Bazooka.

The next time I checked on my Soumi they had the Saiga 12 for $530 delivered so WTF.

I bought it on impaulse to replace a Street Sweper I had to give up since it was re-classified as a DD by the ATF in 1994. In my state the commoners can't own destructive devices unless one has a Class 3 licence which is impossible to get.

That is the story...

I was introduced to Saigas by this guy who used to come by once in awhile to drink beer and tell lies...lol. He told me one day that he had gotten a good deal on a 410 shotgun that was really an AK. I was like....yeah :rolleyes: ...sure ya did Ken... :haha: good one there!

So he surprised the shit outa me next time he came over and had it with him. After the novelty and the I told ya so's wore off, he told me it was cool but he didn't want it cause the damn thing wouldn't work right. He showed me something else I'd never seen before too...the steel hulled Barnaul ammo that he got with it. We went out back and tried to run a mag through it and it FTF'd on every round. I ended up giving him fifty bucks for it, two mags, and the box of ammo.

Then in my search online for info about it, I was eventually led to this forum. I started way back at the beginning of the archives, and read everything in the 410 forum. Not only was I able to get it running good finally, but also learned how to convert it and did that.

Well I was hooked like a fish after that! The AK has always been my favorite battle rifle so I started reading all the way back in the other forums as well. The S-12 was the obvious next choice for me. I managed to find a fellow forum member here that had an K-USA / EAA imported 19"er for sale (Yes it's stamped with both...) and luckily he lived local to me. We met up for a FTF sale and for $550 I came home with a new S-12 with 5 mags! Back then there weren't any at gunshows or local shops. Picked up a few boxes of slugs and shotshells on my way home and headed straight to the creek!

First time I fired that beast I probably smiled the biggest smile since the one I had all day after skydiving!

:D

The Saiga bug bit very hard, I ended up with at least one or two of each rifle and shotgun.... and I'm still adding them to the collection every time I get a chance.

rastamanila

Interesting you bring up trucks. I have 7 autos currently. No not rich just handy as I buy them cheap and fix them up to 95% perfect myself.

Have a 1984 Dodge ram PU mild street racer, 1979 F100 PU I just finished up, a 1979 Mercury Cougar that is near perfect, a 1991 Mercury Capri Turbo convertable near perfect, 1996 Suzuki X-90 55k miles is all, 1995 Bronco 98% no rust, 2005 Impala, and a 1981 Suzuke GN400 Motorcycle. I have a hard time driving them every year. But like the freedom of being able to drive a different auto evey day.

Lots of fun..

I too am debt-free

Roger

Edited by rogertc1

I had been wanting a shotgun for some time. I have a mosin, .22, and a AR-15 that is being built. I wanted a boom stick. Got researching shotguns and came across the wonderful saiga line of weapons. A local forum sponsor was having a Memorial day sale with several siagas on the list. Of course I found it the day after his sale ended. Another guy and I posted saying we wish we had found it sooner, and next thing you know we both got PMs saying two buyer of saigas backed out at the last second. And offered the saigas to us. the sale price was $455 + shipping, plus a transfer fee at my local FFL. So I now have my very own 19" S12 and gathering parts for the conversion...And yes the bug has bit, I have been thinking about getting another one maybe a longer barreled version to keep unconverted.

I can't remember when I started shooting, it is a long family tradition, Mom & Dad's families both had guns, pretty much all of my cousins have guns and there are a lot of them. Dad used to have to hunt or eat spam, when he was a kid, during the harder times. After a hiatus from the tradition during my teens and twenties, I got back into it with a passion; Dad gave me a Ruger Security Six, when I purchased a condo. A while later I went to a gun show and saw the Saiga-12, the dealer had 3 of them sitting on his rack, I asked him a few questions then handed over payment, got myself a 2001 Saiga-12. This is back when people were still flaming the idea of the drum, a bit after that MikeD came out with his product and all the flames burned out. Since then, I got my C&R license and it has been all down hill, now I have 6 pistols, 3 shotguns, and a closet full of rifles.

I was looking for an AK for my birthday back in 2006..

I did a we search and found Blaine's site http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ .

I saw the Saiga listed among various kit builds and was astounded that there was an AK shotgun.....

my desire for a 7.62x39 subsided for the time being....

I ordered a standard IZ 109 from him and the awkward izzy folder from Copes...

I call Blaine back because I saw the izzy 8 round mag on a gun at Tony's Tromix site..

and told me that there were no 8 rounders available to him in the US....

