Why do people always think that Atheism equates to having no morals?

Because I'm yet to meet one that has any. Although I will say I haven't met too many. I know quite a few Agnostics though. And they, like Christians, may or may not have morals.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But after all the rhetoric and trite sayings are done what it comes down to is you can't prove anything, you CHOOSE to believe. And the bottom line is you cannot rationally defend a unprovable thing, you can only defend your right to believe in it. I'll defend your right to believe in it too, just don't try to force it by deed or law upon the billions of other people who don't CHOOSE to believe as you do.

I have never in my life tried to force my beliefs on anyone. And it's called faith for a reason.

Back to the original question.

Whatever story of the origin you choose believe is inconsequential.

They are a damn good barometer for the way to live a proper life and that's good enough for me.

They are kind of a long way of saying "Do unto others as you would have others do to you".

Why do people always think that Atheism equates to having no morals?

Because I'm yet to meet one that has any. Although I will say I haven't met too many. I know quite a few Agnostics though. And they, like Christians, may or may not have morals.

SO the Atheists you have met thought that raping babies and tearing their skin from their flesh while they are still alive and then eating them in front of their parents was okay?

Quick question for all you people who somehow equate not believing in gods, devils, demons, ghosts, etc. to being immoral or evil in some way.

When was the last time you heard of atheists burning people at the stake, or torturing them with inquisitions, or beheading them, or trying to wipe out an entire race, etc, etc.??

And as far as the ten commandments go, yea, this all powerful, all knowing, all seeing, invisible god wrote them down on a couple of flat rocks and gave them to ONE guy to spread his word to the entire planet.

Ever heard of Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot? Atheists and some of the worse mass murderers this poor planet has ever seen. I'm tempted to throw Hitler in that pile too even though he was supposed to have been raised as catholic. Yet a bit of research should reveal to anyone that at best he was a pagan but all he really believed in was himself and his own power.

So you might want to put that self rightous high horse your riding back in the stable buddy because atheists can be just as evil as anyone else.

SO the Atheists you have met thought that raping babies and tearing their skin from their flesh while they are still alive and then eating them in front of their parents was okay?

Everyone knows they taste better cooked in a crock pot!

Religon and politicks,,,... I go with God on the Commandment deal...

n im just seeing if Nailoth is gunna get me for my spelling.

Quick question for all you people who somehow equate not believing in gods, devils, demons, ghosts, etc. to being immoral or evil in some way.

When was the last time you heard of atheists burning people at the stake, or torturing them with inquisitions, or beheading them, or trying to wipe out an entire race, etc, etc.??

And as far as the ten commandments go, yea, this all powerful, all knowing, all seeing, invisible god wrote them down on a couple of flat rocks and gave them to ONE guy to spread his word to the entire planet.

Ever heard of Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot? Atheists and some of the worse mass murderers this poor planet has ever seen. I'm tempted to throw Hitler in that pile too even though he was supposed to have been raised as catholic. Yet a bit of research should reveal to anyone that at best he was a pagan but all he really believed in was himself and his own power.

So you might want to put that self rightous high horse your riding back in the stable buddy because atheists can be just as evil as anyone else.

Stalin, Mao, & Pol Pot were political leaders of countries and did whatever they could to crush their enemies and stay in power. Just like most of the "god fear'n" leaders did. Down here on the "non-historical figure" level atheists in general don't blow up clinics or burn people at the stake. I could go on with crusades and holy wars but the list is far too extensive down through the last couple thousand years for me to list.

Calling me self righteous is a hoot, I don't wear my non-religion like a badge, stickers on my car, jewelry, etc. I don't call people out because they say merry christmas to me, or march in protest. I don't think I'm one bit better or more aware than anyone else because I don't believe. I sure as hell step up and respond though when faced with prejudice and ignorance.

Here on this very forum people post religious rhetoric all the time. I have seen posts where people blame atheists for the decline of the entire country! I have Jewish friends, christian, etc. It's never a problem because their educated enough and have enough social skills to discuss it rationally and can understand that only YOU can reach your own conclusions. They don't think your morally bankrupt or are a lost soul and angry at the world because you haven't reached the same conclusions they have.

One little jibe here, it has been shown in study after study that the less educated are the most fevered believers. How many scientists that belong to the Academy of Sciences believe in gods & devils? How about the greatest minds of modern times? You already know the answer.

In a way you prove my point exactly. No matter what you call yourself, you have absolutely no moral high ground over anyone else. And therein lies my problem with religion, that somehow after you choose one of the hundreds of religions or sub-sects of religions that you feel you're somehow "enlightened" and have a "duty" to spread the "truth".

You've never seen me start a religious attack thread, I just respond. :angel: :angel:

Back to the original question.

Whatever story of the origin you choose believe is inconsequential.

They are a damn good barometer for the way to live a proper life and that's good enough for me.

They are kind of a long way of saying "Do unto others as you would have others do to you".

I prefer "Do unto to others before they do unto you"

So how long before this thread ends up in the fight club or political section....?

