If thumbholes are not legal on imported rifles..

I glanced through Brownings Website and didnt see anything about them being imported.

But I have a Browning 1886 winchester 45-70, and sure enough, it says made in Japan. Although it also says Morgan Utah on it. I'm sure they have some sort of loophole.

friggin typos :rolleyes:

Edited by Onepoint

This is a sporting firearm as determined by the ATF if it is imported. My guess is that their reasoning is as follows:

1. It is not a semiautomatic variant of a automatic assault rifle

2. It does not have the ability to accept Large Capacity Military Magazines because the firearm in and of itself is not a military assault firearm.

3. It has no semiautomatic assault rifle features (albeit you can argue it has one - a pistol grip 'hidden' in the thumbhole.

Regardless... the only way these are importable (if they indeed are considered imports) is if the ATF considers them sporting. The only way you're going to find out how the ATF determined that these firearms are sporting is to probably write Browning USA and ask them VERY POLITELY sot send you a copy of the Tech Branch's evaluation report they received after submitting a a sample firearm for evaluation for import. Alternatively, you probably can file a Freedom of Information Act request asking for this information from the ATF, but it will probably take about 2 years to get a response (after multiple additional requests).

Just my 2 cents.