I cant find any S-12 dragunov stocks I like!

I have searched & searched & I can't find any Dragunov style but-stocks that I like! :angry:

I have long arms & big hands, so the idea of the Dragunov stock conversion that does not relocate the trigger is appealing to me. Plus the Dragunov, to quote some guy I read, "looks like the devils own riffle" It is just one sexy-assed weapon.

All that I find out there are polymer "skeleton-stocks" Don't get me wrong, their nice, they look new-age, I'm sure their light as a feather & I have seen them for as low as $86.00.(I think from a business member here?) I mean that IS the cheapest simplest way to get a pistol grip, if you, like me don't mind a fixed stock.

But I want wood. Call me old fashioned but if you don't plan on humpin' the thing through the war of Armageddon, or ambushing people in the dark, wood comes out so beautiful & elegant. It will not IMO detarct from the weapon.

So I am about to try my hand at making one myself. I am starting out with Purple Hart, it is a hard-wood that seems to be the strongest but least brittle wood I can find, I understand it is used for semi-trucks flatbed trailers to haul bulldozers. It is heavy as all hell but I'll see how much I can lighten it when gutting the middle to make it Dragunov like.

I'm thinking of making a tommy-gun clone fore grip too.

Has anyone else tried this before? Any pointers? I searched the forum but not much Dragunov comes up. :deadhorse:

Also here's a great niche for any of you entrapanureal woodworkers out there to fill! :dollar:

I'll Post Pics when I'm done.

There was a dude on here who had made a really really nice wood skeleton stock for the unconverted configuration. I'll dig up the thread later, I gotta leave the office for a few hours. You ought to just go on and convert the thing, though.

There was a dude on here who had made a really really nice wood skeleton stock for the unconverted configuration. I'll dig up the thread later, I gotta leave the office for a few hours. You ought to just go on and convert the thing, though.

Maybe I'm just justifying here, & I'm no giant but the A.K. dimensions feel small for me. I like having my hands spread out like they are with the stock trigger where it is. Also the next item on my wishlist is a couple of MD's drums. So I can't afford the conversion for a while.

post-19652-1249069782_thumb.jpg

I am copying the SVT wood stock (the one on the bottom). I probably will buy or not worry about the leather cheek pad as I don't intend on mounting a scope.

This wood "purple heart" is next to iornwood, the hardest wood I have ever tried to work. I will probably spend $60+ on blades & sandpaper alone. Boy do I wish I had a bandsaw (I am using a Porter Cable recriprocating saw, Skillsaw & B&D jigsaw). Well I WAS using a B&D jigsaw, but I just smoked it. That wood is REAL TOUGH, & its fighting back! :boxing: Time for a new jigsaw. I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!!! :super_man:

I started out tracing the factory Saiga's stock on the wood, then traced my Glock-17's grip in the correct position for where I want the grip with relation to the trigger. Then I drew the outside shape of the Dragunov-SVT over everything. I did all this so it ends up roughly the right size & my pistol grip part feels kinda like my Glock. (I am not a woodworker so I must PLAN WELL) After seeing its toughness, I figure I will gut the center with hole saws & drills then touch it up with rasps. I had planned on jig-sawing it out but it kills Bosch blades quick too! The tricky part will be fitting it in the right position in relation to the trigger. I want it close like the conversions. I also want to use both factory mounting holes & I don't want to cut ANY metal off the gun. I may end up welding a nut to the lower factory stock mounting hole though so I could run a bolt up through the pistol grip part, reinforcing the grip & mount at the same time.

I just cut the rough shape out, It took a while Cheap blades last about 10 seconds against this wood. Cheap tools don't fair so well either :angry: . I thought this wood was called Purple heart because of its coloring. I now am pretty sure it's because it never stops fighting when your wounding it. At least I'm confident that it can take the shock of this gun's recoil. :super:

Gotta get to sleep though, My Psych unit is hoppin' & I work night-shift.

Ill try to get progress pics up soon. And a new jigsaw.

BattlerifleG3.

Dang this forum is good. Thanks! if I cant pull mine together I will defanetly go through him. He does beautiful work. I know where I'll get my fore grip now!

With the cost of supplies & my time, BattlerifleG3 would probably be cheaper than I will end up in to this making it myself... But then I wouldn't have an excuse to get a new jigsaw.

I used a hole saw on my drill press to gut the wood as I don't have a router. I think this way is easier anyhow. I just sanded it down with a hand-held belt sander for an hour I even tried an angle grinder, but settled on the belt sander. I only removed 1/4 inch, I need to remove 3/4" more. I REALLY wish I had a table saw or bandsaw! it is in the classic Dragunov shape though. This isn't that easy to do. Unless your bound & determined to have the pride of your own handcrafted stock, just buy one.

I cant find my camera's cable but I will post pics eventually.

I stuck a PSL stock on my Saiga .223 conversion. Works for me. I likely won't be doing this with my Saiga 12, though, even though I have a spare stock, due to some unwanted bumpfiring episodes due in part to its recoil plate.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally am close to finishing that stock that I started a while ago. It is just mocked up in the pic. I need a detail sander next to finish it. Making the steel but plate will be the easy part as I have lots of steel working tools. After all this I think I am going to convert anyhow. The evilness of the converted look is growing on me...

post-19652-1250315424_thumb.jpg

Thats my little guy in the background...

post-19652-1250316194_thumb.jpg

another pic

post-19652-1250316285_thumb.jpg

The welcome wagon :devil: & Yes, Harley is wearing a "dog-tag" :smoke: