Want to load a full mag with the bolt closed?

I got my bolt and bolt carrier modded by Jack Travers.

He did the following:

1. Bead blasted the bolt & carrier
  2. Re-machined and re-contoured and polished both bolt and carrier smooth

He can also hard chrome the carrier too.

gallery_15019_317_14691.jpg

I used my new Gen2 Promags (ya, you read that right). I loaded it with the bolt closed, pulled it back to load the chamber and bang, bang, band, bang......bang. No FTE and no FTF. What did I use? 7-1/2 shot Federal from Walmart. Then I used Winchester AA #9 birdshot. Ran flawlessly. Then changed the gas setting from #2 to #1. Thats right #1. Bang, bang, bang, bang..... bang.

To sum it up. The Gen2 Promags worked flawlessly, The new bolt & carrier fired flawlessly. All on cheap low brass ammo.

*Edited to represent as an individual's review*

Edited by FrustratedInCali
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my bolt and bolt carrier modded by Jack Travers.

He did the following:

1. Bead blasted the bolt & carrier
  2. Re-machined and re-contoured and polished both bolt and carrier smooth

He can also hard chrome the carrier too.

gallery_15019_317_14691.jpg

I used my new Gen2 Promags (ya, you read that right). I loaded it with the bolt closed, pulled it back to load the chamber and bang, bang, band, bang......bang. No FTE and no FTF. What did I use? 7-1/2 shot Federal from Walmart. Then I used Winchester AA #9 birdshot. Ran flawlessly. Then changed the gas setting from #2 to #1. Thats right #1. Bang, bang, bang, bang..... bang.

To sum it up. The Gen2 Promags worked flawlessly, The new bolt & carrier fired flawlessly. All on cheap low brass ammo.

*Edited to represent as an individual's review*

Winchester AA #9 on #1 might not be a good thing if you want to fire Magnum loads. Your system might be overgased. I recommend the GUNFIXER Plug. The -1 setting reduces the gas flow. This will prevent damage when you fire 3in Magnum loads.

That bolt looks real nice and shinny .

I can load a full stick mag with the bolt closed on my S-12 right out of the box. Was you not able to load a full mag?

Got a good pic installed?

Edited by havok

If I remember from the thread that was deleted, and not edited leaving the relevant info, Jack said he charged 125, which covered the recontouring, bead blasting, and hard chrome, and then told another member it was 55 or 60, i forget, if the member wanted Jack to just recontour a bolt he bubba'd, and bead blast it, without chroming it.

IF i recall, your best bet is to PM or email Jack Travers.

If I remember from the thread that was deleted, and not edited leaving the relevant info, Jack said he charged 125, which covered the recontouring, bead blasting, and hard chrome, and then told another member it was 55 or 60, i forget, if the member wanted Jack to just recontour a bolt he bubba'd, and bead blast it, without chroming it.

IF i recall, your best bet is to PM or email Jack Travers.

You got it wrong.

I asked how much it would cost to have a bolt carrier *I* bubba'd bead blasted and hard chromed...

And i believe his quote was $50. If this is incorect i'm sure jack will correct you when you contact him regarding his services.

Thas coo. I don't want a chromey-shiny bolt/bolt carrier. :) I also don't want a S-12 that'll cycle shitty low-brass birdshot on setting 1. That's an overgassed system, (which will lead to inordinate wear-and-tear), as someone else has mentioned.

Whatever happened to this thread, whatever changes were made to the OP and the replies, (I suspect it had something to do with a certain party not being a S-12 forum vendor at the time), my opinion remains. Thas coo for folks who like shiny parts, ("bling"), on their guns. I am not one of those people.

I'm glad you are so pleased with the work you had done on your S-12, Cali. Be sure to examine the damage done to your rear trunnion on a regular basis. ;)

STILL.... I think that it is only fair to point out that the instructions to do the bolt recontouring are right here on this board and can be done easily in 30-45 minutes....

The hard Chromeing, that might be worthwhile.

