.308 Saiga or CETME?

I have both a Century CETME and a Century L1A1. Both shoot fairly well 17 out of 20 in the black at 100 yds from the bench with a rest and even better when both scopes are on x6 on the CETME and x9 on the L1A1. I don't have an S-308 but I do have an S-20. Had early problems with the shotgun with FTE but after opening the gas ports and using different ammo, it works fine. The fit and finish on the CETME and the L1A1 are fine(guess I got good ones). Everything on the S-20 is great except for my welding job on the FSB but I fixed it later, just took a little practice with the MIG welder. Hope this helps you out but I agree with the others and you should get both because each serves a purpose.

Sincerely,

nyclu3

I've had 'em all (M-14, Fal, Cetme, 49/56, S-308), and the only one I still have is the S-308 (actually 2 of them). While I love the milsurps, the Saiga just meets ALL the requirements with no equivocations. Ruggedness, versatility, any ammo, high cap, low cap, scope, accurate, super reliable, cheap parts, factory made (no kit), great finish. May not have all the history of the others, but it's still an AK, and there's no other rifle I'd rather have in a SHTF. But that's just me.

I had considered a cetme or Fal before getting my saiga. while mags may be cheaper for them two, everything else seemed to favor the saiga. If you read up on the Fal or the cetme you will read alot about lemons, You may well get a good rifle, but bad ones seem to be out there. There seems to be more options for the saiga in making it exactly what you want. On the plus also, the saiga was designed for the more powerfull 308 win loadings which will always be readily availble. Try finding 308 nato everywhere. M14 or M1A and the AR10 might be nice, but look at how many saigas you could get for the price of one of those. Also, nothing beats an AK action for reliability.

I think the CETME is a reliable design, however, most floating around here are made by Century and like all of their products can't be counted on for reliablity. The FAL is a great design, simpler than the CETME, but good luck finding one for less than a a $350 Saiga 308.

You're not kidding about trigger pull, the saiga 308 has the worst factory trigger I've ever seen...once converted to PG with G2 its just like any descent AK. I've had those same guns but I refused to pay to have my CETME fixed to function reliably with ALL mags but instead sold it off and bought a PTR91. If you are looking for light weight you should try the SA58 carbine, wow that's a light gun! I got a great deal on mine, cost me less than the PTR :lol:

Saiga all the way. I had the Cetme and it just wasn't for me it was a pain to disassemble for cleaning and the action kept binding up so I got rid of it and never regretted it one bit. Got my Saiga and order 2 20rounders from FBMG and am much happier. The Saiga breaks down just like the AK ( very simple and easy). So I say Saiga.