What Made You Decide/How Did You Come By Your Saiga 12('s)?

I've owned AK-47s for years and started building them about 5 years ago from the then available kits, (AMD-65, Polish PMKMS, Romanian G's, Yugo M-92 etc)

Sadly we cannot use centerfire rifles here in Communist Md. for any type hunting so I used a blackpowder rifle that though accurate was sadly lacking in reliability and of course no ability for a follow up shot so I sort of needed a shotgun but they're so....18th century fowling pieces with upgraded ignition.

Of course I'd heard of the Saiga 12.

One day my wife and I walked into the local gun shop and there was a Saiga 12 hanging on the wall. I looked it over and turned to my wife and said, "Pay the man".

Interestingly it was an older import 2001 model (But brand new!) with Serial number 001.

The rest is history.

Oh and by the way, if Rastamanila has any Ford questions please PM me. I worked for Ford for 19 years before DHS hired me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a USAS12 and was looking for information on the web, mags for it etc. Came across this Saiga 12 but didn't think too much about it. Then had an epiphony when obammaman got elected and realised I'd better get the AK12G to match my M1612G if I ever wanted one. But didn't act. A couple of weeks later I happened to stop in a pawn shop a few miles away and was just browsing. I asked the owner if he had ever heard of an AK 12 gauge and he happened to have one one the shelf. I don't even think anyone else around here knows what they are. The pawn shop owner sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago. I bought a PLR-16 there also. Initially I only wanted it because I figured we would be told we couldn't have them soon, but it has turned out to be my favorite gun of all time (Iwas never into AKs). And, by the way, the F150 may suck. But the Ford Bronco is perhaps the finest vehicle ever built. It just needs some tweeking - like the S-12.

My dad suggested I look at one. The gunny that trained him in escape and evasion training before he went to Vietnam was firmly convinced that the AK platform was simply the best out there. Also at the time they were about 300 bucks, I thought that was pretty cheap for a semi-auto shotgun that was dead-nuts reliable.

I have been a gun geek since I was a kid. In ninth grade, I got busted skipping class because I was in the library making copies of articles about and pictures of AKs out of books. I remember when S12s first came into the country in '99, and I thought it was a neat concept poorly executed. In '06, I finally got a job where I made enough money to start buying things, and I got my first Kalashnikov, which was a WASR-10. I finished the wood in Russian Red, fixed the magwell with a Dremel, and my brother dressed down, polished, and clear-coated the bolt carrier. In researching WASR-10 crap, I came across converted Saiga 7.62x39s and 12 gauges, which led me to this site, which familiarized me with the conversion process and got me into contact with Tony Rumore. In fact, I only registered an account in order to send him a PM. After I got paid, I called him up, drove out to Broken Arrow and paid him, and two weeks later I picked up my shotgun (this was November 2006, before the waiting list became epic).

Needless to say, I went to the next gun show, sold the WASR and then turned right around and picked up a 7.62x39 Saiga for $269 after tax. At the gun show after that, I found a converted 16" S308 with a welded AK-74 brake, and I got it for $349 total. I have since fixed them up to my liking, and I have found them all to be nothing but awesome.

Past Saturday I was going to shoot my XDm .40 with my friends and we stopped at gun store to pick up some ammo. I always wanted to have a shotgun so I looked around and I saw 4 Saiga's hanging on wall. I took one of them off and I just couldn't go away from this baby. Went to shoot it and it was so much fun. I love it!!!!!!!

Edited by WhiteWi

I like guns but don't own many. At the moment I have an old single-shot 20GA, a 22 cal Browning Buckmaster, a 40 cal S&W Sigma, and a Vepr 223. I decided it would be a good time to get a "real" shotgun so was looking at 12GA pumps (Winchester 870, Mossberg 590, and Benelli Supernova). I started looking on Gunbroker.com for various options and somehow noticed a Saiga-12. I didn't know that there was such a thing as a Kalashnikov style shotgun and decided right there that I had to have one. Peach State guns (one of the board sponsor's) had an auction on gunbroker so checked out their website and made a purchase. I ended up getting their Intrafuse Handguard converted model. Just waiting for it to arrive now and looking at maybe putting a laser sight or light on it.

I always thought the Saiga was a cool idea, even when it was just available in .410. I just thought, "what's the point" when there were only five round mags, and they were expensive to boot. After the ban sunset, I started looking around and seeing the sort of innovation going on. In 2006, just before I deployed, I decided I wanted a Saiga. I did a lot of research while I was in Iraq and started weighing my options. By the time I was ready to order, Tromix was not accepting orders and I found Esteban at E-Tac. I placed my order in Iraq (along with orders for AGP mags and MD Drums) and got the shotgun shortly after I got home. From then it was down hill.

At this point, I am a true convert. I am working with what I've got, planning for my first home conversion, and learning all I can. This site is single-handedly responsible for most of the Saiga knowledge circulating the net. Where else is every major Saiga-smith a regular and approachable participant in the discussion. I blame the forum.

It was an impulse buy in my case, saw them advertised at some site a couple of years go, don't remember which one. Had to have it, didn't sleep at night sitting there staring at it on the internet, scraped all of my money together and sent off and got it. It has been a love affair ever since.

Then I found this forum.

It has been changed, added to and it is now the weapon that I would grab if I could only grab one weapon running out of the door.

Edited by waltham_41

I had to think about this one for a while! For the life of me I couldn't remember until I stopped trying. Then the lightbulb came on.