Whatever happened to this thread, whatever changes were made to the OP and the replies, (I suspect it had something to do with a certain party not being a S-12 forum vendor at the time), my opinion remains.

Jack Travers has been a Business Member here for awhile.

Whatever happened to this thread, whatever changes were made to the OP and the replies, (I suspect it had something to do with a certain party not being a S-12 forum vendor at the time), my opinion remains.

Jack Travers has been a Business Member here for awhile.

At least 8 months. If not more.

Thas coo. I don't want a chromey-shiny bolt/bolt carrier. :) I also don't want a S-12 that'll cycle shitty low-brass birdshot on setting 1. That's an overgassed system, (which will lead to inordinate wear-and-tear), as someone else has mentioned.

Whatever happened to this thread, whatever changes were made to the OP and the replies, (I suspect it had something to do with a certain party not being a S-12 forum vendor at the time), my opinion remains. Thas coo for folks who like shiny parts, ("bling"), on their guns. I am not one of those people.

I'm glad you are so pleased with the work you had done on your S-12, Cali. Be sure to examine the damage done to your rear trunnion on a regular basis. ;)

Not to change the subject, but you were right about the AA Kobra sights. Mine quit on me. The really can't take the shock of 12ga recoil.

Not to change the subject, but you were right about the AA Kobra sights. Mine quit on me. The really can't take the shock of 12ga recoil.

And yet, my "Crappy/Cheap" Burris Fastfire has about 600 rounds through it on my shotgun and still works 100%.

Thas coo. I don't want a chromey-shiny bolt/bolt carrier. :)

Hard chrome when not polished leaves a matte grey look only slightly shinier than my currently sandblasted bolt carrier does. I want it for durability and rust resistance.

Edited by Nailbomb

Let me try and clarify some points here for you.

First; Undercutting/blending the bolt and carrier is primarily to facilitate loading on a CLOSED BOLT.

Second; It does free up the action by reducing friction.

Hardchroming the carrier is to provide lubricity, wear resistance and it has an asthetic value.

This service in no way whatsoever will effect how the weapon platform previously cycled on setting 1 or 2.

I AM a business member of this forum. We have been in business for many years and are considered one of the most reputable gunsmithing business and custom gun builders in the industry.

Every service we offer is professionaly performed on the best equipment and know how in the industry.

If you feel you are Dremmel Tool Certified, then go ahead and tear into that irreplaceable Carrier and Bolt Assembly and enjoy the satisfaction of doing the work yourself.

But, if you want the work performed by a professional service at a reasonable cost then feel free to do so. That is the beauty of free enterprise and the right to choose without being criticized. (I would hope)

We are a full service Class I Gunsmithing service and machine shop. All work is performed in house except for refinishing (Parkeizing, Blueing, Ionbond, Hardchroming, etc.).

Visit the website at: wwwmcguns.com

NOTE: Please call me if you have questions, I don't have time to keep checking the various forums or email me at:

jdtravers@hotmail.com

Regards,

Jack Travers

561 317-9096

Millennium Custom/JT Engineering

mcguns.com

First; Undercutting/blending the bolt and carrier is primarily to facilitate loading on a CLOSED BOLT.

Hardchroming the carrier is to provide lubricity, wear resistance and it has an asthetic value.

This service in no way whatsoever will effect how the weapon platform previously cycled on setting 1 or 2.

I AM a business member of this forum. We have been in business for many years and are considered one of the most reputable gunsmithing business and custom gun builders in the industry.

Every service we offer is professionaly performed on the best equipment and know how in the industry.

If you feel you are Dremmel Tool Certified, then go ahead and tear into that irreplaceable Carrier and Bolt Assembly and enjoy the satisfaction of doing the work yourself.

But, if you want the work performed by a professional service at a reasonable cost then feel free to do so. That is the beauty of free enterprise and the right to choose without being criticized. (I would hope)

We are a full service Class I Gunsmithing service and machine shop. All work is performed in house except for refinishing (Parkeizing, Blueing, Ionbond, Hardchroming, etc.).

