#1 sharkbit

sharkbit

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

I searched but didn't see this topic anywhere, but

what type of fairly cheap slugs & 00 buckshot are people successfully using in the drums?

I tried using some NobelSport 12 Gauge Law Enforcement 12 pellet 00 Buck in it but the shells were too tight in it, and wouldn't feed properly.
Posted Image

Thanks!
Posted Image

#2 gkcf

gkcf

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

You know, as many times as this has been asked, I don't think I've seen a solid answer yet. :unsure:

#3 Twinsen

Twinsen

Swamp Yankee

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

That stuff is not true 2.75", it is a magnum 2.75" 12 pellet 00 load. That's in between 2.75" (9 pellet) and 3" (15 pellet). So not only is it not 2.75", it is also roll crimped. 2.75" 12ga buckshot roll crimped loads aren't going to fit. 2.75" magnum rounds are not going to fit either. This is both. It won't work.

You need 2.75" 12ga star crimped loads. Not magnum over capacity stuff, and not roll crimped stuff.

#4 buck, 21-23 pellets are standard, depends on the wad.
#1 buck is 12 pellets standard, layering depends on wad, but most modern cup wads require stacks of 3 instead of stacks of 4, I don't know what factories use for #1, if they go reduced load increased velocity, they use better hulls, or if they just roll crimp.
00 buck is 9 pellets, stack depends on wad, but 3 stacks of 3 is shortest.
000 is 8 pellets, 4 stacks of 2.

Those are the most common sizes. Look for star crimped stuff. I don't follow who makes it, I just reload stuff using Winchester AA hulls. It's really cheap and it is perfectly made to my specifications. It fits the drum, it cycles using the drum, and it works in all of my 12ga shotguns.

Measure the length of a shell that works, take that measurement to where you buy ammo.

Edited by Twinsen, 24 July 2009 - 05:32 PM.

I might end up being around a lot more.
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 lilguy

lilguy

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:48 PM

I ran 40 rds of Rem 2 3/4 in mixed 00 and slugs and it functioned as hoped.

#5 Spartacus

Spartacus

Armed Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

what type of fairly cheap slugs & 00 buckshot are people successfully using in the drums?

I tried using some NobelSport 12 Gauge Law Enforcement 12 pellet 00 Buck in it but the shells were too tight in it, and wouldn't feed properly.
Posted Image

Thanks!

That's nice ammo but as you found out (and as Twinsen said) it's too long for the drum.
I have some of the same stuff and it cycles fine through the stick mags.

Anybody know if the Olin Military 00 buck is standard size 2.75" and "drum-able"?

EDIT: Estate slugs are cheap and run fine in the drum.

Edited by Spartacus, 25 July 2009 - 06:13 PM.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” (Marbury vs.Madison, 1803.)

#6 WHITE 3 GOLF

WHITE 3 GOLF

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

Posted Image

Thanks!

That's nice ammo but as you found out (and as Twinsen said) it's too long for the drum.
I have some of the same stuff and it cycles fine through the stick mags.

Anybody know if the Olin Military 00 buck is standard size 2.75" and "drum-able"?

EDIT: Estate slugs are cheap and run fine in the drum.

Yes it is and it cycles great.
"Where Oh Where are you tonight, why did you leave me here all alone, I search the world over and I thought I'd found true love, you met another and PFFFT you was gone."

#7 Spartacus

Spartacus

Armed Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

Son-of-a.....

I just bought a 250 rnd case of the Wolf 00 buck. I figured that would fit fine in the drum,
it's only 9 pellet, not 12 pellet like the NobelSport.

Nope!

So does anybody know of any good quality, full dram 00 buck that fits it the drum and doesn't
require vast amounts of $$$ like the Olin military stuff?

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” (Marbury vs.Madison, 1803.)

#8 Spartacus

Spartacus

Armed Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hey Mike, any input on this?

Seems like a lot of the 00 buck is really over the 2-3/4" spec.

What brand of 00 buck fits in the drum?

#9 gkcf

gkcf

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

Any Winchester should fit but, it's like a dollar per round.

I don't know of any "cheap" buckshot that fits.

#10 rgb03

rgb03

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

i am pretty sure anything that has the roll crimp like wolf and nobel and most of the other cheaper stuff will not work. the shells have to have the star crimp that you find on most other types of ammo. if you can find them walmart carries the 15 round value packs of remington buck shot and sluggers

#11 gkcf

gkcf

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

i am pretty sure anything that has the roll crimp like wolf and nobel and most of the other cheaper stuff will not work. the shells have to have the star crimp that you find on most other types of ammo. if you can find them walmart carries the 15 round value packs of remington buck shot and sluggers

Now, that's not entirely true, at least not with all ammo. Brenneke 2 3/4 slugs fit rather nicely and they are roll crimped. Not about to load up a drum with 20 short magnums that cost almost $2.50 per though.

It's just a matter of shell length and trial and error I think.

I think we should all compile a list of what works and what doesn't and sticky it at the top somewhere.

#12 Havoc308

Havoc308

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

Remington 15rd valu-pack slugs and 00 buck work, Fiochi 00 buck (full power) doesn't cycle
If you can't take it apart, you don't own it.