(note, some folks really seem to take Blaine WRONG at first.. I ALMOST did...)

and ask him about compliance questions.... he directed me to The AK forum and here....

He also talked me it to getting the basic Red*Jacket S12 conversion....

I sign on here Oct 4th... asking the typical 922R things... Shannon (Cobra) PM's me and we have been friends from there on.

I get my Red Jacket in and called Will Hayden....

I don't know if y'all have ever talked to Will.... He is one of the friendliest and coolest guys I have met..

and an old jarhead to boot....

anyhow... that's how I ended up here....

The story about me becoming a Mod is far more interesting.... :blink:

I had known about the Saiga 12 for a while, had seen them at gun shows, and had discussed it with Will at Red Jacket.

But it was while doing house to house in New Orleans after Katrina that convinced me to buy my first one.

My father was a gunsmith and he liked old military weapons of any kind. That's always kept me open minded when it came to firearms. I also have a desire to hunt that runs pretty deep. So when the wife wanted a new dining room I told her I'll need a new shotgun. She got the new dining room. :dollar: In my shotgun search I stumbled across the S-12. I really liked how it was Kalashnikov based that can be customized to my liking. :super: It may be in the deer stand with me this fall if the stick N string doesn't score first!

When they were first imported I thought they were cool but I couldn't find one. So I kind of forgot about them. I started seeing them in my local gun stores a few years ago and wasn't very impressed with the sporter look. Then, they started to grow on me. I bought one about 4 months ago and had mine converted. Now I love them!

--Dave

Nothing too special with my story.......

I had a Benelli M3 Super 90 semi/pump and loved everything about it except the fact that it was a tube fed. I knew about the USAS 12, but those went DD back in 94, so I was content for the time being with my Benelli. A couple years back I was talking with my buddy about what "the ultimate weapon" would be like. We come up with 3 categories (rifle, pistol and shotgun).

For the shotgun, we were thinking a belt fed with the option of taking a detachable magazine. We then decided that a drum would probably hold about as many rounds as you'd want (due to the weight) and figured a drum fed 12 ga would be about right. I didn't realize there was such an animal until about a year ago when I stumbled across this forum.

I spent several months reading everything I could about the Saiga 12 and when I saw that CGW was having a sale on converted ones (the Obama Special), I ordered one. I received it in January of this year (about 6 months ago). I've upgraded a few parts here and there, as many of us do. Now, except for a choke, it's about how I want it.

Corbin

I thought about them for many years,back when they were like 259.00 but mags were impossible to find. I even got to shoot one but the guy didnt have a mag.(bought it used). The final decision came after the AWB died and MDA announced their drum and AGP's became available. I now have 2 converted , 1 I bought and did myself and 1 my brother bought and I did. He then had the unfortunate accident a week later and passed away having never shot it and I inherited his entire collection as per my 78 yr old mom who became the estate administrator.

Edited by SSBiggun

Back in 2005 I was surfing the web Googling "box mag fed shotguns" and doing similar searches. Came across the S-12 & thought to myself I had to have one. I bought one and kept it for awhile. Then had to sell her due to financial situations. Then when the 2008 election was over, I thought I better get another one while I could. Wish I could have just kept the first one. There werent a bunch of vodka specials around back then as far as I know, and they were less expensive too.

ETA: SSBigGun, sorry to hear about your brother. Keep blastin away with that sucker in his honor.

Edited by AlphaDogo

I read about the Saiga 12 about 2 years ago. At that time I was doing some research on shotguns that I was considering to purchase for home defense. I first read about the USAS-12 and then that lead me to the Saiga-12. At that time, being in the represive state of Kalifornia, I thought it would NEVER be possible to ever see the S12 available for use in Kalifornia. I eventually decided to get a Mossberg 500 for HD figuring on accessorizing it with the many inexpensive accesories available for it.

Then last year while shopping in some gun shops, I discovered the sad truth about OLLs in Kalifornia. I've seen ARs many times before but the ones I saw on the rack made me sick. :ded: These ARs I saw had NO MAGWELLS. The only way to reload is to crack open the gun and load the internal non-removable magizine to its 10rnd capacity. Stripper clips were not applicable. After seeing that I then researched further and found that other guns were not affected like the Mini-14 and the Springfield Armory SOCOM. Later that year I stumbled on a radio add on my drive to work for a shop in my area but still a long long drive that offers OLLs. I then visited their website and saw that the only ones that were available which I can afford was the Saiga rifle.

