Notes from my RAM Magazine Release change over.

I got one of these pieces last week and did the change a few days ago. Its really easy and quick. The hardest part was drilling out the soviet super metal factory rivet. Was happy to see the factory mag latch has coining. This is something RAM could include to improve future batches.

I did a side by side comparison to show how much metal i had to remove. The metal comes off very quick with a dremel. I would recommend only starting with a dremel then switch to a hand file when close. I used one with a larger surface than the latch so i could get a smooth, even surface. I also tried to recreate the angle that matches the factory latch. I presume this helps with lockup with different style mags.

I would also suggest start with filing the upper contact point (Contacts the magazine) till it is a near a fit with a mag before beginning the lower contact point (contacts at the triggerguard). Switch back and forth until you get better mag lock but still very snug. I went a touch to far and now have some mag wobble which i did not with the factory latch. Its not enough to cause misfeeds, but I may try again with a fresh one.

I found it easiest to hold the spring during installation by going through the magazine well with a long nose set of needle nose pliers.

It will seat above the trigger gaurd without a magazine installed but matches up to the lowest part of triggergaurd with one installed.

Side by side comparison.

3766806317_6bf94da905.jpg

Shot of the coining of factory latch.

3766806621_e50744f74b_o.jpg

I also filed down the interdiction tab while I had the mag latch out.

• 4 weeks later...

i recently got a bulgy circle 10 mag. it would not latch up with the Ram mag release at first, even though my surefires + factory mags did. it was due to the angled ramp on the back of the mag. I was able to mod the Ram to work though. The original mag release has an angle from the rivet hole to the top of the release. The Ram is straight up from rivet to top. I had to grind some of the material off the Ram to angle it rearwards. The mags are able to lock in now, but i think i need to grind more off. I hope this wont weaken the Ram to much.

Maybe future model design will incorporate this angle.