~~ Und meine Seele spannte Weit ihre Flügel aus, Flog durch die stillen Lande, Als flöge sie nach Haus ~~

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

Saiga=The ability to buy more rifles and shotguns than you can swim with, for the price of one Springfield Armory M1A

3%

#13 Floyd

Floyd

Resident Knife Maker

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:38 PM

Believe it or not, I shoot cheapass walmart winchester 7.5 birdshot thru my gun all the time and it only occasionally hiccups, but thats not just with the MD 20's, its with the factory mags. I'm only talking like 1 out of every 50 shots will jam, so I figure it's good to feed thru the gun.

I mean it's a helluva lot cheaper than 00 buck and if you're just gonna recreationally shoot, its not bad.

As for slugs, I was fairly amazed that Walmart now has 15 packs of remmy's for like 9$ a box?! Are you kidding me, thats a great price where I live. They all cycle really well and I like the performance of the cheapo sluggers. They're probably not the best, but they're accurate as hell out of my S12. I'd run a drum of them no problamo yo.

#14 Gibbles

Gibbles

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

I have been running winchester super X rifled slugs found at walmart through my drum, works great!

I think they cost about $9 per 15, cabelas also carries them for a little more.

#15 stansplace

stansplace

Proponent of Reality

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

I can't speak about the drums, because I don't have one.... Yet! However, I have tried the ammo that the OP posted, and I have seen it with the crimped ends and with a cardboard plug in the end of it.

The stuff with the cardboard clogged up my gas ports with cardboard in about ten rounds. I tried it several times to make sure, and I KNOW my gun will run.
308=LESSZOMBIES
A handguns primary purpose is to fight your way back to the rifle you
shouldn't have laid down in the first place.

Definition of Paranoia: The rational reaction to the realization of reality.

#16 Shandlanos

Shandlanos

Guy who finally figured out how to change his title

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:37 AM

There's nothing really cheap, but the best value I've found is Estate buckshot 25-round value packs. Cabela's carries them, if I recall correctly for 16.99 a box.
This would be my signature if I had anything important to say.

Bebo, ergo sum.

#17 Ruffian72

Ruffian72

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

Remington OO and 4 buck. slugs. Work flawless. :smoke:
Why Be Prey
MAKE A STAND

JPFO
NRA
KSRA

Minute Man

VFW

#18 aresv

aresv

ubi dubium ibi libertas

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

Maybe I'm an anomaly, but roll crimped 2 3/4" Brenneke KO slugs feed fine for me from an MD drum. I'll have to measure a Brenneke KO vs. Wolf or Nobel.

Otherwise I agree with the other comments in this thread: Estate, Remington and Winchester are all good choices for buckshot.
To be rational is to look the universe in the face and not flinch.

#19 Gibbles

Gibbles

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

Recently I tried S&B 00buck as cabeals had a 25rd box for $10, they had a weird crimping on the end, well it was more like a plug, they were listed as 2 3/4, but they were closer to 3in.
They would not load more than one round into the drum, but they worked fine in my AGP mags.
I need to get some more though, they were lots of fun. :super:

And I need double stack mags and Last round bolt hold open... :smoke:

#20 THE RIPPER

THE RIPPER

INFIDEL

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

If this helps, I got Remington OO buck (2 3/4) from the Sportsman's Guide that fits the drum. I got 250 rounds for a little over $200 with shipping. I am a member (small discount) there and I also had a $10 off coupon from previous purchases from them. If you aren't familiar with SG, when you purchase a certain amount from them, they send you a $10 off coupon on orders over $99.

Edited by THE RIPPER, 19 October 2009 - 01:12 PM.

#21 sharkbit

sharkbit

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

Anybody using Speer Lawman Rifled slugs in their drums?
Posted Image

#22 RED333

RED333

Did you hit the center today?

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

I ran some noble sport 1oz .650 round ball roll crimp and they worked great.

Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
I AM A REDNECK!!!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

As a wise man once said, "If they keep cornering and harassing the rattlesnake, it will have no option but to strike back."

#23 shankkole

shankkole

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

I got into reloading because of this. If you hand load, and make your own slugs and buck from wheel weights with powder , primer, cost average 20 to 40 cents for slug or buck. Of course if I paid myself 1 dollar an hour it would be cheaper to buy quality ammo, but not as fun plus I recover and reuse the lead. IF you get into reloading I have a few recipes that work great for me, that I would share.

#24 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

I got 12 in groups out of nobelsport .650 lead ball@ 25yds from sgammo with an SGM full choke, will run chokeless next time, i wasnt able to get a group tight enough to zero the s12. i am not happy with it, the last outing, ball would be consistently hitting left and had a great time shifting the rear sight left at the range. now i get a good paper plate size group at 25 yd. as compared to the centurion slugs, i was getting a 4 in group at 25yds. should have picked up a bunch more of those in hindsight

#25 RED333

RED333

Did you hit the center today?

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

I got 12 in groups out of nobelsport .650 lead ball@ 25yds from sgammo with an SGM full choke, will run chokeless next time, i wasnt able to get a group tight enough to zero the s12. i am not happy with it, the last outing, ball would be consistently hitting left and had a great time shifting the rear sight left at the range. now i get a good paper plate size group at 25 yd. as compared to the centurion slugs, i was getting a 4 in group at 25yds. should have picked up a bunch more of those in hindsight

Get you a Cobra adapter and a rifled choke tube and you will get paper plate groups at greater range.
http://forum.saiga-1...choke-adapters/
'

Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
I AM A REDNECK!!!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

As a wise man once said, "If they keep cornering and harassing the rattlesnake, it will have no option but to strike back."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users