NOTE: Please call me if you have questions, I don't have time to keep checking the various forums or email me at:

jdtravers@hotmail.com

Regards,

Jack Travers

561 317-9096

mcguns.com

Are you still making the bolt on mag wells? Is CSS going to sell them?

I can load a full10 roundl mag with no problems with the bolt closed.

Golly, you must be a big boy. I bet you go to the bathroom all by yourself to.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Won't happen again.

Jack

[quote

Are you still making the bolt on mag wells? Is CSS going to sell them?

I had a run of 100 made and just got them back from the Anodizer this afternoon. They may be purchased directly from Gregg at CSS, Millennium Custom or from myself.

I will start a new thread as soon as I get them packaged and ready to go sometime this evening.

Regards,

Jack

Jack

:haha2:

Ok, that was shitty and catty, but still funny as hell!

And I can load on a closed bolt too.

But my bolt is polished the old fashioned way.

By putting rounds downrange.

Would have been a lot quicker to pay to have it done.......

....just sayin'.....

Jack

:haha2:

Ok, that was shitty and catty, but still funny as hell!

And I can load on a closed bolt too.

But my bolt is polished the old fashioned way.

By putting rounds downrange.

Would have been a lot quicker to pay to have it done.......

....just sayin'.....

...and cheaper...

Some of you guys just dont get it

The guns Jack builds and the guns I build are designed for competition

They are not mall ninja crap with spikes and stupid shit hanging all over them

In the games we shoot one half of a second in a course of fire may be the difference between first place and fortieth place.

And we dont shoot against Bubba out in some corn field.

We have to compete against the VERY BEST three gun shooters in the WORLD!!!

One malfunction...one missed mag change ...one miss with a slug at 100+ yard target...and you lose the match

And the matches are pretty big time stuff...Next week I shoot the Rocky Mountain 3 gun at the NRA Whittington center in Raton N.M.

It is one of the smaller matches...the Prize table is only $150,000.00 I have seen many over $300,000.00

So you see we have to have or build the best stuff that money can buy.

If your stuff dont work...you lose, Any single part that fails or causes you some disadvantage you lose.

Jack builds guns to Win...and so do I.

Jim

I think most of us do get it Jim.

In fact for a few of us, our lives depend on how well our weapon functions.

The others, I wouldn't worry about.

They wouldn't get it if you beat them about the head and face with it.

I can load a full10 roundl mag with no problems with the bolt closed.

Jack

chill out, take it easy,its going to be ok lol,the chrome looks good ,im just saying that it dosent take a rocket scientist to load the saiga with the bolt closed a monkey could do it. unless your old and weak "whoops"

Edited by thx1971

jdtravers@hotmail.com

Regards,

Jack Travers

561 317-9096

mcguns.com

Ok, man. Honestly I admire the examples of your work that I've seen. As for being a business member, my guess that you were not previously was exactly that.. I was guessing at why this thread was "altered" by Juggernaut. I see I was wrong. I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, and I'm sorry it came across that way.

What you've posted here seems to be at least slightly at odds with the OP, which is what I was taking some issue with. Perhaps I'm completely wrong about this, but it seems to me that any gun that will cycle Federal bulk low-brass birdshot on setting 1 is overgassed. It wouldn't affect me personally that much anyway, since I use a Gunfixr gas plug, and should be able to correct for it by dialing back to 1+/-1 settings, but many/most S-12 owners seem to use the factory plug.

You seem to indicate that if the OP is accurately describing the performance of his shotgun, it is not due to the work you've performed on his bolt/bolt carrier. He was directly attributing this performance, (cycling low-brass Federal on setting 1), to your work. He must be wrong and some other factor is causing his gun to perform that way.

Again, I see how it could be taken that way, but I was not trying to disparage your business or the work that you do. It seems very impressive, and I'm strongly considering ordering one of your magwells.

Thank you for your informative response to my fairly snide post, (I really should stop posting while inebriated :blush: ), but understand, as I said, I never intended it as an attack on your craftsmanship or status on this forum.

Edited by post-apocalyptic