Want to load a full mag with the bolt closed?

OK, I'll settle this. I have the best of three worlds on one of my guns. I have the modified bolt from Cobra, the magwell from Jack and the charging handled from Tromix. All very quality pieces of ART. SO THERE, it is settled :haha::lolol:

I really hope that this issue is now resolved. It really does not do anyone any good to see two fine gentlemen who have personally helped me out in the past go at it with each other. And thank you both for being BIG enough to step up and try and resolve the issues for everyone to see. Honorable.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Nice!

Is that a BlackJack Selector?

Azrial, It is a Krebs that I had to do some minor fitting with, but it works great.

Nicely done, I have been thinking about going that way as well for some time.

sslbho.jpg

Dinzag will do all the work for you...

I have on both my S12's

http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/sslbho.html

Juggs,

Thanks for the heads up on the selector. I must have missed that one, but it will be definately considered on the new current build that is in progress right now.

looks like 35 bucks for the work on your safety lever....

http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_12/saiga_12.html

I bought my Krebs from CSS, I guess there are several different ways to get to the same objective.

Exactly.....

looks like 35 bucks for the work on your safety lever....

http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_12/saiga_12.html

I bought my Krebs from CSS, I guess there are several different ways to get to the same objective.

Exactly.....

I have seen one that had the extended piece at the top to be used on underfolder stocks, but I can't remember where I saw it.

OK, I'll settle this. I have the best of three worlds on one of my guns. I have the modified bolt from Cobra, the magwell from Jack and the charging handled from Tromix. All very quality pieces of ART. SO THERE, it is settled :haha::lolol:

I really hope that this issue is now resolved. It really does not do anyone any good to see two fine gentlemen who have personally helped me out in the past go at it with each other. And thank you both for being BIG enough to step up and try and resolve the issues for everyone to see. Honorable.

Nice, smooth S12 there GPD!

This is going to be my last reply, because seriously, this is counter productive and anyone who truly is an experience machinist or gunsmith will know what I am talking about.

I take off .050 from the flat of the bolt to start with and make the bolt dimensionally the same all the way arround. It takes me less than 3 minutes from setup to completion and it is a precision cut. It is a round section into a FLAT section the first shell passes under to lock the magazine into the receiver. I machine the .050 from the flat blended into the round section.

This is not a waste of machine time, it is utilizing a machine to SAVE time.

Why the fuck would I want to waste time doing it by hand when I can do it by machine. This is what they are for. I do my blending and final polishing on the wheels/sanders, but the bulk of the cut is with a milling machine. You are possibly not taking off enough materiel if you are doing it all by hand and you will not gain the full potential of this modification. Maybe you are, BUT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN INITIAL INDEX CUT TO GAUGE YOUR BLENDING, then it is all guess work doing it by hand. This is the difference between a machinist/gunsmith and some guy working on a gun.

Come on guys, I NEVER said mine is bigger or better than yours. I provide a service, a customer commented on it, and you showed your ass. Leave it alone. I never even advertised this service, but you are doing a good job for me!!!

And by the way, I did his bolt for FREE. I did it to help him out because I could. I help a lot of people in this regard so they can enjoy the potential of the Saiga 12 Shotgun. No good deed goes unpunished.

Regards,

Jack

As a seasoned machinist I must admit after just moding 9 bolts today Jacks method seems to be the best if you have the equipment and tooling.

The first cut to blend flat into the stem is the key. As Jack states this establishes a point at which all other blending starts.

I setup at a 15 degree angle and removed .045, just be careful not to cut into the bolt head bore. I've had to repair one of my personal bolts so he careful.

If you are doing this by hand it will take longer just be patient because the rewards are great!! Full mags inserted without a struggle.

Frankly, I'm still confused as to why the Russians aren't doing stuff like this already and from way back when. It seems that if they're equipping their military with these, that someone in that group with machinist and gun smithing skills... or even a soldier... would've said <in Russian> "Hey, you know what'd be a huge advantage? If Izmash made these so that you could load a mag on a closed bolt... Look Ivan, all you have to do is modify the bolt and polish the damn thing!"

