A buddy of mine wants to sell his Auto-Ordinance Thompson .45 to me for $500. I don't know much about it other than he bought it used, has only fired a box of ammo through it, and it comes with some stick magazines (unknown capacity) and a sling. No case or drum. Where can I find some good information and pricing on these guns? Maybe even a forum?

Try Subguns.com. Ask on the Non-NFA board. Try to have as much info as possible- age, serial #, barrel length,etc.

Look on Auction Arms and Gunbroker auction sites. Also Gunsamerica. I am not too familiar with the gun in question, but $500 seems a fair price.

I went ahead and bought it. He gave me three 30 round stick mags and although it has the m1 forarm he is looking for the a1 (pistol grip) forearm and knocked $50 off the price since that's what a new pistol grip forearm costs. Came with a leather sling and a box of shells.

Son of a gun is heavy! According to Auto-Ordnance website it weighs 13 pounds and I believe them. The wood is unscarred and the guy I bought it from believes it was made in the 70's but he doesn't know.

tommy1.jpg

You did well. Lots of history surrounding the Thompson 'Trench Broom'. Arrived on the scene too late to play a factor in WWI. Military and police purchases kept the design afloat through the 20's and 30's. Colt made them as well. The buildup to WWII saw a bunch given/sold to our future allies. When we joined the war, Thompsons were popular with whoever was fortunate to receive them. Despite the weight, they were easy to aim and fire. Recoil was very manageable and the low rate of fire enabled ammo saving burst fire. They did require attention per cleaning and lubrication. The machined surfaces could suffer stoppages from battlefield mud and grunge. As did most of our small arms during the war, manufacturing changes occurred to simplify and strengthen the design. Wartime M1s did not have the fine machining and blued surfaces of the prewar units. The ability to use a drum was dropped. Stick mag insertion was made easier. Still, there was a big reassuring bunch of American steel in your hands when you held a Thompson. Many soldiers balked when asked to turn in their Thompson for the lighter, but just as effective M3 'Greaseguns'.

Enjoy your new purchase.

catch me on the live chat and I will try to identify appraise it for you. I dont see any auto-ordnace that exactly matches it, so i cant really guess on it at this point other than it looks nice, and the new ones are quite a bit more than 500 off the shelf.

catch me on the live chat and I will try to identify appraise it for you. I dont see any auto-ordnace that exactly matches it, so i cant really guess on it at this point other than it looks nice, and the new ones are quite a bit more than 500 off the shelf.

Well, I did some looking and the serial number shows it to be made in 1976 with production of semi-auto AO 1927s starting in 1975. I got the vertical foregrip from the seller and put it on. I lose the sling like that but I think it looks much better. Now I just need a nice way to mount it on the wall.

Edited by MidSSouth

i would guess its the a-1 deluxe carbine, but those say they have finger grooved forearm grip on em...

if its a standard, it should ahve a plain barrel and no comp on it.

so im confused.

first guess above is worth 650 without accessories book value in 98%

and second guess above is worth 500 in 98% without accessories

We just got in one of those at Gilbert's today (assuming that's the style that takes drums). Also got in the GI model that doesn't accept drums. If I saw one for $500 in good shape I'd take it. I'm thinking that the model you have came to us with a Thompson hard case, a stick mag and a 50rd drum and its priced at 900 something if I remember correctly.

yehp, right in that range KY......

a good example of why you should keep stock parts for guns.....only way to tell what they are at times, as well as value on them.

you got a killer deal.

850 + 66 +66 + 66+ 139 is where i figure yours at midsouth

3 AO made mags 30 rd. ar 66 each eval. price.