Best magazines for the Saiga 12 and best choke tube for 3 gun

I recently purchased a Saiga 12 for some local 3 gun competitions and after 100 rounds of cheap Federal ammo I couldn't be happier. I had NO malfunction with a variety of magazines (5, 10, 13 and a 20 round drum) all of which were from different manufacturers and it cycled as quickly as I could pull the trigger.

With that being said, does anyone have an opinion on which magazine manufacturer is the most reliable?? I could also use some input on which choke tube to use for 3 gun. The modified choke that came with it has a pretty liberal spread. I would prefer an improved cylinder but I don't know how much that will tighten the spread and I really don't have an extra hundred bucks lying around to purchase the poly-choke.

Thanks in advance.

Get a poly-choke unless you're gonna have your barrel internally threaded.

AGPs are the only mags i've had enough rounds through to actually trust. BUT i'm starting to use Surefires. We'll see how they do.

................ I could also use some input on which choke tube to use for 3 gun. The modified choke that came with it has a pretty liberal spread. I would prefer an improved cylinder but I don't know how much that will tighten the spread and I really don't have an extra hundred bucks lying around to purchase the poly-choke............

I thought improved has less choke than modified, so if you are trying to tighten your spreads wouldn't changing from a modified to an improved choke be going in the wrong direction? Anyway, you could always just get a Saiga 12 Izhmash factory full choke. They are under $40 and you could be sure your patterns would tighten up.

http://www.saigastock.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=163

Edited by Frogfoot

You are correct and I was mistaken. The factory choke is open not modified and thanks for the suggestion.

................ I could also use some input on which choke tube to use for 3 gun. The modified choke that came with it has a pretty liberal spread. I would prefer an improved cylinder but I don't know how much that will tighten the spread and I really don't have an extra hundred bucks lying around to purchase the poly-choke............

I thought improved has less choke than modified, so if you are trying to tighten your spreads wouldn't changing from a modified to an improved choke be going in the wrong direction? Anyway, you could always just get a Saiga 12 Izhmash factory full choke. They are under $40 and you could be sure your patterns would tighten up.

Which choke would be the best for shooting slugs??

You are correct and I was mistaken. The factory choke is open not modified and thanks for the suggestion.

For rifled slugs cylinder bore is safest, since if a choke is installed the slug might get stuck in it when trying to pass through after firing, in effect creating a situation just like firing a shotgun with a blocked barrel (any time I shoot rifled slugs I go with no choke or cylinder bore). Though I have never tried it myself I have heard lead slugs can safely be shot through an improved choke, because improved is such a light choke and lead slugs are soft enough to squeeze through it without any trouble (I would not try this with a slug made of a harder material like brass though). However, as far as I know factory Saiga 12 chokes are not available in improved, so unless you get your Saiga 12 threaded internally for some alternate maker's (like Remington) chokes, improved choke isn't even an option (I haven't heard firing rifled slugs through an improved choke helps accuracy anyway). For sabot slugs (which are of course unrifled) a rifled choke would be needed to get any kind of accuracy out of them, though aside from the very hard to find Izhmash factory rifled chokes, offhand I don't know of any place that supplies a rifled choke for a Saiga 12 with factory threads.

For rifled slugs cylinder bore is safest, since if a choke is installed the slug might get stuck in it when trying to pass through after firing, in effect creating a situation just like firing a shotgun with a blocked barrel (any time I shoot rifled slugs I go with no choke or cylinder bore). Though I have never tried it myself I have heard lead slugs can safely be shot through an improved choke, because improved is such a light choke and lead slugs are soft enough to squeeze through it without any trouble (I would not try this with a slug made of a harder material like brass though). However, as far as I know factory Saiga 12 chokes are not available in improved, so unless you get your Saiga 12 threaded internally for some alternate maker's (like Remington) chokes, improved choke isn't even an option (I haven't heard firing rifled slugs through an improved choke helps accuracy anyway). For sabot slugs (which are of course unrifled) a rifled choke would be needed to get any kind of accuracy out of them, though aside from the very hard to find Izhmash factory rifled chokes, offhand I don't know of any place that supplies a rifled choke for a Saiga 12 with factory threads.

You can safely fire soft lead slugs (Foster-style) such as Remington Sluggers through Poly-chokes and internal threaded chokes such as Remchokes and Winchokes with no ill effect to the shotgun barrel or choke tube. Lead slugs will group the best through cylinder-bore chokes and fair through full choke tubes. The design of a hollow-base lead slug actually allows it to pass through barrel constrictions such as choke tubes or forcing cones.

My thoughts on chokes and slugs as well as function that is being asked about by OP -

What I have found to work best on SMOOTHEBORE barrels on shotguns, is improved cylinder (just a slight choke) seems to work great on foster type slugs. on MY saiga-12, I have a factory cut barrel, unthreaded, that just loves slugs and measures as improved cylinder at the muzzle.

there are improved mod chokes as well, which is a step TIGHTER than modified.

A poly-choke will be your best bet, and as saiganoobie (who isnt so new anymore and is running his handle out) is good all around, and is safe with foster type slugs on full.

occasionally, with a full choke and foster slugs, you will get a "flyer" however. maybe oh, one in 50 shots or more? so you SHOULD TRY to set a poly choke back to open, if you can, in a stage. I recommend doing this with your trigger hand, and watch your gear on the trigger when you change the position of the shotgun, so as to prevent an AD.