I came into some money at about the end of the year so I went to this shop to purchase a Saiga rifle. I decided on a .308 because I always wanted a rifle in .308 but never got one until now. Upon making my purchase and starting the wait period for the S308 I saw the S12 on the rack. I couldn't believe my eyes because I thought these were impossible to have in Kalifornia. It came with a mag lock (of course :rolleyes: ) and a price tag of $1000 (unconverted). When I returned after the waiting period, I looked at the S12 again. I expressed my interest in the gun to the dealer but mentioned that I didn't want to wait another 10days and drive out more than 50miles to pick it up again. The dealer then told me it wasn't a problem because I had already expended the waiting period on my rifle so they would be able to add the S12 along with it and I would be able to take home the S!2 with the S308 that same day. SOLD!

At the time given my perception of the S12, I didn't even thinkg about shopping it on price. The fact that it was available was good enough for me. And despite the price compared to what you can get one for now, it was still a damnside better than spending more than $1500 for stripped down Kalifornia AR.

The dealer at that time told me that I would have a hard time finding mags for both the S308 and the S12. Boy was he wrong! However, I did make the mistake of buying Pro-mags as my first mags. I bought them because their factory was local to me and I bought them straight from the factory floor. I've learned since then and its only AGP mags for me from now on. Although the Taiwan mags are good too for going to the range without attracting any negative attention. (remember this is Kalifornia)

I now have my guns accessorized the way I want it but that is after spending another $2000 in the last 6 months. This of course does not include ammo. I'm sure many others are in the same boat as me in finding new options to spend on every day, but I must put a stop to it and start investing on my ammo stock pile. :devil:

I've been in many fields. I am a licensed stockbroker in the Philippine Stock Exchange. I was a live television stock market analyst. I read the eleven o'clock news. I have experience in Marketing. I've worked as Night Editor for a national daily broadsheet (twice). I'm now a food entrepreneur and I've found myself mysteriously Press-Ganged(excuse the pun) into the nation's oldest and widest circulating national daily broadsheets.

In the Philippines if you have a lot of money it goes a long, long way. That said, the pay scale here is no where near that of the United States. Through the last decade and a half through all sorts of economic catastrophes, personal misfortunes, and a series of dead and jobs and rip-offs...I've had to put many of my personal aspirations on hold...

I still haven't gotten that motorcycle...

Today I find myself in a strange and unfamiliar place. I have two pick up trucks...one just over a year old, and the other in excellent shape despite the fact I bought it used 7 years ago and it's now 12 years old. For the first time in my working career I no longer worry about household bills and I am debt-free. I actually have a very modest savings.

I always wanted to get a gun...but I never had a clear idea what...nor when I would be able to...

Late last year I had a couple of college buddies over my place for beer and BBQ...one of them mentioned and inexpensive Russian semi-automatic shotgun based on the AK platform...

I'm a student of military history...

It was that epiphanous moment when for sure I KNEW I HAD TO GET A SAIGA 12. Few things in my life have ver been so clear.

Let's hear your stories Gentlemen! :)

-Jah Ras Ta Far I

I had just gotten a FN SLP shotgun. It worked great.....but... I kept bemoaning the fact that I couldn't just stick a mag in

it to reload it. I noticed some vid's on youtube with this shotgun that had a magazine. I found this forum and converted

my 12 with the help of these great people on this forum. I'm hooked!! By the way that FN SLP is for sale now!!

It came with a mag lock (of course :rolleyes: ) and a price tag of $1000 (unconverted).....

I now have my guns accessorized the way I want it but that is after spending another $2000 in the last 6 months.

A $3000 S12? Your anus must have needed reconstructive surgery after that ass raping.

Always wanted a gun. When wife and I were dating we made a list of things to do and hobbies to explore. We took a pic of the list and had it out a few months back when we were talking about how the kids were going to be in school and we should pick up a hobby. Shortly after that, a former employee (I think, not sure) broke into my car and vandalized it to the point insurance totalled it. Also tried to light it, but after dumping gas I think a neighbor spooked whoever it was and they left. Police stopped caring once insurance totalled it. It took us back to the whole gun hobby thing... police apathy being the wake up call that maybe we needed to have a better plan for home/self-defense than eyes-wide-shut.