I was browsing Atlanticfirearms.com, saw the sold out Tromix conversions, browsed around the web to here, and learned how to make my own.

I had bought a house and decided it was finally time to pick something up for myself. I never had a gun before, just did not seem right to have one in a place I did not own and to be honest, I was a bit more motivated when Obama won the election. I had been doing some research and asking friends when I stumbled upon info on the saiga-12. I poked around a bit here and other places and decided that the saiga is what I wanted; a tough, reliable no-nonsense shotgun that would get the job done. Yes, I can say that there was a little bit of a "cool" factor involved, the damn thing just looks cool, a little extra I liked.

It has been a joy to shoot and my more experienced hunter friends have taken a liking to it. Like many, one saiga wasn't enough so I went out and picked up a .223 for more plinking fun and can say I am really happy with the little collection I have started. Will I buy another, maybe the .410 for the girlfriend but that would be it.

As a side note I just want to say that this has been a great site and full of some great info and tips. A big thank you to every one for their participation and sharing of everything they have learned.

I originally wanted a Remington 870 tacticle for home defense, but most gun sources seemed to be out of them. A fellow government employee pointed out that saiga 12s were available on gunbroker. I still wasn't sold because I didn't like the configuration that it came. I knew about Tromix, but they were back logged and were not taking any more orders at that time. The same government employee introduced me to this forum and CSS. I discovered that I could convert this myself relatively cheep. I still was not yet sold. Another government emplyee mentioned that a saiga 12 with a vest carring about 6 ten round magazines would be great for zombie hunting. Thats what did it!!! The thought of being in a bad part of town with my family at night and zombies coming up from the graves and doing the "Thriller" dance and not being able to counter the threat with conventional small arms. I had to get a saiga 12 to protect my family from these kinds of threats. Although unlikely, very severier if not prepared. And by the way Michael Jackson is now dead. This "Thriller" survival senario is closer to actually happening. Thats all I need is a Zombie that lust after little boys going after my kids. I am now prepared for this contingency.

I found out about the saiga 12 by posting on an online forum under the ultimate self defense weapon. I didn't know the saiga 12 existed. So in my great knowledge i suggested combining the two greatest guns for that purpose. A 12 gauge ak47. I thought i was brilliant. Some one replied that its already made. Now i have one.

I just got my license in Nov. and being completely new to the scene I spent as much time researching and asking questions at the local gunshop. They do a raffle for all sorts of different and unique firearms. When I saw it on the wall I asked what it was. The owner told me it was an AK shotgun.

My eyebrows went up and I said Really? They make those? That is when I ran home and started to research Saiga's. What I found out had my jaw hitting the floor. I was floored with the idea. I ran back to the shop to throw down some cash for the raffle immediately.

I waited 2 weeks and the raffle wasn't filling up, so I got antsy and bought another one on the spot.

This was only the 2nd firearm I purchased after my SHTF gun, the SKS. I knew I wanted a shotgun for HD, and what better option was out there. I only wish I won the raffle, just so I could have 2. :wub:

Since then I picked up the Saiga 7.62, which I plan on doing the full conversion, and I would love to pick up that 308!

I guess it was around 2002, I was stationed in Ft. Hood and was still a newly wed and the wife let me purchase a Law 12 and while doing so came across the Saiga12 and thought what the fuck is this. A 12 gauge AK, hmm. That's when I went home and started researching. I found the Izshmash website and saw the Saiga12K and 12C. I printed both of them out and went back to the gun store where I bought the Law 12 and asked if these were being imported as well and sadly I was denied because of the AWB. So I left it alone and purchased a 870 Police, and a SPAS 12. In 2004 when I returned home from Iraq I learned the AWB was no more and decided to look on Gunbroker for silly shit and that's where I came across an auction for a Saiga12C for $600 and bought it on the spot. I know that was a lot for a Saiga12 back then but I didn't give a fuck, it was the one I wanted. Shortly after I found The Great Place, this forum, learned all the possibilities the Saiga12 had to offer, and found Tromix. I knew the next S12 I would purchase would be the S-17, and my better half has supported every purchase even the S-17. Shit she bought me a Desert Eagle .50 for this last anniversary. Damn I'm lucky to have married her. Well that is my story.

I finally got off the fence and bought my S-12 when Centerfire Systems ran a sale awhile back. I have a few AKs and wanted a shotgun in AK config. Only problem is my Saiga is a "vodka special" and is still at CGW for warranty work. I'm looking forward to getting her back.

• 4 weeks later...

A buddy of mine and I went shooting several years ago. He has a Vepr 7.62, real nice gun. I came home and did a google search looking for info on them. One of the hits was for this site. Browsed around the site and saw the S12. /*I thought an AK shotgun was about the coolest thing I had ever seen. A month later, and after paying to much on gunbroker, I had one.

I've been using a very modified 11-87 for years, and I have to say that I think the 11-87 fits and points better than the Saiga 12. But, the reload speed of the S12 is what makes the difference for 3 gun. Nothing can top the S12 for that.

Russ Phagan of Cav Arms posted a couple vids of the S12 in action at some 3 gun events in Arizona, that was a real eye opener and got me on the bandwagon. I'm using the Krebs sights, JT magwell and Surefire 12's and normally carry four of them, three in a dump pouch on my front. I'm sure you all already know, but that's a FAST reloading set up.