Three things I strive to not start threads about (or even post about):

1. Religion

2. Race

3. Politics

Those three topics can cause more unrest than anything else when tossed out in a group like we have here....just sayin...

Lets ask the Russian about that, man......

My intention for creating the political section was for religeon AND politics, and Im sure site owners understand that.

Too often are the two combined. They are one and the same. YOUR BELIEFS.

maybe fight club......but NOT general. this is no "general discussion".

I completely disagree, Mike.

Lets ask the Russian about that, man......

My intention for creating the political section was for religeon AND politics, and Im sure site owners understand that.

Too often are the two combined. They are one and the same. YOUR BELIEFS.

maybe fight club......but NOT general. this is no "general discussion".

I completely disagree, Mike.

Don't worry Bi, it will probably be in the FC by morning.

will, excuse me?

you cannot address me as BEN? or BIAGIO?

Jeeez, what are you on tonight?

Bi IS the start of Biagio!

And the last time I looked, proper names started with capital letters.

As far as "Ben" goes, you already pitched a fit when I called you that, so now you're changing your mind?

I swear I don't know a single female that is this fickle!

Guess what else starts with "Bi"......

(That should get this moved)

Gas on the fire!!!!!

Atheist's have no SOUL!!!

Dog's without a leash? Ant's even?

I know a thousand scribe's wrote the ten commandment's, but until I die I will not meet the one that Commanded them.

My soul is safe.

Subjective Morality is the result of people REJECTING Absolute Morality and those with not belief in a Higher Power or a Reckoning after coporeal existence has ended merely pick and choose right and wrong from whatever position they can justify in their own minds.

I serve a higher morality that calls upon me to weigh the needs/rights/worth of all other human beings even if I dislike them.

Without Hashem I would serve my every whim and lust only constrained by "Enlightened Self Interest" and the occasional twinge of empathy and many of the choices I have made that benefitted others in their walk and prevented me from making decisions I might later regret.

Judeo-Christian morality is the mother of civilization, human rights, charity and any concept of universal ethics with all other competitive beliefs falling to the wayside long before they resulted in the kind of universal appeal generated by the words of Hashem..

From Hamurabi to the Sophists to Asian Esoteric belief there has never been a system of agreed upon values and ethics that resulted in the kind of global growth and change that Biblical Morality has and the spread of it alone is evidence of it's miraculous nature from Hard Headed and Greedy descendants of the Phoenicians and Babylonians(That's what Jews are genetically) to European Cavemen painting themselves blue and raiding and killing each other transformed into the purveyors of a universal system of ethics that had allowed human survival and culture to flourish.

From a public legal system to human rights to technology and space travel Judeo-Christian Civilization is the "proof in the pudding" that a being of immense wisdom and subtlety guided the course of Abrahamic religion and spread it across the earth for OUR benefit.

The perversion of these ideas by false religious men and the rejection of these ideals by athiests and humanists is why this great civilization is degrading into the mess that it is today but the same books predicted all of that as well didn't they ;)

God help us if everyone rejected God's Injunctions tomorrow because civilization would cease to exist overnight.

Besides the 10 Commandments we have prophecy which we can watch unfold in history books and even on CNN

I prefer the char-broiled nun.

Yeah but they made me gain weight so I've been trying to kick the habit.

Char-broiled, crock pot, whatever. If you guys haven't tried beer can baby you are missing out on something special. I like it with cooked with just a bit of Molech sauce.

....... and spread it across the earth for OUR benefit.

Well I have to agree. I have never , ever had anything against people having the same kind of good morals I was raised with....no matter what they want to believe will happen after they die.

But I do take issue with this one though....

The perversion of these ideas by false religious men and the rejection of these ideals by athiests and humanists is why this great civilization is degrading into the mess that it is today....<snip>...

Who says athiests and humanists are rejecting the IDEALS? They, as well as agnostics, may not agree with all the stories about people walking on water, virgin's having babies, parting seas, etc..., but they can still have a great respect for the actual ideals. And yes they can still have morals. Like was said earlier...who cares who wrote the rules.....they are still good ones to live by. And if some fucktard wants them stripped from courthouse walls, because of the rest of the stuff that goes along with them...well I think that's stoopid. I have no prob with bowing my head at prayer. It's respectful to those praying around me. The morons who want to ban prayer in schools or public places are being disrespectful of their fellow man's beliefs IMO. It's uncalled for....just deal for a few minutes and it will be over...

God help us if everyone rejected God's Injunctions tomorrow because civilization would cease to exist overnight.

I gotta draw the line here though.....don't tell me you actually believe that. May lightning strike me dead if

....poof!.....hey where'd cobra go?... :haha:

I absolutely believe it Cobra and we have been watching it in slow motion for the last 50 years.

Condense the impact of Atheism over the last 50 years into a single day and increase the number of people who will make totally subjective moral decisions based upon their own feelings and desires without regard for a higher authority and civilization will pop like a balloon in a handful of hours..