I've been researching guns for years and didn't realize semi-auto shotguns had come out of the AWB. I dove into the AWB looking for banned semi-auto shotguns, found the Saiga and some others. I was interested in the few moving parts of the S12 as a learning platform. I knew I'd probably f$%*! up my first gun and learn a lot in the process. I also liked that it's AK-base and so, in learning the Saiga, I'd learn the AK and acquire accessories that could be cross-functional for whatever I felt I wanted to do. The 12 gauge has a wide variety of ammo for almost every purpose under the sun and I like that too. The plan is to double up on a short range (shotguns), medium range (AKs), and long range (?) and then ultimately pistols for last stand/resort. As we pick up each, we'll learn (dis)assembly/cleaning/maintenance and take a course in the gun's use at a basic level. Once we're really comfortable, we'll do some hardcore training like a Suarez course or something like Modern Combative and probably get into skeet/clay/trap shooting.

Having successfully messed up the 1st Saiga, I'm in the final days of waiting on a Tac47 one and my first AK (Egyptian Maadi RPK). We also picked up 2 Mossberg 500s, which my wife primarily shoots. Working through it all, it's been a fun but expensive hobby so far. Not having shot much, it's been fun to go from being glad to hit the target at 75 ft to being able to punch a sticker out of the target at 75 ft. Getting into this has been fun and stimulating on many levels. We both feel empowered and more knowledgable than previously. I figure if you're going to own a gun you might as well be responsible about it and to cost-justify the expense, enjoy the hell out of it. I'll be depressed if in a year or two, I'm not hitting 100+ yard targets in tight groups with my S12, AK, and pistols and doing well with longer-distance gun of some kind at 200+. I think my wife will be too.

My story is short and simple.

The wife and I saw a documentary on TV about the AA12. We were so intrigued that we began to look up anything we could find on the AA12 via the internet....not a lot at the time......but, I did find the S12 on Youtube. A Kalishnakov 12 gauge?? Once I discovered that I could own one, it's all I could think about until I got it. :wub:

I'd still like to have an AA12. :smoke:

I saw an ad in shotgun news from a company who use to sell them. ( they still might? ) 'Keislers' in Indiana, sometime in either 01' or 02' ( would need to check the paperwork to be sure. )

ordered a 19" with 4 additional mags and ran it threw my local FFL so he could make some money on it.

It came with a mag lock (of course :rolleyes: ) and a price tag of $1000 (unconverted).....

I now have my guns accessorized the way I want it but that is after spending another $2000 in the last 6 months.

A $3000 S12? Your anus must have needed reconstructive surgery after that ass raping.

No, the $2000 is split between the S12 and the S308. But yes, I still do need the surgery.

I found this place a couple years ago. I bought two 7.62x39 Saigas. I converted one of them.

I had zero interest in any shotgun at all, so the S12 didn't appeal to me. The "disease" then took hold.......and suddenly felt the need to have S12. I bought one and converted it. I now have another 12ga shotgun on it's way to me (although not a Saiga), so apparently I'm a weak willed man and this place makes it even worse! :D

AWB expired and I found out that I could buy a S12 for $225..

$225????

I hate you! :haha:

I was shopping for a upgrade shotgun to my 500A1 and saw http://www.tromix.com/PJ_saiga_01.mpg and knew I was looking at the ultimate fighting shotgun currently available.

How many shotguns can put 8 shells in the air at the same time?

Lets do the math.

That's 8 rounds x 9pellets of 00buck = 72 x 33 caliber pellets traveling at 1100fps. :eek:

Edited by Paladin

My story is as simple as first grade math.

A young woman's body found in a dumpster 1 block from my house +

Alot of home invasions in my area=

A gun that spits lots of lead.

Searched for usas12 found out real quick I was not going to get that. Found the S12 and fell in love.

Edited by havok

Gabe Suarez listed his top 5 defense shotguns, and the Saiga made the list TWICE... it was top of the list in the original Russian configuration, and it was 4th on the list in it's 'sporter' config. That piqued my interest, so I started doing my research, which led me here. I told my father-in-law about the Saiga, and he bought one before I did.... (rotten old bastard).... and then I found mine for $100 cheaper than he paid! :up: Got my conversion parts, haven't looked back. Bought a 7.62 x 39 about a month ago, too. I love the Saiga platform. :smoke:

i wanted a "tactical" shotgun for sometime and wasn't to sure what to get, i was looking at a few pumps when i stumbled across this video

i fell in love and picked one up ASAP. It is now my favorite gun in my collection

wanted a street sweeper since the late 80's early 90's but were re-classified and USAS was way too much for me back then, so I had heard about an AK-47 12 gauge on another site, did some research and liked what i found out and bought one from peach state last month.