From what I can tell, the obsession to trick out and max out the performance of firearms isn't a 100% America-only trait. Somewhere, I have to imagine that Izmash lurks on threads like this or RAA reports back to them. I wonder how much they laugh at us.

I think i'll challenge jack to a reload race... he didn't say I had to put up 1000 against his. :)

You don't, but you must be a glutton for punishment. What did I beat you by the last time we had a shotgun race, I believe it was by about 20 seconds? But word has it you HAVE been practicing, so it should be pretty close this time. Maybe only 17/18 seconds.

Bring it on!!!

Jack

Frankly, I'm still confused as to why the Russians aren't doing stuff like this already and from way back when. It seems that if they're equipping their military with these, that someone in that group with machinist and gun smithing skills... or even a soldier... would've said <in Russian> "Hey, you know what'd be a huge advantage? If Izmash made these so that you could load a mag on a closed bolt... Look Ivan, all you have to do is modify the bolt and polish the damn thing!"

From what I can tell, the obsession to trick out and max out the performance of firearms isn't a 100% America-only trait. Somewhere, I have to imagine that Izmash lurks on threads like this or RAA reports back to them. I wonder how much they laugh at us.

We do have (at least) a couple of Russian members here. I don't think they laugh at us at all. I do think they say sometimes:

(In Russian) Oh goddamn, why did he do that? WTF?

My favorite is when one of our Russian members commented on one of the new magwell designs....

"Why does everyone comment on this design so positively? It looks terrible!" (Not an exact quote, but close)

I don't care who laughs or what it looks like, If I can load and deliver rounds downrange faster than Specnaz, what's to laugh at?

Did they laugh when we beat them to the moon?

nope....they watched in amazement with the rest of the world

They probably didn't laugh when we beat them to the moon... but I'm sure there are many ironic chuckles as we begin scrapping our space shuttle program and still rely on Russian Soyuz rockets to service the ISS.

Maybe laugh was the wrong term and "WTF!?" is a closer reaction.

I think i'll challenge jack to a reload race... he didn't say I had to put up 1000 against his. :)

You don't, but you must be a glutton for punishment. What did I beat you by the last time we had a shotgun race, I believe it was by about 20 seconds? But word has it you HAVE been practicing, so it should be pretty close this time. Maybe only 17/18 seconds.

Bring it on!!!

Jack

Yah, i've been practicing. I think i can kick your old skinny ass :haha:

No magwell either, you sneaky bastard! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Still no clear pics of this bolt that caused so much trouble.

I was noticing the same thing...

I will eventually need to mod my bolt and have it polished/etc. Would be nice if we could see some finished pics. I would not mind doing crap like this on an AK bolt, but they don't need such work. Secondly, botching the job on the saiga bolt would be a bitch since you will not be getting a replacement part any time soon. :/

JDT I have a Tromix S-17 and a few Izzy 8 rounders, do you think your mod to the bolt will improve on the modifications already made to it by Tony?

Im not totaly sure what Tony has done to the bolt except polish it real nice and I think a few relief cuts but again I don't really know for sure.

If you think your mod will further improve my ability to reload on a closed bolt even over the Tromix mods I'm sending my bolt to you ASAP (or do you need the entire gun)?

JDT I have a Tromix S-17 and a few Izzy 8 rounders, do you think your mod to the bolt will improve on the modifications already made to it by Tony?

Im not totaly sure what Tony has done to the bolt except polish it real nice and I think a few relief cuts but again I don't really know for sure.

If you think your mod will further improve my ability to reload on a closed bolt even over the Tromix mods I'm sending my bolt to you ASAP (or do you need the entire gun)?

If you can EASILY load a FULL magazine on the closed bolt, then Tony already did the modification. If not, then send me just the carrier and the bolt if you want them modified.

Give me a call or email me at jdtravers@hotmail.com prior to shipping for details.

Regards,

Jack Travers

561 317-9096

• 3 weeks later...
Still no clear pics of this bolt that caused so much trouble.

I was noticing the same thing...

I will eventually need to mod my bolt and have it polished/etc. Would be nice if we could see some finished pics. I would not mind doing crap like this on an AK bolt, but they don't need such work. Secondly, botching the job on the saiga bolt would be a bitch since you will not be getting a replacement part any time soon. :/

Bolts can be repaired